Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
3rd Kindle 2's The Charm!

Just got my replacement Kindle 2. It is my 3rd one. The first one had a very strange problem where some letters did not form properly (most at fault were the bowls of the small letter 'e' which were about a 10% gray if the rest of the letter was considered 100% as a reference). The second Kindle 2 which I have been using I was pretty happy with after installing the font hack and a dark Decalgirl skin. But then we had a sunny day a few days ago (the weather in Long Island has been reminiscent of Seattle) and I took it outdoors. Yeppers, the dreaded screen fade problem. So I called Amazon CS and they immediately overnighted me this 3rd one.

Wow.

There is no comparison as to visual quality of the display. This one's letters (default font) are formed much more evenly throughout the page then the last one is side by side comparison of the same page of type. But, most surprisingly, the grayish background of the e-ink display on the new one is at least 10% lighter in gray tone then the older one, maybe more. So the visual contrast between type and background is far, far better on this number 3.

On the one hand I am thankful to Amazon for replacing those Kindles and finally supplying me with this one. They do have great customer service.

On the other hand, given the difference in displays I am rather disappointed in Amazon that they have not issued a general recall of the Kindle 2's to replace them all with this if-not-newer then more-perfected technology. I would suggest to anyone that if they have am older Kindle 2 that could be returned and exchanged for any reason that they do so.

Of course, I put the font hack on (the Georgia font) and have ordered a replacement Decalgirl skin. With those two together I think the clarity of this one will rival any e-ink device.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
On the other hand, given the difference in displays I am rather disappointed in Amazon that they have not issued a general recall of the Kindle 2's to replace them all with this if-not-newer then more-perfected technology. I would suggest to anyone that if they have am older Kindle 2 that could be returned and exchanged for any reason that they do so.

Of course, I put the font hack on (the Georgia font) and have ordered a replacement Decalgirl skin. With those two together I think the clarity of this one will rival any e-ink device.
While there are a number of Kindles that were released with screen issues, I don't think the number is high enough to warrant a recall of all units. I purchased 2 K2's within minutes of the becoming available for pre-order. Neither of them has had any problems with the screen (no problems with my K1 screen either).

I'm glad you were finally able to get a unit that works for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert