Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have Kobo glow and have some questions about registration and ebooks

First, my Kobo glow is in the U.S. When I go there Dec. 20, I'll be able to register it.

Here are my concerns:

I'm thinking of buying a few ebooks right now from Kobo.com BEFORE I register the Kobo.

(1) Will there be any problems later when I actually register my Kobo Glow?

(2) Can the calibre plugins handle the conversion of epubs bought from Kobo.com, so that I can read them on my other devices?

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There shouldn't be any problems. I had an account I used with other Kobo devices and I was able to register my Glo on my account. Kobo was strictly an ebook store for a time before they launched their first device.

Quote:
(2) Can the calibre plugins handle the conversion of epubs bought from Kobo.com, so that I can read them on my other devices?
Kobo offers epubs in two different formats. When you sync your device wirelessly or through the desktop software, the Kobo epub (kepub) versions are synced onto your device. However, most books also have an Adobe epub version available. What I do when I purchase a book on Kobo is sync the kepub onto my device, but I also download the Adobe epub as a backup. The standard Calibre plugins for the Adobe adept DRM works on these files.

The books I've seen that don't have an Adobe epub version are usually free classics, but you can also get those from Project Gutenberg or elsewhere. Just make sure to check first, before you purchase an ebook, to make sure it's available in the Adobe epub version.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
First, my Kobo glow is in the U.S. When I go there Dec. 20, I'll be able to register it.

Here are my concerns:

I'm thinking of buying a few ebooks right now from Kobo.com BEFORE I register the Kobo.

Thanks,
Don
1- you can buy books now, register your reader later as long as it's the same account. I had been buying Kobo books a long time before buying my first Kobo reader!
2- yes the Alf plugins work but not on the books purchased directly on the device; they are "kepubs" and only work on Kobo devices. You have to use a computer to download the actual "epub" from your library on the Kobo site and convert that copy in Calibre for reading on other devices.
I personally never buy books using my Kobo readers, I always purchase on my PC since I run everything through Calibre. That's because I buy from several sources including Amazon and have several different devices I read on.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you Suzanna and Cdesja5.

I'll go ahead and register now.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Yep, my experience is the same as the other posters.

I bought my first Kobo ereader (Glo) on Friday and had otherwise been buying Kobo books for over a year.

I used my lap top to install the software on my Glo, not wifi, and just gave my normal Kobo account details. (You realise that you need to install the Kobo software on the device as the first activity?)

As part of the installation process you will be asked to download the Kobo desktop software which is different to the kobo.com interface.

All your previously purchased Kobo books will load into that program, and that's where you can sync your device. You can access the bookstore from within that program as well.

I don't bother using that program unless I want to sync something because i don't like it - I just use the kobo.com still. (Each to their own on that point)

Also - I just use Calibre to copy files onto the device - so again, there's no need for me to open the Kobo Desktop.

I got the Glo because of the light, and from that point of view I'm not disappointed. (My Sony is just too dark for me)

Edit:

I forgot to mention that of course you can save your book/s to the micro sim card as well, without having to attach the device.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-09-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert