Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #226
boh!
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Which differences do you want to know? Are you trying to find out which firmware to put on your girlfriend's Touch? Unfortunately we can't tell from the info you gave us. You really need to see the size of the firmware files downloaded automatically to the Touch.
Yes, I'm trying to find out for me and for all other people that don't want to reset its kobo, which firmware to put on.
We look at the size of Koboroot.tgz, but there must be something else. How could the kobo itself or the kobodesktop know which firmware to download??
Probably it's a too much simple though, but I think that there is something that identify our kobo and it can't be so hidden.

But mine is only "a shoot in the dark"
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #227
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boh! View Post
Yes, I'm trying to find out for me and for all other people that don't want to reset its kobo, which firmware to put on.
We look at the size of Koboroot.tgz, but there must be something else. How could the kobo itself or the kobodesktop know which firmware to download??
Probably it's a too much simple though, but I think that there is something that identify our kobo and it can't be so hidden.

Yes you are right, there should be an easier way. I haven't a clue though. Maybe it's indeed as easy as the serial number.

I made a thread to try to find out here.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-17-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #228
boh!
Nameless Being

Hi, it is possible to downgrade to one of the firmware that it isn't for specific device? Like the 2.0.2
So I don't need to loose data (as factory reset) and when I check for update it download the 2.3.1 for old or new touch.
So we could add statistic data to the new Mrs_Often's thread.
Someone can tell us if the 2.0.2 is a "safe" firmware??
Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #229
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:

Kobo wants you to use their automatic method to load the new firmware, so they are uninterested in making it easy, or fool proof, to sideload the firmware.

They must be using the serial number to determine the version.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #230
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or a database on there end that matches serial number to manufacturing data.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #231
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Hi, it is possible to downgrade to one of the firmware that it isn't for specific device? Like the 2.0.2
So I don't need to loose data (as factory reset) and when I check for update it download the 2.3.1 for old or new touch.
So we could add statistic data to the new Mrs_Often's thread.
Someone can tell us if the 2.0.2 is a "safe" firmware??
I went safely from 2.3.1 to 2.1.5 which is a good firmware to use until you get 2.4.0.

Of course do this at your own risk.

Make sure you pick the right firmware for your device. Either (older)Kobo Touch or (newer)Kobo Touch/Glow.

Be very sure or you will brick your device if you use the wrong firmware!

Or you could just wait a bit longer for the release to be pushed to your device.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #232
boh!
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
I went safely from 2.3.1 to 2.1.5 which is a good firmware to use until you get 2.4.0.

Of course do this at your own risk.

Make sure you pick the right firmware for your device. Either (older)Kobo Touch or (newer)Kobo Touch/Glow.

Be very sure or you will brick your device if you use the wrong firmware!

Or you could just wait a bit longer for the release to be pushed to your device.
Maybe my English it isn't good enough.
I don't look after a good firmware, but I'm looking to the last firmware the is the same for the "old" and the "new" Touch.
So I'll be SURE that I won't brick the Kobo Touch.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #233
HesselM
HesselM will become famous soon enoughHesselM will become famous soon enoughHesselM will become famous soon enoughHesselM will become famous soon enoughHesselM will become famous soon enoughHesselM will become famous soon enoughHesselM will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi All,

I (accidently) installed the wrong firmware (2.4.0 for older 'touch' devices) instead of the second link. My device indeed became unresponsive (it hung after the restart) and did nog react on factory reset (paper clip nor homebutton-slider).

I was able to fix this by:
- opening the case & removing the internal microSD holding the firmware
- inserting the microSD via an adapter in my computer (OS X 10.8)
- placing the correct firmware version in the .kobo directory
- placing the microSD back into the eReader
- booting up the eReader

Now it just works fine. It has even kept all files i had on it before the upgrade! (these were only pdf's i put there myself, not using Kobo Desktop)

Hessel
HesselM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #234
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesselM View Post
Hi All,

I (accidently) installed the wrong firmware (2.4.0 for older 'touch' devices) instead of the second link. My device indeed became unresponsive (it hung after the restart) and did nog react on factory reset (paper clip nor homebutton-slider).

I was able to fix this by:
- opening the case & removing the internal microSD holding the firmware
- inserting the microSD via an adapter in my computer (OS X 10.8)
- placing the correct firmware version in the .kobo directory
- placing the microSD back into the eReader
- booting up the eReader

Now it just works fine. It has even kept all files i had on it before the upgrade! (these were only pdf's i put there myself, not using Kobo Desktop)

Hessel
Nice!! Good to know you don't actually need to replace the entire factory firmware partition! It's actually really simple...

Thanks for sharing
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #235
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Maybe my English it isn't good enough.
I don't look after a good firmware, but I'm looking to the last firmware the is the same for the "old" and the "new" Touch.
So I'll be SURE that I won't brick the Kobo Touch.

There is no older firmware that will work on the new and old Touch hardware. An attempt to load the firmware for the wrong hardware will brick your Touch.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 02-19-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: bolded the NO
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #236
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
I'd recommend removing any reference to those kobo mini firmware updates as the urls are incorrect and hashes are different.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #237
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
I'd recommend removing any reference to those kobo mini firmware updates as the urls are incorrect and hashes are different.
What is incorrect about the urls? They've been used successfully with Mini's...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #238
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Then please post the URL to the Mini frmware file.

And what hashes?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #239
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1242 View Post
I'd be happy if they'd simply update the Touch to anything beyind 2.3.1 at this point.
Upgraded to 2.4.0 via Kobo sync in Canada, yesterday.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #240
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Then please post the URL to the Mini frmware file.

And what hashes?
Your firmware upgrade zip mentioning glo/mini/touch at:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.4.0.zip

has a sha1 hash of 1f9a65b3a56cff5a607cc4ccf534adfaa6333127

The firmware zip pushed to my kobo mini at:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.4.0.zip

has a sha1 hash of 6889967b39fd05ee694142f5a8280fdfba8139d3

Comparing the contents of both zips yield the following differences:

KoboRoot.tgz
manifest.md5sum
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/nickel
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/revinfo

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't blindly update any product without knowing for sure
that the firmware fits the device exactly. In this particular case it does not.

Last edited by slate; 02-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote