Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Mookie
Major Major
Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
Kindle2

CRAP - Kindle2 from Amazon was announced today. It has newspaper daily delivery. That did it. Pulled the trigger.

Know anybody that wants a Sony 505 with 125+ books on it?

see Engadget for best pix.

has basic web browser...

my only concern is the long term viability of the Sprint EVDO network.

I'm still convinced that Sprint is the walking dead. maybe the Amazon revenue will prop it up...

they must get a monthly piece of the action and a over-the-air delivery fee for each product (eBook) sold...

yeah, I know - too expensive.

but I buy over 200 books / year at B&N - the reduced book price (20-30% minimum) pays for itself...

Crud, I really like the 505, but the online delivery is tough to beat. Double crud my iRex 1000S arrives tomorrow...It was to be my periodical unit. Likely will be my PDF reader now.

regards,

Alex
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Mookie? Kindle has always had newspaper delivery. And magazine, and blogs.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Mookie
Major Major
Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
Subs

Better I didn't know that until now. That was the pent up need that being oblivious, kept until the new Kindle.

That's why my euphonious appellation is "Mookie"...I'm a mook.

Thanks for correcting me.
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I look for severed relations between Amazon and Sprint sooner than later
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Online delivery doesn't excite me, but I don't read newspapers on my Reader. I'd probably want it if I did

My brother's nickname is Mook...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
Better I didn't know that until now. That was the pent up need that being oblivious, kept until the new Kindle.

That's why my euphonious appellation is "Mookie"...I'm a mook.

Thanks for correcting me.
You just need to start watching the Amazon kindle pages.

Not a 'mook'. Just uninformed.

Stick around, we'll correct that........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Online delivery doesn't excite me, but I don't read newspapers on my Reader. I'd probably want it if I did
You know, I usually don't use Whispernet execept to flip it on so Amazon can send a book I bought to the device.

But, the other day I wanted to check the news and had my Kindle in my hand. I flipped on the wireless... went to the browser, went to the news site book marked and read a few articles.

It was very good experience. The screen is readable and the pages came down nice and fast. Sometimes you don't know what you have.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You know, I usually don't use Whispernet execept to flip it on so Amazon can send a book I bought to the device.

But, the other day I wanted to check the news and had my Kindle in my hand. I flipped on the wireless... went to the browser, went to the news site book marked and read a few articles.

It was very good experience. The screen is readable and the pages came down nice and fast. Sometimes you don't know what you have.

BOb
I read the news on my iPod touch That's not often though. LOL, I'd rather be reading a book!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
but I buy over 200 books / year at B&N - the reduced book price (20-30% minimum) pays for itself...
Alex, you and I are doing a heckuva job keeping B&N in business. I buy about the same number of books (about 85% in hardcover; the rest my wife buys in paperback) at B&N.

The book I'm currently salivating for and have on order from B&N is Abraham Lincoln: A Life by Michael Burlingame. I placed my order for it back in November and was able to snag the 2-volume set for $58 delivered (list price is $125 and current member price is $73.12). The reviewers (at least some of them) say that this is the definitive Lincoln biography to date.

And just to help B&N along, I have a dozen other books on order that will be published over the next 2 months. Now all I need to do is find time to read them all plus all the ebooks I have.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm looking forward to the day when a local library in my state offers checkout of ebooks. They offer audio books now online and I've enjoyed them greatly.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Do not let the Sprint component keep you back from getting a Kindle. If Sprint fails, there are others that would welcome a nationwide data network like theirs. It is too valuable to simply vanish.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote