Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
If Sony came out with a limited edition front lit reader, would you buy it?

How much would you pay? What other must-have features would you want for a "premium, limited edition" Reader?

I'm just thinking how Kobo is marketing the Aura as their limited edition device for heavy bibliophiles, and I think Sony should do the same.

For me:
I think I'd pay around $200 for a high quality, metal-build, hi-res, front lit reader with built-in Overdrive (and while I'm dreaming, 3M Cloud Library) eInk reader. It could come in some unique color - like, say Navy Blue.

I guess I just want the 950 with the T1/2 firmware, the hi-res screen, and a front light. I'd even forgo the 3G.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i remember when sony had the trade-up program for the T1. a friend traded in an old 505 (which i gave her) and got $50 towards the purchase of the T1.

i currently have several devices, one of which is the 950. i would gladly trade it in (or sell it) in favor of this mythical device, should it become real.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I guess so, i'll buy especially if it's limited edition and from SONY. budget will be from $200-250 oh yeah. that's cool
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Depends. Are they using the newer front-light technology or that old crap they had before? Are they still using the Android firmware? Have they *finally* updated the ADE to allow it to read B&N ebooks without stripping the DRM?

I love my 350/650s. I tried a T1 and never warmed up to the changes in the firmware (losing the alphabetic TOC on the right-hand side was a big big deal for me).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If it was the x50 line of readers, with the sturdier build and that software that allowed PRS+, then yes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I'd be willing to pay a higher price for it over the current front-lit readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
I actually care more about weight, holding comfort and overall size more than the metal build. I want ereaders to be as light as possible and the bezel to be as thin as possible, and I also want the build material to really feel comfortable in the holding hands, and yes I really want the page turn buttons (and front lit too).
In short, I want ereaders to simply deliver the best possible reading experiences, and nothing more.

Last edited by ghero; 06-05-2013 at 11:04 PM.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
elea
Nameless Being

I don't think that I would. I don't want to buy a new ereader for the sake of having a new ereader. I am a "heavy bibliophile" and the PRS-T2 with the official lighted cover suits me just fine; there's a light always attached, my battery lasts ages, I can store over 30,000 books on my reader if I so choose, and the clarity of the lettering is on par with a paper book. I have no need to upgrade, although if it breaks and a limited edition model happens to be out at the same time... Well, I certainly won't say no.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I wouldn't unless they really improved their software stability as much as I'm a fan of Android I think Sony really need to work on their software and I'd actually rather see them moving back to the days before the T1/T2.

Just as an example I've about 2,000 books which I can't browse on the reader I need calibre to find my next book to read. anytime I try to browse through my collection on the reader I get maybe 20 pages in at best before the software restarts itself.
I know it's definitely a Sony stability issue as I've had a couple of T1's and both did the same thing they could alleviate the issue slightly if they let you browse by letter but they lost that with the android move as well.

I think sonys more than capable of making good ereaders they have done it in the past but I don't think they will again and I think they will just keep falling behind until they have to give up the reader business which is a shame as they basicly started it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I'd buy it if it didn't require me to install Sony's [language] on my PC

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-08-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Language moderated
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I'd pay 200 Euros for a navy blue 6' Sony Reader, too.

And I'd need some nice accessories, plze.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I have my black 650 and pray it never breaks because I will need to find a replacement. I really don't want to move up to the T-x generation. Other than a constant on hand light, it is perfect for me.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'd buy a better Sony reader, limited edition or not.

I'm not saying what it has to have to make me buy it, because I don't know.

Better screen, better size/weight, more stability, and built in light could all be a decision maker. Lack of any would not be a deal breaker

I like my T1 okay although it is not as stable as the x50s and the screen is no better. But I wouldn't have bought it. Was a gift from my roomates.

Did not buy the T2 although the screen seemed slightly better.

I did buy a KObo mini because of size and price, and an Aura because I was in a self indulgent mode, and they are both nice in many ways. Once you are reading a book they work for the most part, but even there they have problems. And even the T1 is far more reliable/stable and noticeably faster (my perception and I read on both Sony and Kobo regularly) in most ways.

So I am hoping Sony comes out with something close to equivalant hardware-wise and not as annoying software-wise. Better and I would ecstatic.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
what was the date they released the PRS-T2?

i'm getting very, very frustrated now to hear of a new model PRS-T3

300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #14
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
what was the date they released the PRS-T2?

i'm getting very, very frustrated now to hear of a new model PRS-T3

IIRC Sony usually release new readers in Autumn
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
It would have to be at least 7" and lighter than the Kobo Aura.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote