Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
flying_babyb
flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: still deciding!
Need one that reads outloud!

I need a e reader or tablet that is under $100 plays games and reads outloud. This is for a dislexic (sp) child, aged 12. I am also looking for a second one that reads to you and has changable font. Its for my 78 year old grandma who is Not techinal savy. Also I am looking for a tablet that plays games,reads, and does word (or somthing simlar). this is for a college student writing a novel. ALl 3 must be under $100 each!
flying_babyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
I need a e reader or tablet that is under $100 plays games and reads outloud. This is for a dislexic (sp) child, aged 12. I am also looking for a second one that reads to you and has changable font. Its for my 78 year old grandma who is Not techinal savy. Also I am looking for a tablet that plays games,reads, and does word (or somthing simlar). this is for a college student writing a novel. ALl 3 must be under $100 each!
I don't think you're going to find anything in the tablet world to do all that for under $100. Closest I can think of, in a good tablet is the Nexus 7 at $199.
All eReaders will allow font changes either for size or type of font. They are more simple to use as well. The Kobo readers have a font available that is called "open dyslexic" which apparently is quite effective in aiding dylexics to read more easily. This font may be available on other brands of readers as well.
Kobo has 2 models in your price range, the Touch at $99 and the Mini at $79. They will not do text to speech however, you need at tablet for that as far as I know. Games as well would be very limited on a reader.
So really a tablet is your best bet for the children anyway, but I don't think it's realistic to think you can get one for anything near "under $100".
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
flying_babyb
flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flying_babyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

were looking at:
Velocity Cruz e-Reader with WiFi
or
7.0 Zeepad(TM) Android 4.0 tablet PC 4GB Hard Drive built in WIFI
or
Pandigital R70B200 Star Android Multi Media 7-inch Tablet Computer -

all on amazon. Which one (or ones) would be best? do any of these do txt to speech?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Kobo has 2 models in your price range, the Touch at $99 and the Mini at $79. They will not do text to speech however, you need at tablet for that as far as I know.
Nope, a Kindle Keyboard will do TTS, and in the price range as well. I don't know what "changeable font" means - you can change the size of course, but typeface options are extremely limited.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anything under 8 gb in a tablet will be useless which means the 4 gb Velocity Cruz, the 4 gb ZeePad and the 2 gb Pandigital won't allow you to add any apps to them because they have no storage space!
As well the processors on these will be s_l_o_w. You're better off waiting until you have more money to spend...
Meeera says the Kindle Keyboard will do Text to Speech so I think that is your best bet. Any tablet at that price will be junk.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-13-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Android tablets rely on reader apps, and those apps have varying functionality. Some have text to speech. Mantano is one that does, but there are others. The tablets under $100 often do not have access to Google play, they usually have a proprietary app store and may not be able to use newer versions of android or install apps from other sources.

On top of this, some publishers have text-to-speech functionality locked on their books. You would have to break drm on them to use that functionality. I believe some bookstores state in the book details if this is the case. I know amazon and books on board both say whether text-to-speech is enabled for a given book.

I would make sure that the tablet has the Google play store, is running a recent version of android, and has good customer reviews.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
flying_babyb

so what would my best under $100 be if I just went for a e reader that plays games? this one wouldnt need to read aloud.

For the one for grandma: the text size needs to able to be made bigger.

Last edited by flying_babyb; 10-13-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added infro
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard

Where are you located? Availability may depend on where you are... Kobo Touch is $99 and is wireless (allows Internet browsing) and has a couple of games in the "extras" like chess, sudoko. You will not be able to play "games" in the sense that kids want to, on an eReader. For your grandmother however, the Touch will allow font adjustments to make the text pretty much as big as you need to.
Perhaps you should shop around for a second-hand or refurbished Kobo Vox's 7" tablet which is 8 gb, expandable with a micro SD card, runs on Android "Gingerbread", has access to the Google Play Store and can have lots of apps added to it. I've heard of persons picking them up new for under $150. It's now a discontinued model about to be replaced by a new Kobo tablet (the Arc) so chances are it's price will drop before Christmas if you can wait.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
If you go to Toys R Us they do make books that read out loud to kids nowhere near $100. You're not going to find a reader that does it and it's not worth spending the money on a kid that's going to break it in all likelihood anyways. Buy a book that reads out loud. Look into the Leap Pad. It plays games and reads books and teaches kids all kinds of things. A reader is in appropriate for your needs based on your OP.

Get a reader for the Grandmother. She'll appreciate it and know how to take care of it.

An eink ereader is completely in appropriate for a kid that wants games.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Those leap pad readers are expensive too, and the books for them are very expensive. I'd comparison shop before opting for that.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
It also occurs to me that the books that a LeapPad would read aloud (for $25 a piece) would not be of interest to a 12-year-old.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
The reading outloud thing is very overrated I tried the option with Mantano Reader on android and found it very hard to follow the computerised voice. But I also think an android tablet and the Mantano Reader App might be the cheapest way to go but still well over your budget.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
The reading outloud thing is very overrated I tried the option with Mantano Reader on android and found it very hard to follow the computerised voice. But I also think an android tablet and the Mantano Reader App might be the cheapest way to go but still well over your budget.
I *love* TTS (Text To Speech, aka Read Aloud), on both my kindle and my Android.

The built-in Kindle 3 TTS sounds great to me as is.

To get a good experience with it on Android, you need to download other voices, as the built-in one does indeed sound very computerized.

My favorite is Ivona's Amy or Kendra. (Free, still, in app store) I tried the SVOX voices, but wasn't impressed.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
The SVOX US female voice isn't bad, but the male voice is horrible! On my KK I like the male voice. I've not tried Ivona. Might have to look into that.

I've gotten used to the TTS voices. When I listen to a real audio recording the inflection sounds strange to me. LOL

I use it on my commute to and from work with my Kindle Keyboard. The Paperwhite stays home - and it's all I've been using at home.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I am using a better TTS than standard Loquendo TTS Susan it does sound much better than the default but I just couldn't follow books at all. Brilliant for things like GPS but the Fake voice just doesn't work for me at all in books.

That being said I've never been a fan of audio books either I generally find them to be read much too slow and get bored so the problem may be with me.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote