Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #526
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
And I was at Indigo yesterday and say a ton of Kobo posters. They all have pictures of the Kobo app on the iPad on them, and they tout being able to read your books on any device. If Apple doesn't get this straightened out, it's going to affect a lot of people's business models. And people WILL feel mislead if they bought a device on that poster hoping to read their Kobo books on it and then that proves not possible.
I wonder if they will actually make a big deal about being able to read on all devices except ios if they get forced off as they are certainly going to push ahead with doing more on other platforms e.g. kobo has signed a deal to have their app pre-loaded on the blackberry playbook.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #527
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
There are plenty of cheaper tablets, just none with the marketing clout of Apple.
And most of those cheaper tablets are junk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #528
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Where there is smoke...

I think they'll blink eventually. And then we'll all move on. .
I think you have your head up Steve Job's ass. How can they give in when the agency model says we (the publisher) gets 70% and you (the seller) get 30%? Apple is basically saying, we want all of your profits. Why would any seller give in to Apple's demands? Let's see how things are when newspapers, magazines, eBooks are all gone from the app store except for iBooks. This will not bode well for Apple in the long run. All it will do is boost sales of Android based devices.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-01-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #529
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you have your head up Steve Job's ass. How can they give in when the agency model says we (the publisher) gets 70% and you (the seller) get 30%? Apple is basically saying, we want all of your profits. Why would any seller give in to Apple's demands? Let's see how things are when newspapers, magazines, eBooks are all give from the app store except for iBooks. This will not bode well for Apple in the long run. All it will do is boost sales of Android based devices.
Jon:

some days you are a complete tool - and then you make a post like this and I wanna kiss you right on the lips (and I dunna like that idea at all)!! hahaha, nicely stated!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #530
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
Jon:

some days you are a complete tool - and then you make a post like this and I wanna kiss you right on the lips (and I dunna like that idea at all)!! hahaha, nicely stated!
I've just had enough of Rock's saying it will work out. It won't work out. Apple is driving the competition out of the way. Why? Because sales are not good for eBooks at the iBookstore. The thing to do is download all the apps even if you do not use them so in case you someday want to use them, you can. Because once they are gone, that's all folks.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #531
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
I've just had enough of Rock's saying it will work out. It won't work out. Apple is driving the competition out of the way. Why? Because sales are not good for eBooks at the iBookstore. The thing to do is download all the apps even if you do not use them so in case you someday want to use them, you can. Because once they are gone, that's all folks.
Ya weren't alone my friend...and I am still d/l'ing free apps for iOS even though I sold my Touch 4 because I really could see myself picking up another one. But I want to see how I like the HP lineup as well as the Blackberry with it's new OS.

So while I had wanted a large format reader/device today I decided I will wait until late fall or even winter this year to decide. With the recent additions to the agency cabal and the fact one of my main publishers is folding it's tent, don't know what is to become of the titles that have been successful for about 35-40yrs now though. But the market these books serve is changing right now into something completely different than it was just a decade ago that I am unsure what to do really but wait and see. If there are not going to be the books I need then the value of a large format color device is a lot lower and even a NookCOLOR would be better except for it's portrait dimensions.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #532
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Aren't you forgetting the kill switch? Apple cans still remotely delete apps -- unless you jailbreak your iDevice and then disable the kill switch.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 AM   #533
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Aren't you forgetting the kill switch? Apple cans still remotely delete apps -- unless you jailbreak your iDevice and then disable the kill switch.
Have Apple ever remotely deleted an app?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #534
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If that happens I will be bloody mad!

I don't want to jailbreak my iPod Touch so they can't access my device. I had no idea Apple could do this.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #535
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

After the outrage of Amazon deleting 1984, I think Apple deleting app(s) from an iDevice would be hell to pay big time. So I doubt Apple will do this. Especially to an app they once approved.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #536
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Have Apple ever remotely deleted an app?
No. Google, Apple, HP and Microsoft all have remote kill switches in their OSes.

I believe the only company that has activated the remote kill on smartphone apps so far has been Google, and no company has used it on content (except Amazon, of course )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #537
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
They could kill the apps if they force you to upgrade the OS and some change makes the old apps incompatible with the new OS. Since you can't downgrade to an older version, it'll have the same effect except customers might be angry at the makers of the app for creating apps that crash or whatever.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #538
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
They could kill the apps if they force you to upgrade the OS and some change makes the old apps incompatible with the new OS.
Have Apple ever done this?

Quote:
Since you can't downgrade to an older version
Actually you can, if you fiddle around with the files on your PC.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #539
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

The only app I remember that was affected by this was Netshare, a tethering app that appeared briefly on the App store. Apple pulled it, but people were still able to use it until 3.1 broke it, whether by coincidence or design.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #540
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:

Are you asking about the forcing an upgrade part or an app breaking because of an upgrade part? No idea about the forcing part. Probably not, but they could do it if they wanted to.

As for the breaking part, the app that I work on works on iOS 4 but no longer works on 3. Different direction and we need to fix our app, but you get the idea.

And if you can provide a link or instructions on how to downgrade an iPad from iOS 4 to 3 without jailbreaking, that would be very helpful.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote