Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #46
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Giller Prize in Canada was just awarded to Hellgoing: Stories by Lynn Coady. Short stories and only the second writer to win the Giller for short stories. The other winner in that respect is Alice Munroe (this year's Nobel winner) who won twice. I might have to fit this into my reading next year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #47
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
James Salter, Dusk and Other Stories.

I had left my reader on a bus after a late-night flight cancellation and was travelling with a lot of junk for a conference. Wanting something to read, i went to the local bookstore and chose this because it was the slimmest volume outside of Trout fishing in America, which i've already read. Lucky me. This one is very good.

At his best, Salter's narratives come off as something you've dreamed. I like that quality; it's something that i try to do in my own writing. My favourites from this collection are -- just about all of them.

On my reader, i was re-reading Camus' la Chute (the Fall). It's a classic for a reason. Depending on your definition of "short" this one might qualify as a very long short story.

Last edited by barutanseijin; 11-09-2013 at 10:21 AM.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #48
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Alice Munro has just won the Nobel Prize for Literature and writes mostly short stories.

And I'll second Damon Runyan - I love the way he reduces me to tears of laughter.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Communist by Richard Ford
(from the scribner anthology of contemporary short fiction)
It is the final story in his collection Rock Springs.

Excellent story. It is a reminiscence of a boy at 16 years of age. It presents the boys young widowed mother, her communist boyfriend and their interactions and then in the last page or so slaps you up beside the head. Particularly the last line.

Man! He is an incredible short story writer.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #50
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't know if this is worthy of a thread of it's own, but I just saw that my local library (for the first time that I know of) has

The Best American Short Stories 2013 available for check out as an ebook!

Woo-Hoo! I always pre-order these anyway, but I'm thrilled to see the library offering short story collections!
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #51
kennyc

The Summer People by Kelly Link - WOW! She just gets better and better. I read this in the lastest O. Henry Award Winners 2013. What a wonderful, magical, fairy-tail-like story! Highly recommended!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just read Signs and Symbols by Vladimir Nabokov. Really enjoyed it.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #53
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Just read Signs and Symbols by Vladimir Nabokov. Really enjoyed it.
Good one! On line at The New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/194...ARDS_000214135
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #54
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just read one of the most popular short stories of all time- The Necklace by Guy Demaupassant. Excellent story with a great moral lesson and twist ending!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #55
Gazella
Wizard

kennyc, I'm looking for a collection of the world's greatest short stories, or something similar, in ebook form. Do you know of any you can recommend? I've found this on Amazon, and it's exactly what I'm looking for but the reviews don't help.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #56
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
kennyc, I'm looking for a collection of the world's greatest short stories, or something similar, in ebook form. Do you know of any you can recommend? I've found this on Amazon, and it's exactly what I'm looking for but the reviews don't help.
Unfortunately the good/great anthologies are not available as ebooks as far as I know.

The one you link too I've seen it appears to be a collection of public domain stories/fables/etc. -- particularly given the price. Based on the description is sounds like a number of good stories are included, but I don't see a table of contents....so I'm skeptical...reviews are pretty negative....but for $2....

My best loved anthologies are the Scribner ones (I have two different editions) but they are North American and the Norton One but they are paper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068...pf_rd_i=507846

Newer One with a few different stories:
http://www.amazon.com/Scribner-Antho...ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Antholo...ogy+of+fiction

I have a number of other anthologies but would rate them as the 'next tier down' still very good though.

also there is a Norton anthology or world Literature: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Antholo...tion+anthology

and this: http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greates...tion+anthology
(which I have - good stories)

This is a good one too: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Story-Inte...tory+anthology
(We used it in the Goodreads short story reading group)

another good one, but "American" - http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Book-Am...tory+anthology

Last edited by kennyc; 11-21-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I feel like a lot of people in this thread are ignoring the word "just" in the topic title. :P
There is also an older thread on "Your Best Short Stories" - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+short+stories

and the book club is currently taking nominations for short story collections for next month's read. - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227465
Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #58
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Unfortunately the good/great anthologies are not available as ebooks as far as I know.

The one you link too I've seen it appears to be a collection of public domain stories/fables/etc. -- particularly given the price. Based on the description is sounds like a number of good stories are included, but I don't see a table of contents....so I'm skeptical...reviews are pretty negative....but for $2....

My best loved anthologies are the Scribner ones (I have two different editions) but they are North American and the Norton One but they are paper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068...pf_rd_i=507846

Newer One with a few different stories:
http://www.amazon.com/Scribner-Antho...ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Antholo...ogy+of+fiction

I have a number of other anthologies but would rate them as the 'next tier down' still very good though.

also there is a Norton anthology or world Literature: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Antholo...tion+anthology

and this: http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greates...tion+anthology
(which I have - good stories)

This is a good one too: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Story-Inte...tory+anthology
(We used it in the Goodreads short story reading group)

another good one, but "American" - http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Book-Am...tory+anthology
Excellent! Thank you so much. Just got The World's Greatest Short Stories (Dover Thrift Editions). Will definitely check out the others later.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #59
kennyc

I was just browsing in my local library and noticed that both of the latest short story collections - The OHenry Prize stories and The Best American Short stories 2013 are both now available for borrowing as ebooks! This is through my local library overdrive -- the selection varies from library to library.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #60
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really liked the first couple of stories from Rodrigo Rey Rosa's The Beggar's Knife.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote