Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #46
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Just for your information, on Kobo Touch under FW 3.15.0, nickel does not message anything specific when entering standby.
Yes, the messages are gone in 3.15 for some reason. Instead it's showing some error messages (on the H2O, for me anyway), such as QWidget "infoContainer" has no property "spacing". And I simply use this message as well now, kind of a hack.

Not sure how else to track the standby state. Nickel does some fancy things when entering standby, such as reading the first sector of /dev/mmc0p3 using dd and removing some modules with rmmod, but I'm loath to hook into those for standby detection.

It doesn't seem to trigger any udev events either. Not sure how this standby of the Kobo actually works...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #47
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Well seems to work just fine on my H2O, though I suppose that's to be expected since you're using an H2O to test it out.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #48
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still good to know that it's not just me - since I have other mods on my H2O as well.

Why a particular message would appear on the H2O but not other devices with presumably identical firmware... and why Kobo would feel the need to remove such log messages... is beyond me.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #49
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Yes, the messages are gone in 3.15 for some reason. Instead it's showing some error messages (on the H2O, for me anyway), such as QWidget "infoContainer" has no property "spacing". And I simply use this message as well now, kind of a hack.
What I meant to say was that on Kobo Touch, I cannot see any (error or other) messages that you could use for your purpose. When entering standby it is just continuing to report the same things as it did before.

Last edited by tshering; 04-29-2015 at 04:45 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #50
frostschutz
Linux User

Could you post or PM me the output of logread -f in the seconds before and after going standby (by pressing power button)? So I could compare to what I'm seeing on the H2O. Thanks.
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #51
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With Screensaver > Show current read unchecked; I pressed the power button at around 15:42, and again at around 16:27:

Spoiler:
Code:
[root@(none) ~]# logread -f
Apr 29 21:15:36 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:15:36 dhcpcd[1719]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:15:42 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:15:42 dhcpcd[1731]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:15:48 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:15:48 dhcpcd[1744]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:15:52 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:15:52 dhcpcd[1756]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:15:56 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:15:56 dhcpcd[1768]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:15:59 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:15:59 dhcpcd[1780]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:03 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:03 dhcpcd[1792]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:06 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:06 dhcpcd[1804]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:10 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:10 dhcpcd[1816]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:13 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:13 dhcpcd[1828]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:17 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:17 dhcpcd[1840]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:20 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:20 dhcpcd[1852]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:24 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:24 dhcpcd[1864]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:27 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:27 dhcpcd[1876]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:31 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:31 dhcpcd[1888]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:36 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:36 dhcpcd[1900]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:39 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:39 dhcpcd[1912]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:16:45 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:16:45 dhcpcd[1924]: dhcpcd not running

With Screensaver > Show current read checked:
Spoiler:
Code:
[root@(none) ~]# logread -f
Apr 29 21:19:17 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:17 dhcpcd[2301]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:19:23 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:23 dhcpcd[2313]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:19:27 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:27 dhcpcd[2325]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:19:28 nickel: QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
Apr 29 21:19:28 nickel: QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
Apr 29 21:19:34 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:34 dhcpcd[2338]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:19:38 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:38 dhcpcd[2350]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:19:44 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:45 dhcpcd[2362]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:19:49 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:49 dhcpcd[2374]: dhcpcd not running
Apr 29 21:19:52 nickel: void WirelessManager::off() false
Apr 29 21:19:52 dhcpcd[2386]: dhcpcd not running
Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #52
frostschutz
Linux User

Thanks... that's... completely different. Looks like a dead end, as far as the logread idea is concerned anyway. I'll have to come up with something else, then.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #53
Cecell3000
Enthusiast
Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
using old pngcat(3.13.1) with new pack, is working.

tested: kobo Glo 3.15.0
Attached Files
File Type: zip test-KoboRoot-ScreenSaver3150.zip (562.5 KB, 721 views)
Cecell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 AM   #54
tshering
Wizard

So the culprit was not the missing message? Maybe I did not wait long enough when I logread?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #55
frostschutz
Linux User

Hum. Not sure why the pngcat binary changed at all, it was supposed to change screensaver.sh only. Even so, without the log message it would not work.

Although I'll have to update pngcat anyhow for the Glo HD, just not sure which resolution it uses; if someone has telnet on a Glo HD, the output of "fbset" would be interesting.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
fbset on my Glo HD gives:

Code:
mode "1072x1448-45"
        # D: 80.000 MHz, H: 65.681 kHz, V: 45.049 Hz
        geometry 1072 1448 1088 3072 16
        timings 12500 16 102 4 4 28 2
        accel false
        rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
endmode
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #57
Kobo_Mao
Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecell3000 View Post
using old pngcat(3.13.1) with new pack, is working.

tested: kobo Glo 3.15.0

Don't work on my Glo (FW 3.15)!
Kobo_Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #58
frostschutz
Linux User

This might support the Glo HD, I have no way of testing it myself.

@Kobo_Mao, you might try this one as well, the previous package had some errors. Also make sure you've disabled Kobo's screensaver settings (no cover/progress, just a blank sleeping screen).

Edit: Maybe I'm drunk, but it appears I've uploaded the wrong files three times in a row now

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-28-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #59
Kobo_Mao
Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
This might support the Glo HD, I have no way of testing it myself.

@Kobo_Mao, you might try this one as well, the previous package had some errors. Also make sure you've disabled Kobo's screensaver settings (no cover/progress, just a blank sleeping screen).

Edit: Maybe I'm drunk, but it appears I've uploaded the wrong files three times in a row now
I tried it but it is not working.
I disabled Kobo's screensaver settings.

Do you think to be my fault?
Sorry for my english!
Kobo_Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #60
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo_Mao View Post
Do you think to be my fault?
No, it's due to whatever changes Kobo made to their firmware. Although I'm not sure why it would work for Cecel3000 in that case. Maybe installed Mark 5 firmware on a Mark 4 device or something like that? (not recommended)

I'll just have to find another / more reliable way to detect standby.