Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what would have to be done to this cover to make it too similar? The photo is using a very similar picture with similar coloring and the same font with similar sizing and similar layout. It's so similar it's easy to mistake it for the original if the person looking isn't looking closely enough.
No it isn't. Even if I take off my glasses, the ships are different colors.
Now I am assuming if someone wants a Scalzi book, they know how to spell his name.
There are many sci-fi books with similar covers, why just choose this one to say it was a rip-off.
A halfway competent lawyer would use the inspiration defense and play a round of spot the differences.

Spoiler:
now having said all that, yes it looks like Vox is trying to capitalize on a knock-off cover

Please read spoiler.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yawn.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
To me it's weird that the two authors' names almost sound the same.

Edit: after some googling, it turns out that Johan Kalsi is a pseudonym. So, the whole point is to make the two books look the same. It would be understandable if that was done for straightforward "business" reasons (i.e. to make money), but it feels like the real reason is something weirder than that.

Last edited by rkomar; 03-24-2017 at 03:55 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Vox Day knows just what he can get away with legally. He's looking for attention, and everyone is obliging him. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out that he was the one who pointed out the similarities in the first place. He's probably bummed that Amazon reinstated the book. The book being yanked is better publicity.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-23-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 AM   #20
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, it makes me wonder where this news originally came from. The knock-off would presumably have sunk without trace if there wasn't some free publicity/notoriety from the news story.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Vox day and his cronies gamed the Hugo Awards. He has a thing for John Scalzi. Vox Day is a nasty piece of work. He just needs to vanish forever.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Scalzi can give as good as he gets. He doesn't need his fans to fight his battles for him.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Edit: after some googling, it turns out that Johan Kalsi is a pseudonym. So, the whole point is to make the two books look the same. It would be understandable if that was done for straightforward "business" reasons (i.e. to make money), but it feels like the real reason is something weirder than that.
Yes, Little Teddy is a creepy stalker with the emotional regulation of a toddler. That's all you need to know.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yes, Little Teddy is a creepy stalker with the emotional regulation of a toddler. That's all you need to know.
I disagree. He has the emotional regulation of a rock.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

What's Scalzi himself have to say on the subject? I haven't visited his blog for a long, long time. Mainly because he was always a bit too enamored of the utter righteousness of his own opinions for my tastes. Even so, I hope this newest series of his is good. I've just not been overly impressed with his body of work since Old Man's War. But I keep trying, in the hopes that something of his grabs me like that again. We'll see. Rest assured though, I won't be falling for VD's clever ruse when I do buy it. Not because of this thread, but because I'm literate. As I like to think many readers are.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What's Scalzi himself have to say on the subject? I haven't visited his blog for a long, long time. Mainly because he was always a bit too enamored of the utter righteousness of his own opinions for my tastes. Even so, I hope this newest series of his is good. I've just not been overly impressed with his body of work since Old Man's War. But I keep trying, in the hopes that something of his grabs me like that again. We'll see. Rest assured though, I won't be falling for VD's clever ruse when I do buy it. Not because of this thread, but because I'm literate. As I like to think many readers are.
Readers are literate. That is a news flash.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Readers are literate. That is a news flash.
I've read of some people buying this rubbish by mistake instead of the Scalzi book.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #28
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I've read of some people buying this rubbish by mistake instead of the Scalzi book.

That would be like buying a blue ford when you meant to buy a blue BMW.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Well now, that just proves some people don't look before they leap. Luckily Amazon has a 7 day return policy.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

But it said it was written by Scohn Jalzi! How was I to know the difference?