Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Highly Challenging Vote • July 2013, Multiple Choice
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner 5 23.81%
The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding 6 28.57%
The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 6 28.57%
Paradise Lost by John Milton 5 23.81%
Histories by Herodotus 10 47.62%
On the Nature of Things by Lucretius 7 33.33%
Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann 12 57.14%
Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en 6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
but I think you are too harsh with the Buddenbrooks! At least, I remember finding it a page turner in my salad days - though admittedly I read it in an Italian translation, that might have been the difference - I read that Lowe-Porter's translation is somewhat stiff.
I read the Lowe-Porter translation and I still thought it was a page turner. It reads like the Victorian novel it is, pubished the year Victoria died (if German novels can be considered Victorian). Very different in tone from his modern work.

Kobo also has it in the Woods translation, at least for the US. I admit I blanch at spending $14 on a novel and while I'd prefer it in ebook given its heft, I think I will hie me to the university library today for the pbook.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I'm assuming the one I found on Kobo is in English, but it didn't come up under Thomas Mann, as it's listed as Mann Thomas. I found it by entering the title.

Maybe medard is right, as I couldn't find it in my local library's catalogue!
If this is the edition published by Emereo Publishing ($7.16 Can.), while it is listed as being in English, it is actually in German (at least the preview I downloaded was.) Too bad as it is couponable as well as being half the price of the other edition at Kobo (Vintage International) and the edition at Amazon (Vintage International.)

Last edited by llcj; 07-07-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Additional information
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I am currently one out of one on the waiting list for the ebook of the Woods translation of Buddenbrooks at the FLP. That generally means a wait of one to ten days in my experience for any that might want to jump in to be next in line.. Still hoping that Herodotus might surge to the win though. It's looks to be limited to a two race now.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
My library (Overdrive) had the John E. Woods translation published by Vintage International (originally published in hardcover by Knopf).
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
The link I got on overdrive for Woods' translation
http://rclreads.lib.overdrive.com/F8...F7B21D25830%7d
Google Play probably also has it and Chapters Canada has it.
If anybody wants that one, I think you should be checking isbn 9780307780959
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

None of my Overdrive libraries of which Boston is the largest has Buddenbrooks. Maybe Herodotus will win! Because that's cheap.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #22
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
None of my Overdrive libraries of which Boston is the largest has Buddenbrooks. Maybe Herodotus will win! Because that's cheap.
Maybe
Though I do think it's rather strange that Buddenbrooks are so expensive (Amazon is also selling at 14$), and Magic Mountain doesn't even exist as commercial ebook.
Seems to me there is some conspiracy
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Maybe
Though I do think it's rather strange that Buddenbrooks are so expensive (Amazon is also selling at 14$), and Magic Mountain doesn't even exist as commercial ebook.
Seems to me there is some conspiracy
yes, and anglophone one: in the UK, it is an outrageous £18 if you want the ebook, while in italy is less than €7 - the pbook costs more than the epub in Italy, while it is massively cheaper than the electronic version in the UK. go figure!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
yes, and anglophone one: in the UK, it is an outrageous £18 if you want the ebook, while in italy is less than €7 - the pbook costs more than the epub in Italy, while it is massively cheaper than the electronic version in the UK. go figure!
£18? £18???

That's just insane.. And I thought fourteen bucks was high!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
£18? £18???

That's just insane.. And I thought fourteen bucks was high!
i beg your pardon, that is ex VAT: the full price is £21.60
http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/...E9780307780959

pity one can't resell it, otherwise you you lucky ones could make a fortune
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quick people who haven't voted yet: vote for Herodotus!!!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
If this is the edition published by Emereo Publishing ($7.16 Can.), while it is listed as being in English, it is actually in German (at least the preview I downloaded was.) Too bad as it is couponable as well as being half the price of the other edition at Kobo (Vintage International) and the edition at Amazon (Vintage International.)
How right you are: mine said Language: English, but I downloaded the preview and sure enough, it's in German. And it's the only version on offer here in Oz, so I'll be stuck if it wins.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Well, I see that Buddenbrooks has won. I'm getting the distinct impression that quite a number of us aren't going to be able to participate in this month's discussion. Should we do a quick head count on who will be able to get hold of the book (at a reasonable cost)?

I'm stuck: I can't get it from my library (actually a network of a number of quite large suburban libraries) as it just isn't in the catalogue, and it seems the only e-book version I can get is in German.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #29
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah - I feel like a total heel because I voted for Buddenbrooks based on the fact that it was written by Thomas Mann and I stupidly did no research whatsoever.

When I realised that it was over 700 pages and I wasn't going to be able to get it anywhere unless I spent $14, I was desperately hoping for anything else to win.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #30
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
You can get Budenbrooks for free at Project Gutenberg in German. I found that trough Google.

Maybe next time it would be easier to check the price of a book first. Anyway, looks like I can contribute some stuff this time. I've read the book some years ago. It took me months.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote