Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The 505 in libprs500

Just committed initial support for the 505 (command line only, linux only) to svn. I'd appreciate a little testing from those of you that have the 505 and use linux.

The command line interface is the same as that for the 500 (i.e. the command prs500)

You may need to install dbus-python (also called python-dbus)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Incidentally does anyone know how I can find programatically where a given USB removable drive (identified by product and vendor ids) is mounted on windows?
Advert
Old 10-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Incidentally does anyone know how I can find programatically where a given USB removable drive (identified by product and vendor ids) is mounted on windows?
Working on auto-sync features ? ;-)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No need that to support the 505 in libprs500.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No need that to support the 505 in libprs500.
Do you think it's possible to enable libprs505 to be able to use and create collections on the 505? That way people not on Windows can setup collections as they want. Even with the new menus, I still use the collections.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah it already supports collections on the 500 supporting the on the 505 will be not much extra work.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So is this easier then you expected it to be to get it working with the 505?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I expected it to be easy and it is. The only hard part is the operating system integration for 3 different OSes. I expect windows and OSX to give me much more trouble, but atleast users of the 505 wont have driver conflicts with the connect software.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
what specifically about osx...

Quote:
I expect windows and OSX to give me much more trouble, but atleast users of the 505 wont have driver conflicts with the connect software.
...do you believe will be problematic? Determining if a volume is a removable (for example) is rather trivial, for example...
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

An hour of googling and the best way i can come up with in windows to find where a particular USB drive is mounted is a commandline program, which would impose a lot of unecessary overhead when polling.

I haven't looked at OSX but from my past experiences I'm dreading it. Both OSes because they have a strict policy of "users" first seems to have a dearth of good development tools that are also free. Of course I may not be the best judge of things, since I am mostly a linux guy.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No one knows how to do this?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 AM   #12
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The entire development environment...

Quote:
Both OSes because they have a strict policy of "users" first seems to have a dearth of good development tools that are also free.
...for mac os x is in fact free, ships with every mac, and is included with every commercially sold copy of mac os x; it is also available in its entirety as a free download from apple.

anyway, os x has a mechanism that is the inverse of polling (very inefficient) where you simple tell the os to tell you when a removable is mounted, what it was, and then your code decides what to do with it.

I'm not a python guy, but i know that pyobjc bridges the cocoa apis direct to python...and that this bridge actually will be shipping by default on the system with 10.5. right now, you bundle it if you wish to use it.
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

mrkai, but what about system running a prior OS X such as 10.4 or maybe 10.3?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
shondark
shondark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi! I've been reading this forums for a lot of time and now that I'm almost in possesion of my PRS-505 y want to try to participate a little more..

I don't know but maybe this could help you Kovid.

http://www.ureader.com/message/1018345.aspx

If not, if you could explain what do you want this function to do we could try to help you.

And sorry for my english... :P
shondark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
sputnik_1
sputnik_1 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
No one knows how to do this?
I think what you're looking for is this key in the registry :

HKEY_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Enum\USB\Vid_054c&Pid_031e

As far as I know, those Pid's are unique per device -- so you should only see those if you have a PRS-505 that's been attached. Doing a search for this key may be the easiest way, I'll dig and see if there's another easier identifier.

Last edited by sputnik_1; 10-19-2007 at 10:14 AM.
sputnik_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libprs500, prs-505