Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #16
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Alas, that's not possible if you are permanently outside Whispernet range.

[...]

If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.
You're wrong. You can access the Settings menu; you just can't change the settings. You can still go to Settings, hit Menu, and then hit Update Your Kindle.

Last edited by sirbruce; 04-21-2009 at 07:29 AM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #17
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
if permanently outside Whispernet

Quote:

Clearly, you can download the update without Whispernet, and of course you can copy it to your Kindle. But, if I've read it right, that's as far as you can go.

If you are permanently outside Whispernet (as I am), you cannot get to the Settings screen. That's because the Kindle has no way of knowing that it's registered to you. To get to Settings, you have to get past the screen that tells you to register. Which means you can't install the update

Why can't an Amazon customer rep fix that in their records and have it align with registration data for your Kindle?

With update 2.02 last time, they had guidance for update installations for people without Whispernet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...1manualupdates

Quote:
'Installing Software Updates Without Wireless Connectivity

Note: If you choose to download a Kindle software update to your computer and transfer it for installation to your Kindle via the USB connection, make sure you've downloaded the correct version for your Kindle model. Kindle software is only compatible with the model for which it was intended. Attempting to install an incorrect version may cause your Kindle to become unresponsive.

You can download the Kindle software update to your computer and transfer the file to Kindle via the USB connection. The update process will take approximately 10 minutes. When the update is completed successfully, Kindle will automatically restart and delete the update source file from your Kindle memory to maximize your available storage space. . . "
It says to call them if this cannot be done. It seems they should be able to get your Kindle to show the proper data so that you can access data.

I did the update manually tonight, with whispernet turned off. But my settings menu does have my registration data on it. I've not heard of others not being able to do this when they were out of Whispernet range. Some complained they had to do it manually. So, I THINK Amazon customer support or technical support should be able to make this work for you. ??
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #18
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, I completely misread what Mike said. Sorry, he *is* wrong; I'll edit my previous post.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #19
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:

Clearly, you can download the update without Whispernet, and of course you can copy it to your Kindle. But, if I've read it right, that's as far as you can go.

If you are permanently outside Whispernet (as I am), you cannot get to the Settings screen. That's because the Kindle has no way of knowing that it's registered to you. To get to Settings, you have to get past the screen that tells you to register. Which means you can't install the update

Curious. Have you tried manually downloading the update onto your Kindle, and then putting your kindle into sleep (screen saver) mode?

These updates are marked as "automatic" and should start updating within ten minutes of being in sleep mode.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Sorry, Sirbruce and Andrys, but I have to disagree with you both.

My point is that you cannot get to the Settings screen if you are permanently outside Whistpernet range.

Even though you can register the Kindle via Amazon's website, the physical device has now way of knowing that you've done that. Think about it ... if it cannot communicate with the outside world, how does it know it's been registered?

So, when you go to Settings, all you see is a message saying the device is not registered, and the only posssible action is to click on the "Register" link. But that doesn't work because you are outside Whispernet.

I accept that, once you enter Whispernet, the Kindle will know that it's been registered and you will be able to get to Settings and complete the software update. That's why I emphasise the work "permanently, above.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #21
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Clarknova,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Curious. Have you tried manually downloading the update onto your Kindle, and then putting your kindle into sleep (screen saver) mode?
No, I haven't tried that. It may well work. My comments were based on the statement in the original post in this thread: From Settings screen, press the Menu key, and then select "Update Your Kindle". My point was that I cannot access the Settings screen, for the reason stated above.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #22
JimK
JimK began at the beginning.

Manually updated my Kindle to 2.03 following the instructions below. Would not have found the update file without the instructions - couldn't find it going through Amazon. Quite a large file, 6meg.

Failed first couple of tries because I was downloading the update to the hidden 'system' folder instead of the 'root' folder as instructed. When I got it in the correct place, the 'update' menu option appeared in 'settings'.

May have been a coincidence, but my volume was essentially turned completely down after the update. Thought the MP3 and TTS was disabled, but simply turning up the volume fixed it.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
rubikscube99
Enthusiast
rubikscube99 began at the beginning.

thats not true..
my kindle does not know that it has been registered, i dont live in the US...
i cannot access the settings specifics, but i can access the main settings page. From your home page: click menu-->settings.
now it will take you to the page to prompt you for registration, but now click the menu key again, and select"update your kindle"

voila.
rubikscube99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #24
Mike L
Wizard

Rubikscube99,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube99 View Post
From your home page: click menu-->settings.
now it will take you to the page to prompt you for registration, but now click the menu key again, and select"update your kindle"
You're right. I didn't know about pressing Menu a second time. To be fair, that wasn't something I would have guessed, although I might have seen it if I had read the instructions more carefully.

I can now see Update Your Kindle in that secondary menu. It's greyed out in my case, but that would be because I haven't downloaded the update.

Interestingly, I can also now see the time of day for the first time. The fact that it's out by seven hours is no doubt a time zone issue.

Last edited by Mike L; 04-21-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
sirbruce
Provocateur

I think all the instructions very CLEARLY said to go to Settings first, then hit Menu and nothing about "select this entry in Settings", but I can understand the source of your confusion. Glad you got it all sorted out!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #26
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Manually updated my Kindle to 2.03 following the instructions below. Would not have found the update file without the instructions - couldn't find it going through Amazon. Quite a large file, 6meg.
Interestingly, the current "official" manual download 2.0.3 update file is 10.6 MB.

I wonder what the difference is? Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to downrev to 2.0.2. Or is there?

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #27
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
Interestingly, the current "official" manual download 2.0.3 update file is 10.6 MB.

I wonder what the difference is? Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to downrev to 2.0.2. Or is there?

El
Something is wrong with your update. It should be 6.16MB. I just confirmed this is the proper size by downloading it again.

Also, Amazon has updated their instructions to link to the 2.0.3 file now, but they still call it 2.0.2 in the text.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #28
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Something is wrong with your update. It should be 6.16MB. I just confirmed this is the proper size by downloading it again.

Also, Amazon has updated their instructions to link to the 2.0.3 file now, but they still call it 2.0.2 in the text.
Very weird. I re-downloaded and it is now the proper size of 6.16 MB.

Now to figure out a way to downrev to 2.0.2....

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #29
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Rubikscube99,
Interestingly, I can also now see the time of day for the first time. The fact that it's out by seven hours is no doubt a time zone issue.
Mike, just a caution. As long as the battery is functioning okay and doesn't have to be removed (as some used to do with the Kindle 1 when they carried two batteries and rotated them when travelling) which -officially- only Amazon can replace, the time will be as it was set at the factory, though it knows correct U.S. timezones due to whispernet time-pickups.

However, if it's removed for any reason, then it will reset itself to sometime years ago and the date is fixed when the unit next/ever encounters whispernet.

Now, that was true for Kindle 1, but I've not seen anything to indicate that this has changed for the Kindle 2 there. On the other hand, the battery will likely last you something beyond 2 years and it is replaceable by Amazon (I've read it's covered the first year but is $59 in the second year to send it to them - unless you've bought an extended warranty.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #30
Mike L
Wizard

Thanks for that, Andrys. It's useful to know. I'm not too worried about whether it shows the correct time, although I suppose it might affect the display of titles when sorted to date order.

I hadn't really taken in that the battery will need replacing one day. That will be a problem for me, because Amazon presumably won't ship the Kindle back to me, as I'm outside the US. Guess I'll have to find a friendly US resident to act as a go-between when the time comes.