Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Best Short Stories you've just read

I just read "First, Body" by Melanie Rae Thon in the Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction 1999

Wow! Amazing story in a somewhat different style - a bit surreal, a bit stream of consciousness but definitely plotted and excellently written. I was so impressed I went looking and found another of her stories

Letters in the Snow - Melanie Rae Thon in the 2006 O Henry Award Stories! and it was similar in that it was certainly excellent work from an even more personal narration perspective. I will definitely be looking for more from her.

Another story I'm still infatuated with after reading multiple times over the past few months is "The Prophet from Jupiter" by Tony Earley (from the same Scribner's collection)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Re-read The Ransom of Red Chief by O Henry after posing about it in another thread.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I keep re-reading 'Goodbye, My Brother," by John Cheever.

It has one of the most beautiful and poetic last paragraphs of any short story I've ever read.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. That is one excellent story!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I won't mention any particular stories, but my current favourite short story authors are:

O. Henry

Damon Runyan

And I'm just starting to explore Stephen Leacock.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
One of my favorite short story writers is Rick Bass.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
One of my favorite short story writers is Rick Bass.
Yes

Wild Horses
The Fireman
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I recently enjoyed Louis de Bernières "Nothwithstanding" - a collection of short stories about characters in an English village, mostly published separately over a number of years.

have you read Sherwood Anderson's "Winesburg, Ohio"?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post

have you read Sherwood Anderson's "Winesburg, Ohio"?
Yes. "Hands" is incredible!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I recently read "Bears Discover Fire" by Terry Bisson. An odd story but I really liked it.
It won the 1991 Hugo Award, Nebula Award, Theodore Sturgeon Award, SF Chronicle Reader Award, Locus Award and Asimov’s Reader Award. The story is just what it says in the title.

I also read Bisson's The Left Left Behind which satirizes the Left Behind books and postulates that the world might possibly be a better place after the Rapture.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of my favorites is one that has been passed around online, but I think the author's name was lost along the line- because now it simply states by 'anonymous'. The title is: The Soldier's Second Letter. It's one of the most bittersweet, yet honest modern tales I have ever read.
WordCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't read him yet but George Saunders is the short story writer getting the most attention these days.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I haven't read him yet but George Saunders is the short story writer getting the most attention these days.
His story "Bohemians" was in the 2005 Best American Short Stories (same year as Kelly Link's Stone Animals). I'm not remembering reading it, but am going to pull it out and see.

Thanks Ben!

Last edited by kennyc; 02-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
His story "Bohemians" was in the 2005 Best American Short Stories (same year as Kelly Link's Stone Animals). I'm not remembering reading it, but am going to pull it out and see.

Thanks Ben!
Read Bohemians, very good story and not a New Yorker type story

I'd give it a 4/5 stars
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard

The New Yorker has his story Tenth of December online.
http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea...ction_saunders