Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Bridgestone A3 4096 Color QR-LPD Display

Looking through Newlaunches.com I just noticed some pictures of Bridgestone's new A3 4096-color e-paper display. Only 80 DPI though.

Quote:
Bridgestone Japan has developed an A3 sized color electronic paper it was showcased at the FPD International 2007 exhibition held at Yokohama. The A3 sized electronic paper has a display area of 435 x 326mm and can display 4096 colors at 80dpi resolution. The display makes use of QR - LPD (Quick-Response Liquid Powder Display) which the company has been developed over the years. The charged particles repel each other delivering a response time of just 0.2 mini seconds. Apart from being the biggest the electronic paper is also the thinnest in the world at just 0.29-millimeters.
More pictures at the original article here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electronic_paper.jpg
Views:	1591
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	6633   Click image for larger version

Name:	electronic_paper_2.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	6634  

Last edited by adinb; 10-21-2007 at 06:02 AM. Reason: added the sideview image
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The colors look rather dull and muted.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
80 DPI isn't so bad when you have that many colors to choose from per pixel, but I wonder how much power it draws?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
And what is .2 mini seconds anyway? :-) are there 10 mini seconds in a maxi second?

80DPI is old CRT (72DPI) and it causes a lot of eyestrain. There was a demo at Almaden Research labs of an IBM 300DPI e-ink type display that was simply gorgeous, you could absolutely not tell it from paper.

That being said, if the panel has a gamut of 4096 colors at 80 DPI, I wonder what its DPI is at 2 colors? Probably not 16 x 80dpi but even at 4x it would be stellar.

--Chuck
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was just wondering how long a "mini second" was . I would guess that it's probably a typo for "millisecond".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was just wondering how long a "mini second" was . I would guess that it's probably a typo for "millisecond".
It's pretty smallish compared to a regular second and very much so compared to a maxi second.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It compares pretty much to my attention span.

Does this display remind you when colo(u)r LCD came out? Eink looks aiming towards computer markets.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The colors look rather dull and muted.
Hard to be sure, but there may have been some glare involved.

...okay, a LOT of glare involved...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Hard to be sure, but there may have been some glare involved.

...okay, a LOT of glare involved...
Like a spotlight was shining on it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I wouldn't judge the quality by the photo at all, lots of stuff can go wrong, the entire photo looks bad.

As to the device. I will need to get a bigger bag and much longer arms. My arms are already getting shorter and shorter as I get older.

Perhaps it could replace coffee table books. Think how much that will wind up people who are attached to dead tree books
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Perhaps it could replace coffee table books. Think how much that will wind up people who are attached to dead tree books
And here I was thinking, "It's great for ads, but not much else at that size!" You're right, it could work for coffee-table books (just a bit smaller, I think). Imagine people keeping all of their coffee-table books on such a device, with a "display page" that showed thumbnail covers of each book, or rotated through full-size covers! That's a Sharper Image gadget, if I ever heard one.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd like to have one to spread out pages of code on, so I can see more than one page at a time.

It'd be nice for some of the magazines I read, too, like Lapidary Journal.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote