Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #106
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Just one piece of advise: make sure you have a solder remover* handy; as a budding solderer it can save your ####.

* Sorry, they correct name escapes my feeble brain at present. It is basically a little tube with a spring action pump that sucks air in quickly when released. You just put the nozzle to the solder (warm) that you wish to remove and suck it up.

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #107
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
Just thought I would provide a small update, boring as this long saga has become.

I have kinda given up waiting on my friend to do this for me. I ordered a "Learn to Solder" kit from an electronics store. I'll futz with that some, and get myself a real soldering iron when I'm done, then re-open the M92 and see what I can do.

If I completely fry it, I'm no worse off than I am now!
If I remember right I've sent you motherboard with already soldered joystick and a small board with buttons for the case if you cannot resolder the old one. Don't worry. It is quite unlikely you will make it wrong. In any case you have still the option to send it to our lab...
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #108
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
Just one piece of advise: make sure you have a solder remover* handy; as a budding solderer it can save your ####.

* Sorry, they correct name escapes my feeble brain at present. It is basically a little tube with a spring action pump that sucks air in quickly when released. You just put the nozzle to the solder (warm) that you wish to remove and suck it up.

Cheers!
CJ
I believe my friend called it a "solder sucker," but that may not be an official name either.
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #109
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
I believe my friend called it a "solder sucker," but that may not be an official name either.

CJ
Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #110
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Have Onyx offered support / replacement? is it out of warranty. Sorry, I got here late.
This is exactly the sort of press Onyx dont need. Its not a cheap device and it needs to be robust.

If I was to ship one to the States and this happened, I wold be pissed.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #111
jopesalva
jopesalva began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx BOOX M92 Negro Perla (negro)
The device is purchased in Poland with the same problem ...
The cost of the plate sending it to Spain? Supports plate? Thanks

Last edited by jopesalva; 06-15-2014 at 07:15 PM.
jopesalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #112
jopesalva

Sorry translations, not English .. google translator;-P
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #113
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Have Onyx offered support / replacement? is it out of warranty. Sorry, I got here late.
This is exactly the sort of press Onyx dont need. Its not a cheap device and it needs to be robust.

If I was to ship one to the States and this happened, I wold be pissed.
Booxtor and I are working things out. I'm hopeful again that this will have a happy conclusion. I was feeling pretty bleak about it, I admit.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #114
jopesalva

Quote:
Booxtor and I are working things out. I'm hopeful again that this will have a happy conclusion. I was feeling pretty bleak about it, I admit.
Same problems as you, waiting for solution
As they say in Spain ... fingers crossed;-)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #115
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
In Dutch, it pretty much is: 'soldeerzuiger' or 'tinzuiger', literally 'solder sucker' or 'tin sucker' (solder is either 'soldeer' or 'soldeertin' ('solder tin'))

Officially it's a a 'desoldeerpomp' ('desoldering pump'), but I have never heard it being called that. 'Tinzuiger' is the most common name for it in Dutch.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #116
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
In Dutch, it pretty much is: 'soldeerzuiger' or 'tinzuiger', literally 'solder sucker' or 'tin sucker' (solder is either 'soldeer' or 'soldeertin' ('solder tin'))

Officially it's a a 'desoldeerpomp' ('desoldering pump'), but I have never heard it being called that. 'Tinzuiger' is the most common name for it in Dutch.
Ok, it is settled then: A sucker it is!

CJ
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #117
jopesalva

Artatech yesterday asked me a photo of the black screen on my M92
Now what I do not understand, if a breakdown of them, I have to pay the shipping costs.
I hope problem is resolved ...
Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #118
chexmix
Zealot

If I wind up with a working M92 in 2014, it will (partly) make up for my having had a heart attack a few weeks ago.

No joke. I was on my first hike of the season, most of the way up a mountain in New Hampshire. I lay back to rest and blammo.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #119
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
If I wind up with a working M92 in 2014, it will (partly) make up for my having had a heart attack a few weeks ago.

No joke. I was on my first hike of the season, most of the way up a mountain in New Hampshire. I lay back to rest and blammo.
Yikes! I keep telling people: exercise is to be avoided! (Just look at Rik Mayall.)
Are you going to recuperate fully?
If you don't mind me asking, what is your age?

Anyway, best and speedy recovery to you!
CJ
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #120
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
Yikes! I keep telling people: exercise is to be avoided! (Just look at Rik Mayall.)
Are you going to recuperate fully?
If you don't mind me asking, what is your age?

Anyway, best and speedy recovery to you!
CJ
Thanks! I'm 52.

The docs tell me I will be able to return to normal life, including hiking. I mean, there was ... damage, of course, so the heart itself can never be quite the same as it was, but I was extremely lucky.