Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Dead On Arrival???

My overarching question about the Iliad 2nd edition and/or the Iliad Book Reader is this: will the company continue to support and upgrade the firmware and software for this device? Are there enough Iliad users who can program to maintain the device competitive with the newer devices being released? I love the size of the Iliad, but I worry that I will not be able to read as much on it as I can on my Kindle 1.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
My overarching question about the Iliad 2nd edition and/or the Iliad Book Reader is this: will the company continue to support and upgrade the firmware and software for this device? Are there enough Iliad users who can program to maintain the device competitive with the newer devices being released? I love the size of the Iliad, but I worry that I will not be able to read as much on it as I can on my Kindle 1.

As a new iLiad owner I struggled with this very question. I also added in the idea that if I waited til the end of the year I'd find a less expensive and better produced product. This gathered from the information I found searching this board.

There is always advancement in any market for electronic devices. Think about your first MP3 player or your first computer. These things came and went. Some of them where hung on to some of them went away. I remember my C-64. Noone has one of those anymore. Very few people would have an Archos Jukebox 20 either.

What I came up with is as follows
  1. I can live with the power issue. I'll simply treat it like my cell phone and charge it as I sleep
  2. It does what it promises out of the box. I can read books on it and it has some wifi.
  3. The development commuity has been at work on the issues.
  4. The final thing that made me go with it was the iLiad OS bundles all the popular 3rd party software together.

With those things in place I figured it was worth the risk. I really want to have note taking and annoting pdfs in my book reader. This is my first reader and I think I made the right choice.

My Archos was not an Ipod but I had differnt wants and needs. That too was the right choice for me right up until I replaced it. The device I replaced it with is still not an Ipod but a newer model from the same small company. I think if you take a risk on a small company sometimes you get surpised with what you get out of it.

My advice is if this fits with your wants and needs it should be ok. After all in a year or 2 you will be replacing it anyway for something else because there is always advancement.

The only thing that truly saddens me about iRex is the lack of support from the company for the users base. Simply merging the advancements into the production code base will actually be able to supply upgrades to the other users via iDs. But that's for another soap box.
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Thanks for the food for thought, KewlKid38... I am still pondering
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
KewlKid38, nice way to say it.
It seems that irex has completely stopped updates for the iliad. The latest firmware for iliad is 2.12 and iliad be is 2.12.1. These were both from mid-2008.
However i like the promise that this device holds--the potential to support more formats than even the hanlin&clones.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Personally i have been itching to get the Iliad BE. I am not very much interested in its writing functionality. But i like the screen size as it should allow me to read my tech docs more comfortably.
If this was not my main condition my next best choice would be a BeBook.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
KewlKid38, nice way to say it.
It seems that irex has completely stopped updates for the iliad. The latest firmware for iliad is 2.12 and iliad be is 2.12.1. These were both from mid-2008.
However i like the promise that this device holds--the potential to support more formats than even the hanlin&clones.
The main things that I read are tech documents and the books I buy from RPGNow. They're mostly PDF's. I really don't have a need for other formats. What I have noticed is that someone usually codes something or ports something to read a differnt format as they get more popular.

I believe the choice of device is really personal and depend on which format your reading material is in.
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
My overarching question about the Iliad 2nd edition and/or the Iliad Book Reader is this: will the company continue to support and upgrade the firmware and software for this device?
No. They have already said that they will not be developing any new functionality for the iLiad. Their software development is now focused on the new DR1000 device.

Quote:
Are there enough Iliad users who can program to maintain the device competitive with the newer devices being released?
There is a pretty good developer community. However, it's always a question of what gets worked on. Are the things that you want to see added to the iLiad the same things that they want to work on?

Quote:
I love the size of the Iliad, but I worry that I will not be able to read as much on it as I can on my Kindle 1.
As far as formats, there are already more formats supported on the iLiad than on the Kindle, so I don't think that's going to be a problem. The only way you're going to be able to read more on the Kindle is if publishers get locked into an exclusive deal with Amazon for releasing their eBooks in the "kindle only" format. If that happens, then there's nothing the developer community (or even iRex themselves) can do about it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote