Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #19981
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up is Moon Over Soho, by Ben Aaronovitch. This is #2 in the Peter Grant series set in an urban fantasy London. I really enjoyed the first one, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.
Ooh, that was fun. I think I'll go ahead and read #3, Whispers Underground. I must say, I'm quite enjoying these books. Police procedural in modern London, with urban fantasy overlaid. Oh, and a protagonist who is not a DCI, not a toff, and not white.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #19982
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Last Horseman by Frank Zafiro, one of the Thrilling Thirteen books. Next up, The Confessor by Daniel Silva
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #19983
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Ralph 124C 41+ by Hugo Gernsback.

My oldest unread purchased ebook, from June 2004. And rather an old story indeed - first published in 1911. It turned 100 between my buying it and now!
More typos than I'd like. And horribly dated science. The story line's trite. And there are info-dumps everywhere. But even so, a remarkable range of ideas for a work so old.

Next up: Something a bit more recent - the latest Analog SFF, September 2014.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #19984
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
This week (Monday through Sunday), I'm participating in a Library Book Read-a-Thon. The objective is to focus your reading on books obtained from the library and participate in discussions on the books you're reading, the library you use, etc. So far, I've completed two library books: Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau and Sub-Human by David Simpson. Both are eBooks.

Currently I'm reading (also library books) -- Post-Human by David Simpson and Sorcery & Cecelia -or- The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. Enjoying them both!
I finished reading Post-Human and also Bad Blood by Dana Stabenow. Bad Blood was a DTB which I had requested through my library's online catalog. It's the 20th and last (so far) book in Stabenow's mystery series set in Alaska and starring Aleut PI Kate Shugak. I'm anxiously awaiting another book since this one ended on a cliff-hanger which wasn't "and they lived happily ever after".

Still working on Sorcery and Cecelia -or- the Enchanted Chocolate Pot, a charming fantasy novel set in Regency era England.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #19985
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Finished "The Missing of the Somme" by Geoff Dyer, about the British memory of WW1. It's the first of his works that I've read. Really enjoyed the quality of the writing, and the leads to other writing suggested. Have put his book on jazz ("But Beautiful") on my TBR.

Currently reading "A Life Worth Living: Albert Camus and the Quest for Meaning" by Robert Zaretsky, and Albert Camus "The Plague" in parallel. Read "The Plague" 45 years ago and loved it; figured it was time to revisit.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 AM   #19986
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
And if you can accept Tom Cruise as Reacher, then Selleck as Jessie Stone is easy.
Apache
Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was awful. I've read the book the movie was based on and the movie wasn't good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:30 AM   #19987
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Fortune's Stroke", the fourth book in the "Belesarius" alternate history/military SF series by Eric Flint and David Drake. I actually read it as the second half of the "Storm at Noontide" omnibus edition, which contain both the book and the previous one, "Destiny's Shield". Excellent, as have been the other books in the series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #19988
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I tried buying it from Kobo a few months ago. When I purchased it showed the right book, but when it downloaded it was the 3rd in the series - A Second Chance. I reported it, they gave me my money back and said they would let me know when the problem was fixed. Still haven't heard anything.
That happened to me too, except that the CS person told me "we don't know when it will be fixed so I'll have to check by yourself" (more or less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Quarter of the way through now, and it's just as good as the first.

I bought my copy from Amazon (and it was the correct edition ). Couldn't you do that and then use the magic of Calibre to get it onto your Kobo Mini or Sony reader?
That's what I'll end up doing if the issue isn't sorted soon. But when there isn't a huge price difference, I tend to buy from Kobo.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #19989
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Dedicated Man by Peter Robinson, 99p from Amazon UK. Read it years ago but at that price well worth a reread.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #19990
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was awful. I've read the book the movie was based on and the movie wasn't good.

Tom Cruise is to Jack Reacher as Mini-Me is to Ernst Stavro Blofeld.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #19991
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
The Dedicated Man by Peter Robinson, 99p from Amazon UK. Read it years ago but at that price well worth a reread.
Just finished reading it this spring. Definitely a good deal at that price! And a good book even at its regular price.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #19992
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished Essays by Arthur Schopenhauer in which he tops off his always pessimistic and frequently misogynistic writings with a final essay that proves to be a no-holds-barred defense of suicide, against which all he could say that it was ultimately a futile effort in that while it ends an individual life, it in no way mitigates the universal Will to live.

Now on to something a bit more upbeat: The Baer Boys by Alan Hutcheson.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #19993
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've just started "Storm Prey," the 20th book in the Lucas Davenport - Prey Series by John Sandford. I know I've read it before as I read all of his books, but I don't remember it so it's as if I'm reading it fresh! Sandford never fails to please, when it comes to hard-boiled detective thrillers. At the same time, I'm listening to an audio book of his, "Rough Country," book three in his Virgil Flowers series. This one I remember, but hearing it seems different from reading it so I'm finding it keeping me busy as a talk my long walks. Good stuff, both!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #19994
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
At the same time, I'm listening to an audio book of his, "Rough Country," book three in his Virgil Flowers series. This one I remember, but hearing it seems different from reading it so I'm finding it keeping me busy as a talk my long walks. Good stuff, both!

Stitchawl
I've recently been enjoying these in audio too they're well narrated and an easy listen. Just waiting on a multi credit deal to come along so I can get my next one Shockwave
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #19995
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I know I've read it before as I read all of his books, but I don't remember it so it's as if I'm reading it fresh!
I'm the same way with many books. I read for enjoyment/entertainment. I read fast. I make no attempt to remember the plot lines. So if I enjoyed the book the first time, I tend to enjoy it again when I re-read.

Speaking of re-reads, last week I borrowed a trilogy of fantasy books from my public library's electronic book lending through the Freading.com service. I had already read the first, but I decided to re-read it since it had been at least 3 years since I read it and I didn't remember much about it. I finished the first book Sorcery and Cecelia -or- The Enchanted Chocolate Pot yesterday morning and now I'm starting to read The Grand Tour -or- the Purloined Coronation Regalia.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote