Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #16
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This seems like a publicity stunt. Author I've never heard of from a publisher I've never heard of supposedly wanting over $9.99 for a book, then generously lowering the price to $1.99 merely as an "experiment".
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I might have bought it, but I can only find it available at two places--Amazon (I don't have a Kindle) and Books on Board (for $8 and change in Adobe PDF format, which my Sony can read but I only settle for if I'm desperate to read the book). Where's the $1.99 epub?
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
This seems like a publicity stunt.
Perhaps, but I suspect it's more a slightly misguided attempt to make a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR
I've never heard of from a publisher I've never heard of supposedly wanting over $9.99 for a book, then generously lowering the price to $1.99 merely as an "experiment".
Numerous publishers put out ebooks for free, for a limited time, as a promotional method.

I wouldn't be surprised at all that a small publisher dropped the price for a week or two to satisfy an author's curiosity.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
The experiment failed for me because Amazon doesn’t sell the ebook outside the US (unlike most other eBooks). What’s more important to me than the price is global availability.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Personally I would not pay 25 cents for any fiction book, i don't believe in fiction at all.
It is really unfair to pay more 0.25 $ for a fiction novel that was written in the most easiest way .
However, it does not bother me at all to pay more 50 dollars for a scientific or historical book, it takes enormous amount of time, studies, research, data to make those kind of books.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
w0w!!!! way to completely diss hardworking fiction authors!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #22
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
And I am not arguing that she will sell 5x more copies. What will be accomplished, though, is to estimate a total number of customers who are ready to pay (anything) for her book. $2 is symbolic, it is definitely bellow anybody's threshold, but still weeds out freeloaders. Better starting point than "wet finger in the air" method.
Precisely. I may never get around to reading it, but just based on principle, I paid the $2 for it.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
Personally I would not pay 25 cents for any fiction book, i don't believe in fiction at all.
It is really unfair to pay more 0.25 $ for a fiction novel that was written in the most easiest way .
However, it does not bother me at all to pay more 50 dollars for a scientific or historical book, it takes enormous amount of time, studies, research, data to make those kind of books.
I dare you to write a fiction best seller. Just think, it's so easy, you could be rich!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I dare you to write a fiction best seller. Just think, it's so easy, you could be rich!
I need your English skills first
By the way, a lot the fiction authors aren't rich !
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I need your English skills first
By the way, a lot the fiction authors aren't rich !
I didn't say it had to be an English best seller. Use your native language.

As far as a lot of fiction writers not being rich, I'm sure the same can be said of scientific and historical writers (even at 50 bucks a pop!).

If fiction is not your style, that's fine but it is unfair of you to belittle and dismiss the work that the authors put into their books (whether they are good or bad books in the eye of the reader).
Old 12-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #26
drdann
Connoisseur
drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
In addition....

Quote:

As far as a lot of fiction writers not being rich, I'm sure the same can be said of scientific and historical writers (even at 50 bucks a pop!).

If fiction is not your style, that's fine but it is unfair of you to belittle and dismiss the work that the authors put into their books (whether they are good or bad books in the eye of the reader).
You make very good point. I agree with you fully.

In addition, fiction authors do a great deal of research. In fact, quite often, they do more actual research than nonfiction writers. This is due to the fact that, more often than not, writers of nonfiction write on subjects they are extremely familiar with and may not need do any further research in order to write their book. The fiction author, on the other hand, often needs to research a great deal to create a realistic scene. For example, take a scene that takes place in a city the author has never visited, in a given hospital emergency room. Further, imagine this scene describing a medical procedure that the author has never experienced, nor have any of their friends or family.

The author must research :

The city itself - weather, traffic flow, infrastructure, etc
The hospital - location, location of the ER in respect to the rest of the hospital, how busy it is, entrances, etc
The procedure - how it is done?

Given this example, you have a scene that is perhaps 10 - 20 pages (in a paperback model), but probably required 30-40 hours of research and study prior to writing.

Research here includes locating appropriate sources, verifying the information in multiple sources, often it also includes contacting experts in the field, etc.
drdann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #27
erictoma
Banned

Quote:

Charles Darwin risked his life, spent years in the sea, lost his youth nights studying by himself geology under candle light in order to write his book "natural selection"
Fiction writing is an art, and like every art, they are fans who indulge a lot their preferred authors and cherish them without any factual reason.

Neil Armstrong, the guy who wadded on the moon, discovered one day that his barber was collecting his hair to sell it to some fans for 400 dollars each teaspoon or less !

Fiction writing is an art , there is no fairness in this field .
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Charles Darwin risked his life, spent years in the sea, lost his youth nights studying by himself geology under candle light in order to write his book "natural selection"
Fiction writing is an art, and like every art, they are fans who indulge a lot their preferred authors and cherish them without any factual reason.

Neil Armstrong, the guy who wadded on the moon, discovered one day that his barber was collecting his hair to sell it to some fans for 400 dollars each teaspoon or less !

Fiction writing is an art , there is no fairness in this field .
What? What does any of that have to do with you saying that fiction writing is easy?

Who says one must have a "factual reason" to enjoy something?

Neil Armstrong's hair? Really?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdann View Post

Given this example, you have a scene that is perhaps 10 - 20 pages (in a paperback model), but probably required 30-40 hours of research and study prior to writing.

You have shown us how easy their job is !!
40 hours for 20 pages !
When I was comic-cartoons drawer, I used to draw two pages per week !

Last edited by erictoma; 12-08-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #30
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I wonder what relation the first-poster has to the author?

my very first thought. call me a cynic but very first post on Mobile Read is a plug for a new book...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote