Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Help! I need something interesting to read!

I've got a tiny, tiny little window of free time for the first time in ages. And I'd like to read something really good with it. I hardly ever get to read fiction and would like a good, gripping, somewhat spooky or scary novel.

Unfortunately, I don't know the market that well.

I like King okay... particularly I found his last few books really interesting, "Duma Key" and "Bag of Bones" I loved. I loved the story "N." in his last book of short stories... but generally speaking, he doesn't do a lot for me.

I read Clive Barker a lot about a decade ago.. I don't think he has anything out I want to read, though.

I'd like something scary... but smart. Ancient evils, old ruins, ghosts.. all good. Monsters don't do a lot for me.

I'd also be happy with something with an ancient mystery, etc... like Dan Brown (but good!) Indiana Jones meets Foucault's Pendulum.

Any suggestions?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
If you haven't read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz, give it a try. Not ancient mysteries really, but plenty of creepy stuff, esp(ish), ghosts, and a mystery.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
What about Short Stories? I particularly like "Snow, Glass, Apples"; you can find it in Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors.

His stories are more of a mind-twist than scary, but could qualify as spooky.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

@sirbruce I actually have that book, and it is excellent. But I'm definitely in the mood for a novel. Something big enough to sink my teeth into.

Looking at Odd Thomas... Going over the sample now.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I've got a tiny, tiny little window of free time for the first time in ages. And I'd like to read something really good with it. I hardly ever get to read fiction and would like a good, gripping, somewhat spooky or scary novel.

Unfortunately, I don't know the market that well.

I like King okay... particularly I found his last few books really interesting, "Duma Key" and "Bag of Bones" I loved. I loved the story "N." in his last book of short stories... but generally speaking, he doesn't do a lot for me.

I read Clive Barker a lot about a decade ago.. I don't think he has anything out I want to read, though.

I'd like something scary... but smart. Ancient evils, old ruins, ghosts.. all good. Monsters don't do a lot for me.

I'd also be happy with something with an ancient mystery, etc... like Dan Brown (but good!) Indiana Jones meets Foucault's Pendulum.

Any suggestions?
Scary, but smart, eh? Very well, sir, I can recommend Douglas Preston. I just had a wonderful reading experience with "The Cabinet of Curiosities."

I highly recommend this!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Since you mention Dan Brown (but good), I'd recommend "The Genesis Code" by John Case, although I don't know if it's available as an ebook. Here's the link to the author's website:

http://www.johncase.com/GensisCode2.html
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Storm Front, by Jim Butcher, the first in the Dresden Files.

Seriously, this series is awesome. Not scary, but awesome.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

The Dresden Files are a blast. I tore through them all in one week in Mexico last year (nothing like Montezuma's Revenge to keep you indoors and reading on vacation!)

Haven't read the last one yet. Waiting for the ebook-being-crappy thing to work out.

Going to give Preston a go. He wrote the book that the movie Relic was based on? I'll not hold that against him.

I also really enjoyed "The Alienist" if anyone has any recommendations along that vein.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
The Dresden Files are a blast. I tore through them all in one week in Mexico last year (nothing like Montezuma's Revenge to keep you indoors and reading on vacation!)

Haven't read the last one yet. Waiting for the ebook-being-crappy thing to work out.

Going to give Preston a go. He wrote the book that the movie Relic was based on? I'll not hold that against him.

I also really enjoyed "The Alienist" if anyone has any recommendations along that vein.
See? I'm so good at recommending books I read your mind unintentionally I have one more to read (really trying to draw it out) and then the newest, I'll let you know if it's clean or not.
*nevermind, forgot you had a Kindle. My LRX copy won't help you much
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I would also recommend Preston and his coauthor Lincoln Child. Other suspense/thriller authors that I like are Phillip Margolin, James Grippando, Michael Connelly, Brian Haig and Lee Child.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I haven't read it, so I can't recommend it, but as soon as I finished a couple of other books, I'm going to buy Drood by Dan Simmons.

http://www.amazon.com/Drood-A-Novel/...ref=kinw_dp_ke
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I've got your scary, and your smart. One - House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski - isn't available as an e-text. And it's a big book, as in physically big. But one of the best books I've ever read, period.

Apart from Drood, mentioned above, I would very, very strongly recommend Dan Simmons' previous novel, The Terror. I *think* it's available as an e-text. Either way, you'll thank me.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
I've got your scary, and your smart. One - House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski - isn't available as an e-text. And it's a big book, as in physically big. But one of the best books I've ever read, period.

Apart from Drood, mentioned above, I would very, very strongly recommend Dan Simmons' previous novel, The Terror. I *think* it's available as an e-text. Either way, you'll thank me.
"The Terror" is available - at least at Amazon - and is quite a read. Runs a bit long, but very enjoyable. I second the recommendation.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
You said that you like Clive Barker. Have you read one of his more recent (possibly his most recent) Mister B. Gone?

One of the best openings for a book a have read in a long long time!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Sounds like Tolkien to me.. it has everything you are looking for... ancient evils and mysteries, intrigue, gripping battles, heroic deeds. Start with "The Hobbit" and you will never look back.

Yeessssss... my precioussssssssssssss............

DonW.
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote