Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #1246
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Can't speak about the rest, as it's stuff I'm not familiar with, but CM doesn't handle FW 5.4.3/5.4.4, so that's completely normal.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #1247
dzoulias
dzoulias began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 WiFi 6"
I have 5.4.2.1
dzoulias is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #1248
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whoops, my bad. Make sure you're using the latest versions of everything, and jot down in details the errors you're encountering, because it's kinda hard to tell you much more than than just by guessing .

Bonus question: Would than happen to be a 3G Canadian PW2?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #1249
dzoulias

It is the PW2 non 3G US/International model.

For the light toggle, it simply does not work.
The Hacked Up reader disappeared
And the collection manager says it encountered an error when I run it.

I use all the links in he original post of this thread...

Please tell me what else to look for in order to diagnose the issue and tell you.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:20 AM   #1250
dzoulias

Anybody?
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #1251
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzoulias View Post
Anybody?
Still waiting for the complete text of the error message.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #1252
JacquesTati
JacquesTati began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
As you can see in the attachment, with the Kindle Paperwhite you can scroll through the various definitions of the word "match" (three in this case) by tapping on the arrow keys. This is not allowed on the Kindle Touch. Is it possible to achieve the same function with this launcher?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2014_05_10T11_26_19+0201.png
Views:	303
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	122818  

Last edited by JacquesTati; 05-10-2014 at 10:04 AM.
JacquesTati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #1253
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JacquesTati: Double-posting is evil. (And doubly so when posted in completely unrelated threads).

The search UI inconsistencies between Touch/PW1/PW2 have been discussed numerous times in the main forum. There was a JBpatch tweak at one point to alleviate some of those.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-10-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #1254
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Updated the helper extensions to 0.2.N, I added a "Device ID" button that, well, prints the ID card of the hardware (and generic info about the FW version).

That was mostly to complement and double-check my listing of Kindle boards in KindleTool's sources (something I kept thinking: "nah, I'm not writing that down, I'll remember!" 3 years later, surprise: I'd forgotten the names of most of the pre-K4 boards! ), but, hey, it might come in handy one day ;D.

Think of it as an extended, on-device version of the Kindle S/N wiki page.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-10-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #1255
JacquesTati

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@JacquesTati: Double-posting is evil. (And doubly so when posted in completely unrelated threads).

The search UI inconsistencies between Touch/PW1/PW2 have been discussed numerous times in the main forum. There was a JBpatch tweak at one point to alleviate some of those.
Oh, sorry for the double-post. Do you remember in which topic this issue had been dealt with?
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #1256
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JacquesTati: JBPatch lives in its own thread here, as for the discussions, in *a lot* a different threads in the main forum. It came up yesterday with the 5.4.4.2/5.4.3.2 releases, for example.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #1257
JacquesTati

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@JacquesTati: JBPatch lives in its own thread here, as for the discussions, in *a lot* a different threads in the main forum. It came up yesterday with the 5.4.4.2/5.4.3.2 releases, for example.
Thanks.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #1258
Ffan
Ffan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First of all great work and great forum. Very useful :-D
Second, I got two questions:
The first would be that for some reason my KUAL menu show a JBPatch entry. I don't know how it go there or how to get rid of it. I just installed JBPatch out of curiosity, but the menu entry doesn't work. I know how to create a working one but that of course wasn't the point. I have since deinstalled JBPatch and would like to know if/how I can get rid of the menu entry. It's not a big deal but I hope someone can give me at least sone clues if it is possible^^
The other issue is somewhat more complicated I'm afraid. Since I jb'ed (mainly for Collections Manager really) I noticed alot more battery drain. Basically I'm left with a couple of hours. So I went back and got rid of anything I though not essential, this is what I currently have installed then:
KUAL-v2.3, kual-helper-0.2.N, kual-kual-plus-0.2.N, kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N, k5_rescue_pack_20131220, kindle-mkk-20140214, kindle-python-0.10.N
"Apps": CollectionsManager_2.6.2, kindle-linkss-0.17.N
Not much as you can see, the only thing I could still get rid of without loosing the purpose of the JB (Collections Manager) would be python + screensaver. I'm gonna try this in the near future, but meanwhile I was wondering if someone might have some insight here, if the problem could be related to something else. I experimented a bit and had a couple of other things installed (fonts, kindle-menu, jbpatch), could it be some "remnants" of any of those? What would be the best approach to find out and fix it ?

Thanks in advance, I'm aware that the battery drain could probably stem from multiple sources which makes it a pain in the a** to figure out.
Ffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #1259
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What kindle model and what firmware version?

How many books / documents do you have on the device?

Has the indexer completed all of its work?

Do all of your screensaver images display?

- - - - -

None of the things you have added should have effected the run-time.
Any chance that the run-time was degraded prior to adding these modifications, and you just had not noticed? (Battery storage capacity does decrease with age / use patterns.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #1260
NiLuJe
BLAM!

What knc1 said .
By virtue of being an 'app', you can strike the KUAL stuff from the list of culprits: they only do something if you ask them to.
The JB, MKK & the Rescue Pack are both basically a single or a couple of files that don't do anything besides sitting there being useful, so, same deal.
CM is also a Kindlet, same bag as KUAL.
Python is, well, the Python interpreter, so, if you don't do anything with it, it doesn't do anything.
That leaves the ScreenSavers hack, which, in default mode, will churn a tiiiiny bit during boot, and then nada, and, if in cover mode, will churn a good deal for a few seconds when you open a book. If the book has already been opened once, the impact should be near-zero, though.

So, yeah, unless you spent your time opening new books like crazy in cover mode, none of what you have left should have any impact (even a non-significant one) on battery life.

TL;DR: usual culprits: Indexing, huge catalog (either of books or collections, the new 'Cloud Collections' stuff might have made things worse in regards to the performance impact of collections).

As usual in these instances, htop over SSH is your new best friend to investigate .

As for the JBpatch entry, check your extensions folder, it should come from something in there that doesn't look like it belongs to what you still have left installed.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-12-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified