Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
bspooky
bspooky began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Wish there was a battery charger

Yeah, I know, the battery last a few days with wireless on and a week or more with it off, but having more juice for camping / extended times or just convenience is something I want.

There is an extra bettery but what a pain if the battery can only be charged while in the device. An external battery charger is also needed. Are there any?????

Being able to just swap batteries when one is low means you can keep using the Kindle w/o ever having to plug it in and charge it....if you have two batteries and an external battery charger that is.
bspooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
What I want is a cable that has a standard USB connector at one end (for plugging into my universal USB chargers and battery packs) and the round Kindle input jack at the other end. It has to be the round jack because Kindle will not charge using USB input unless it comes from a PC...and if you do have it plugged into your PC, you can't use it for reading at the same time.

You can use it while the round charger cable is plugged in though.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
charliearmoryco
charliearmoryco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
As for the lack of a stand-alone charger, if you have soldering skills you could make a cable and use a universal Li-Po battery charger. The only one I've used is the DuraTrax® IntelliPeak ICE (you can do a Google search). It's a little expensive but it would definitely do the trick if you can build the cable. According to Wikipedia, the battery is a 3.7V, 1530mAh lithium polymer type.

As for a cable to go from a USB port to the adapter's barrel connector the problem is that USB doesn't supply enough current to drive the fast charger attached to that input. According to the USB specification, "dumb" devices can use a maximum of 100mA (the barrel jack would count as a "dumb" device). Smart devices can request up to 500mA, but I still don't think that's enough. You can double check the specifications (probably listed on the adapter) but I expect that the Kindle's barrel jack probably draws about an amp.

This is why the Kindle charges more slowly through the USB port than the barrel jack.
charliearmoryco is offline   Reply With Quote