Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
spearcarrier
spearcarrier began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi all: new with a "how to" question!

I'm sure a lot of writers such as myself come to this forum because of the digital issue. So in that I'm not unique. (My unique qualities are all in person, lemme tell yoouu).

So I've my work on Kindle. It's earned me all of a buck 25. LOL. But tha'ts not the issue.

The issue is I don't like it that my stuff is locked only into Kindle. Okay, yes I do have stuff also up on Lulu but I was researching other ways to put stuff out. I was also considering taking my old book from ten years ago, Black Wolf Silver Fox, and offering it for free ijn the digital world. It's old. I've learned more since then. It's time to move on.

So what I'm looking at is the expansion of 2 books and several chapters of 2 comics. S'a lot of material, wot.

With that said, I'm just not finding anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Does anyone have any suggestions?
spearcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Create a website for yourself and offer your book in various formats.
Microsoft LIT
Mobipocket MOBI
Adobe PDF
ePub

Use the program calibre to create the conversion for you.

Then register with all kinds of forums and blogs and advertise your book.
Maybe even create a torrent file and make your book available on p2p networks.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
You can offer your ebooks for free here at Mobileread, and at Feedbooks.com, Manybooks.net, and Smashwords.com. (And other places, but those are the easiest to find.)

You can charge for them at Smashwords.com, and offer them in several different formats, and allow people to download a sample (often, 10-25% of the whole) before paying. I've heard Feedbooks will be adding an ebook store as well. (Or I think I've heard that; haven't kept up with recent developments there.)

Our Workshop forum (under ebook formats) has advice & tutorials about document conversion; plenty of people can help you figure out how to get from whatever you've got now, to good quality sharable ebooks, in whatever formats you'd like to offer them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I've used Scribd, Smashwords and Feedbooks.

General impressions:

- Scribd is simple. Create account, upload document, share with world. On the other hand, the interface is halfway between social network and fileshare, and I find it... irritating, I guess. You can sell content IF you're in the US.

- Smashwords is fairly easy to get going with, although to get a GOOD looking ebook you need to follow the formatting guide scrupulously. You can sell or offer ebooks for free, regardless of where in the world you are (Paypal acct required for international payments). It'll take a .doc or .rtf and port it to the various formats for you. Images can be... problematic. Offers the most formats.

- Feedbooks produces the best 'conversion' due to making you cut and paste each chapter/section of your book into it separately. Bit of a pain to do, but it does give the best-looking output. Offers the popular formats - epub, mobi and pdf.

Does that help?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prose marketing