Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Can Kindle App for Android be used on Nook Color?

Can the Kindle App for Android be used on Nook Color?

I'm interested in buying that Nook Color for myself to supplement my Kindle 3 WiFi but want to only read eBooks purchased in the Kindle store at Amazon.

I want to be able to read and synchronize any eBook I buy on both devices.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yes, but you need to root the Nook Color and add Android Market. I don't know the details but I've rooted several other Android devices and it's not too hard.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is "root?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Yes, but you need to root the Nook Color and add Android Market. I don't know the details but I've rooted several other Android devices and it's not too hard.
What is "root?" How does one do this on the Nook Color?

What is "Android Market?"
Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #4
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What is "root?" How does one do this on the Nook Color?

What is "Android Market?"
Root would be where you would have 'super user' rights on the OS (Operating System), allowing you to make changes that you would not normally be able to do, similar to but not quite the same as 'jailbreak' on the kindle, which in turn allows you to install screensaver and font hacks. Android Market is the same as the app market on iTunes for apple devices, allowing you to install applications for the Android OS. I hope the above helps.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Quote:
Can the Kindle App for Android be used on Nook Color?

I'm interested in buying that Nook Color for myself to supplement my Kindle 3 WiFi but want to only read eBooks purchased in the Kindle store at Amazon.

I want to be able to read and synchronize any eBook I buy on both devices.
Here's detailed write up on how to run Kindle for Android on Nook Color
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
note that the nook color just released a firmware update. The "auto-nooter" that was commonly used to root the older firmware hasn't been updated yet for the new firmware. As of right now, all of us who are technical dunces and need that "put this file on a SD card, stick in in your nook at let it run" process for rooting are kind of in waiting.

I guess/hope it will probably be released fairly soon.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

Too dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Thanks for the link. However, that let's me out. I wouldn't think of violating either Nook Color or Kindle3 with that "root" solution for the former or the "jailbreak" solution for the latter.

If I could have installed Kindle 4 Android directly on the Nook Color, I would have purchased a Nook Color immediately. I already purchased one for my granddaughter.

However, unless B&N enables the ability to run Kindle 4 Android, I won't buy it.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:

However, unless B&N enables the ability to run Kindle 4 Android, I won't buy it.
What possible reason in the world would they have to do that? That's cutting their own throat.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Not likely that they'll ever do that. If you want a tablet that you wouldn't have to root and can add any apps you want to, a 7" Galaxy Tab might do the trick (although it's $100 more than the NC).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard

Waiting for Kindle Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not likely that they'll ever do that. If you want a tablet that you wouldn't have to root and can add any apps you want to, a 7" Galaxy Tab might do the trick (although it's $100 more than the NC).
I expect that Amazon will be selling a Kindle Tablet by the end of this coming summer. I'll wait for that.

B&N is stupid not to allow Kindle apps. I spend far more money on eReader Devices than on eBooks. They could have made another $ 250 from me which is the equivalent of TWENTY-FIVE ebooks. I only read about 5 to 6 ebooks every year.

Actually, all the eReader manufacturers, Amazon, Sony and B&N, should make their eReaders compatible with everyone's ebooks. They could make far more money allowing us gadget freaks to buy all their eReaders and read all eBooks with them. The eReaders cost the big bucks versus neglible costs for the eBooks.

So far I've purchased a Sony PRS 900 eReader now being used by my wife, a Nook Color to be given to my granddaughter on her birthday and an Amazon Kindle 3 for my own eReading. I used to own a Sony PRS 505 which I gave to my granddaughter last year.

If they made all their eBooks compatible with all three manufacturers, I'd be buying their eReaders every year to have the latest and greatest. Their real revenue is in sales of the eReaders, not the eBooks.

Last edited by sirmaru; 05-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.