Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
mousy courage
mousy courage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (non-wifi)
to wait or to buy?

I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger and get an ebook reader now or not and if I do, which one.
On the one hand none of the devices currently on the market do even half of what I want. The Asus eee note comes really close (even though I'm a little bummed out about the LCD screen) but it's not out yet. Should I wait?

Of the devices that are out the ones that stand out to me are pocketbook ereaders and the kobo.
The kobo is really simple and easy for regular reading (of novels and the such) but not all my reading is simple. As a student I read the occasional PDF and the pocketbook ereaders (specifically the 301+ and the 602. I don't think I can spend more than $200 on an ebook reader) were attractive to me because they seem to have slightly superior PDF display capabilities because of the reflow mechanism they have (the PDFs I have worked with have been simple, mostly text and the ones that aren't purely text are usually powerpoints that have been converted into PDFs. Occasionally I will scan a book to read on my laptop because a 3lb laptop is lighter than a 5lb textbook so a decent PDF viewer on the ereader would be nice). I also like that the pocketbook ereaders can read multiple formats. This all being said I would most like to use the ebook reader at leisure. Would it be worth it to spend more money on the pocketbook ereader (I guess what I'm asking is if the PDF viewer is decent enough) or just settle for the kobo?
mousy courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I'm in roughly the same boat and I think I'm going to spend more and get a pocketbook 602. The clincher is being able to drag and drop my files and browse by the file trees I've organized rather than the tags. The 302 is pretty nice too but I'm told that folks have been waiting forever for firmware/software updates to realize some of the features as well as the fact that the screen isn't quite as nice as the 602. The only thing about the 602 is the wonky keyboard. Check some of the vids on youtube and see which one floats your boat.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Last year the prices that came down for Christmas didn't go back up, so I recommend you wait a bit.

I also recommend that you consider a better screen than the eInk vizplex currently offered by PocketBook and Kobo. Don't make up your mind until you have considered the eInk pearl screens of the Sony and the Kindle and the reflective TFT screens of the jetBook, the jetBook Lite and the Aluratek Libre.

I am quite happy with my jetBook Lite now that it handles pdf reflow quite well with its latest firmware. It reads the ADE, eReader and B&N DRMs. It reads almost all of the formats, including ePub, mobi and rtf. Newegg currently has it for $89.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I also recommend that you consider a better screen than the eInk vizplex currently offered by PocketBook and Kobo. Don't make up your mind until you have considered the eInk pearl screens of the Sony and the Kindle and the reflective TFT screens of the jetBook, the jetBook Lite and the Aluratek Libre.
on screens, though I cannot find the original message in the Pocketbook forum, there is a video here comparing PB602 and Sony 650.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Yeah, the Sony 650 is definitely worth a look if you're hot on the 302. The Kindle has an amazing screen but doesn't fit my particular needs very well.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote