Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #166
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The matter with Samsung Epic 4G (aka Galaxy S) is that you can't plug it always as a USB device, because if you want to update with the official updates you need Samsung Kies which has a unique interface for connecting, which is incompatible with the USB mode.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #167
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I installed Kies once on my PC tried it and then uninstalled it the same day.
If I wanted to put such bloated crap on my pc would have bought an IPhone.
Have not needed it since use ODIN and Xda forums for updates and
Winamp for transferring media to my device great thing with ia its wireless sync don't even need to connect my phone to the pc to add the new albums etc.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #168
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I added a few, newer readers to the first post and updated the popularity ranking in from the market. No real major changes, but a few new goodies. Thanks to everyone for reading!
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #169
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Thanks!

Hi:

Excellent, comprehensive, review. Which one of the clients reads "plucker desktop" or "sunrisexp" output, that is, pdb, but I am not sure what sub-version. I've seen that many of the apps listed read pdb. I used to read that files with vademecum. Really handy, wikipedia's Solar System article fits on a 50 MB file, with images, one level of recursion. I would like to read that kind of books with my smartq V7 (I Ching coined :-) ).

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #170
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post
Hi:

Excellent, comprehensive, review. Which one of the clients reads "plucker desktop" or "sunrisexp" output, that is, pdb, but I am not sure what sub-version. I've seen that many of the apps listed read pdb. I used to read that files with vademecum. Really handy, wikipedia's Solar System article fits on a 50 MB file, with images, one level of recursion. I would like to read that kind of books with my smartq V7 (I Ching coined :-) ).

Regards.
I know plucker is a venerable format from the days when Palm was king. Just from my quick research, it seems to have gone the way of the dodo, as the world moved on to more open standards. IMHO, it's a good move since standards and open formats ensure availability of content as things progress. I loved iSilo, for example, but it's damned near impossible to convert these days.

As of right now, I think FBreader claims to read plucker files, though I have no way of testing it. You could also try "Golan." It's not in the Android Market, but the developer has a page on Google code. It hasn't seen any updates in quite a while, however. Sunrisexp has been EOL'd as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #171
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I think FBreader claims to read plucker files, though I have no way of testing it.
The Desktop FBReader handles plucker files, but I don't think FBReaderJ does. The latter supports ebook formats with strong metadata support: ePub, FB2, and MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #172
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Desktop FBReader handles plucker files, but I don't think FBReaderJ does. The latter supports ebook formats with strong metadata support: ePub, FB2, and MOBI.
Thanks for the correction!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #173
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
The entry for Compact Reader needs to be changed. It only supports "TXT" files.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #174
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
The entry for Compact Reader needs to be changed. It only supports "TXT" files.
Done! Thanks for the feedback. Dunno how I made that big a mistake
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #175
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I think the Moon+ Reader section needs to be updated. It supports more formats than that (txt/html/epub/umd/fb2/zip/OPDS), and it has note-taking and highlighting features, along with online (Google, Wikipedia) and offline (ColorDict, Fora) dictionary support. It also has auto-scroll and online translation (again, Google).
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #176
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I know plucker is a venerable format from the days when Palm was king. Just from my quick research, it seems to have gone the way of the dodo, as the world moved on to more open standards. IMHO, it's a good move since standards and open formats ensure availability of content as things progress. I loved iSilo, for example, but it's damned near impossible to convert these days.

As of right now, I think FBreader claims to read plucker files, though I have no way of testing it. You could also try "Golan." It's not in the Android Market, but the developer has a page on Google code. It hasn't seen any updates in quite a while, however. Sunrisexp has been EOL'd as well.

YES!!!

FBreader reads plucker pdb files! Just tested few minutes ago in a linux box, later I'll try later with FBreaderJ in Android and with the suplied Linux FBreader in Linux, both run on SmartqV7

Thankyou very much!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #177
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I think the Moon+ Reader section needs to be updated. It supports more formats than that (txt/html/epub/umd/fb2/zip/OPDS), and it has note-taking and highlighting features, along with online (Google, Wikipedia) and offline (ColorDict, Fora) dictionary support. It also has auto-scroll and online translation (again, Google).
Thanks for the update. I have to confess I originally compiled this list a year ago when I was waiting for my nook to be delivered after I sold my Sony PRS-500. Updates to individual apps happen rapidly and, as a casual reader on Android these days, I just can't keep up with every one.

Periodically, I'll check androidzoom.com and see if any new apps have been added and will re-adjust the list to show changes in popularity. The rest, thankfully, is up to posts such as yours. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #178
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
FYI re: Aldiko - with the most recent update, Aldiko now supports Adobe DRM.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #179
eksor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post
YES!!!

FBreader reads plucker pdb files! Just tested few minutes ago in a linux box, later I'll try later with FBreaderJ in Android and with the suplied Linux FBreader in Linux, both run on SmartqV7

Thankyou very much!
Again, previous posters where right (thanks) FBreaderJ does NOT read pdb plucker files.

Regards
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #180
beartard
Minister of Linux

Updated Aldiko to reflect support for Adobe DRM.

Sorry about FBreader. I was going on what their website said and wasn't aware the mobile app doesn't support Plucker. See if Golan works for you. I know it's capable of doing the "plucking" so it should work as a reader as well. The only problem is it hasn't seen an update in a few years and may not work on newer versions of Android.

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one