Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #46
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floodlit World View Post
I remember we had the same problem when DRM first started. People spent hundreds of pounds downloading music from online stores, then one day, the stores were like 'sorry, we're going out of business, and our DRM will be discontinued so none of those songs you paid for will be working ever again.'

I just buy a TB drive every year or so, fill it up, label it, and then stick it in a box somewhere. I know they can crash and everything, but I haven't had one go so far, and I know that it'll be there if i need it.
Same thing here. When they cost more and I seemed to have time, I might recycle the drives.
Now, I just buy a 1TB or 2TB drive for a hundred or so, and copy everything I can on to it. Then I just store it somewhere. Always some in protected boxes, fire safes, safe deposit boxes.

They just sit there.Never seem to have to go hunt for a file.

It is one of those "just in case" things that make you feel good like insurance for the kids but you hope it is never used.

I know several other people who do the same thing.

Some things though that you might want immediately you can store online in Mozy or gmail even. But that is for info, records or even old pictures, not music or videos.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #47
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
They want to know everything about everybody to improve their personalized ad-targeting algorithms.
As clinically paranoid as that sounds, it is, unfortunately, quite plausible in Google's case.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #48
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
They want to know everything about everybody to improve their personalized ad-targeting algorithms.
^ =

The problem everyone has is that everyone wants a super-mobile device--an iPad, a Galaxy something-or-other, a Fire, and those all come with fairly limited storage. At the same time, everyone wants access to terabytes worth of media. It's a conundrum waiting for a wise solution.

For now, my wife and I have rolled our own dropbox-style set up with a Pogoplug and Goodsync. There was a bit of a learning curve, but we can use Goodsync to sync both of our laptops to one another, and then my laptop (with up-to-date files) to our Pogoplug drive, which we can then access from any device with a web browser, anywhere in the world. And there's no storage size limit--we can always upgrade the drive to a larger one and still have all our files ready to roll.

For now, I like having all my files on my laptop--I have a huge hard drive, so it's no problem. But I'm seriously considering the Slate, and in that case, I think I might just keep my documents at hand but access my media through the web interface. Keeps my files in a "local storage" situation, allows me enjoy a tablet.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #49
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Look at what Google did with collecting everybody's Wifi data. And what happened? Were they severely punished? Does anyone really know if they have deleted any of the data? So, how can you trust any of them?
What does that have to do with storing things in the cloud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Are the danish courts going to pay to keep a cloud server going if the company goes out of business?
Of course not, and why should they? Data backup is not the governments duty but your own, and has nothing to do with privacy violations.
Quote:
Who indemnifies the victim if soem kind of trade secret stored in the cloud is stolen by an employee of the cloud company?
The company in charge of the employee that stole the data, exactly as in any other case of stealing IP.
Quote:
The cloud is a tool, but not the only tool of all tools. There are times and places for it, but Woz is correct: if it's not on your computer, it's not really yours.
What a weird way of looking at things.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #50
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
It shows that we can't really trust the gatekeepers with our data.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #51
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
It is a direct indication of the lack of trustworthiness of one of the largest cloud vendors (that being a big problem with cloud storage and applications: no security or privacy)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #52
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
It was unintentional in the sense that it wasn't some clandestine program by Google to breach people's security for their own nefarious purposes, as Hans seemed to be implying.
Well that isn't what unintentional means. Something doesn't have to be nefarious to be intentional.
I don't think senior management ordered it, but I do think (because they have admitted it), that people within Google did intentionally design and deploy wardriving code.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #53
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Well that isn't what unintentional means. Something doesn't have to be nefarious to be intentional.
I don't think senior management ordered it, but I do think (because they have admitted it), that people within Google did intentionally design and deploy wardriving code.
How could it be otherwise in a company of that size? I was once a programmer (industrial control) and the plotting and scheming that goes on in even that specialized, relatively stable environment, is phenonomal.

I have three friends who are IT managers in companys selling data storage and management to medium sized businesses. They have all built in back doors and in more than one case booby traps into the systems.

I have asked them why and get a longwinded explanation involving paranoid revenge scenarios or the more honest "Because I can". Generally their employers don't know about it officially, but if I have been told about it by them personally I am sure many others have been as well.

I try not to store any business or banking or other confidential information even on my own hard drives except for one external drive I have for that purpose and do not attach when I am online. Not that I think anyone particularly wants my info, but seems sensible (and easy and cheap).

Like they say with asassination, no-one is safe if someone really wants to kill you, no-one is safe if they really want your data. Cloud storage with Google is no more dangerous than gmail with Google or Hotmail with Microsoft or the many social networking sites. If someone targets you, even for advertising purposes, they can get information a lot of easier ways than by searching through your cloud data or the whole world's cloud data.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #54
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Very much agreed. They may not have any intention of doing it now, but they can if they want to at any time in the future. They are a profit-driven company after all. I just don't like to see this possibility becoming true, regardless of how small that possibility may seem to be.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote