Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Books go into your library if...
Free or paid, I only select books that I *know* I will want to read. 40 35.40%
If it's free, I'm more likely to pick it up, but I still verify it's something I'm interested in. 64 56.64%
Free books pretty much automatically go into my Calibre library, whether I will ever get to them or not. 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Do You Gotta Catch Em All?

We've got a good thread going about "voracious readers" so I thought it about time for another poll.

Poll options:

1. Free or paid, I only select books that I *know* I will want to read.
2. If it's free, I'm more likely to pick it up, but I still verify it's something I'm interested in.
3. Free books pretty much automatically go into my Calibre library, whether I ever get to them or not.

Obviously, there will be wiggle-room on these -- dicuss!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll start. I pretty much pick up anything if it's free. (This has caused issues with my Amazon/B&N Recommends, let me tell you.) There are some genres that I KNOW I don't like, and I stay away from those, but if it's in a genre I like, into the bin it goes.

This has been tremendously fun for my Collector Gene, but it DOES result in a lot of overhead. I like to get covers and metadata perfect in Calibre, and now I'm also stripping out embedded-fonts... it takes time.

But I'm happy.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-07-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Free gives a slight edge: i.e. I'm just a little bit more likely to get something if I know it's free. OTOH I don't get books unless I have good reason to think I'll like them.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I used to grab anything and everything that came up free, but that's led to my libraries at Amazon and to a lesser extent B&N being cluttered with stuff I will never read (at some point I plan to permanently cull those books from my library). I now only grab the freebies that at the very least peak my interest a bit (although it doesn't always take much to peak my interest ).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I've always worked on the principle that if, when I first see something, I think I might enjoy it then get it - I might not see it again and/or it may never be reprinted. My definite point tends to be a negative rather than a positive, if I don't think I'll read it, if it's something I have no interest in or feels like rubbish then I don't bother. Means that I probably have far more than I'll ever be able to read but you can never have too many books...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've reached the time in my life when, with the most optimistic outlook, I know that I'll never be able to read everything I want to in the years that remain to me . I am therefore somewhat selective in what I read, and price is not a consideration. There are many classics I want to read for which being out of copyright and therefore available free of charge is nice, but an expensive scholarly edition with a decent introduction and good footnotes is even better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm with Harry. There's not enough hours in a day, days in a week, weeks in a year, to read everything I *know* I want to read. Price (i.e. free) can be a determining factor, but I don't download books willy-nilly.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm with Harry. There's not enough hours in a day, days in a week, weeks in a year, to read everything I *know* I want to read. Price (i.e. free) can be a determining factor, but I don't download books willy-nilly.
Well, I should clarify that I don't expect to read ALL of them. I expect to TRY all of them, and probably give up and move on to the next one within the first 50 pages.

The willy-nilly behavior stems in part from the fact that judging a book via cover is still such an inexact science.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I've always worked on the principle that if, when I first see something, I think I might enjoy it then get it - I might not see it again and/or it may never be reprinted. ... Means that I probably have far more than I'll ever be able to read but you can never have too many books...
This is pretty much me. I chose the second option, but since I like a variety of genres and topics, "verifying it's something I'm interested in" doesn't do much narrowing down.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'm an inveterate freebie-gatherer when it comes to those time-limited promotions offered by publishers in the stores. It really is like a Pokémon game, with bonus points if the publishers giveaway in all the major stores at once.

For other giveaway freebies, such as indie-Smashwords-with-coupon, I'm a lot more selective and pass up any that are Not Relevant To My Interests, and sometimes some which are if they look like they're poorly done.

As for how many of these things I actually read, I thought that less than 1% would have been an exceptionally generous ratio to expect.

But actually, this year so far, I've read 14 giveaways and I've gone on to purchase or wishlist works from 11 established authors, which out of the literally hundreds of store-promo freebies I've added this year alone, is a pretty good 5% or so return.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
2. If it's free, I'm more likely to pick it up, but I still verify it's something I'm interested in.

But I'm getting more & more selective even with the free.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'll only download something if it's of interest to me. I dont download any old rubbish simply because it's free. I've yet to read any of the free books I've downloaded however I also have just as many if not more purchased books that I've not read yet but I intend to read all the books on my kindle one day!
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I've always worked on the principle that if, when I first see something, I think I might enjoy it then get it - I might not see it again and/or it may never be reprinted. My definite point tends to be a negative rather than a positive, if I don't think I'll read it, if it's something I have no interest in or feels like rubbish then I don't bother. Means that I probably have far more than I'll ever be able to read but you can never have too many books...
I agree. I never feel guilty about buying too many books and now that I've got an ereader I can horde them as much as I want to as they don't take up any physical space (plus the OH doesnt complain as he cant see them ). Right now I have enough books to last me several years but I'm still buying more all the time.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 06-07-2011 at 02:38 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I have a ton of freebies that I haven't read...I do take the time to see if I really want it but there are so many to get! I would say I read about 3-5% of the free books I get...
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I tend more towards getting a book if it is free (or very low priced) though I have bought a few that I wanted that weren't free. And some of them can be listed under research as well depending on genre as I can see how others have written books in that genre.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote