Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is going to buy a Kindle?
No way in Heck will I get one! 6 14.63%
Me! Me! Me! I will! Me! Me! Me! 4 9.76%
Maybe. It depends on the price, options, appearance 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Who's going to rush out and buy a Kindle?

I will buy one as soon as possible. Anyone else?

Last edited by Nate the great; 10-04-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
nope...not this time...

I'd love to, but 1) they probably won' be available here and 2) I can't justify shelling out that much oney if I've already got an Iliad and a STAReBOOK...but I'd sure love ot get one...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I will buy one as soon as possible. Any one else
Is this before or after you buy an iLiad?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
If it isn't a substantial improvement over the Sony, then I won't purchase one. What may make the difference is if the number of Mobipocket titles increases exponentially. If that happens, then I'll be very tempted.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this before or after you buy an iLiad?
The price and limited warranty has made me pull back and rethink the decision.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Let's see. The question is: Am I going to go buy a unit that costs $500-$700 (but no one really knows) which is capable of reading--some e-book format (but no one really knows) which may or may not have a lot of content available for it that may or may not be severely DRM-limited (but no one really knows) and which might have other features (but no one really knows) when it (maybe) becomes available sometime between October 15th and ... never.

Sure, I'm in!
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Truth is that we know nearly nothing about the kindle, there are rumors about the
price right, but those are only rumors, we don't know its appearance and features,
we only know it'll handle mobipocket and maybe have an integrated wifi chip.

How can you say you'll rush and buy it while we know so few about it!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It depends on if Amazon is willing to give me one or not. If not, then I won't have one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
ktb1381
Enthusiast
ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It depends on if Amazon is willing to give me one or not. If not, then I won't have one.
The question did say "buy".
ktb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Not unless they're extremely cheap, or include virtually every title in Amazon along with the price, at least for the first year. Since neither of these seems likely, no. I'm quite happy with my iLiad, thanks.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Not unless they're extremely cheap, or include virtually every title in Amazon along with the price, at least for the first year. Since neither of these seems likely, no. I'm quite happy with my iLiad, thanks.
I'm with you. I remember the rumors of a $50 Kindle - presuming one signed up for a year or two's subscription for ebooks - and I thought, "Yeah. I'd buy a subscription for the option to have an eInk reader for $50!". But with the Sony running $299, the Hanlin running (minus the special this week) $329 and the Bookeen *hopefully* coming in under $350 (we'll know more later), I can't see shelling out more than $400 for a 6" reader. Now if it were an 8" or 9" reader, or one of those hypothetical dual-screen Hanlins, yeah, I'd shell out $400 or 500 for one.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If they did heavily subsidize the purchase, with the requirement that you buy X books in Y years (such as Audible and their "free" MP3 players), then I think I would jump on it. However, I would still have to see the device first. If the keyboard is as large as it is in the FCC submitted photo, then no way in hell. I don't mind a tiny thumboard for the once in a blue moon need for text entry. But that mid-sized keyboard really turns me off.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
If they did heavily subsidize the purchase, with the requirement that you buy X books in Y years (such as Audible and their "free" MP3 players), then I think I would jump on it. However, I would still have to see the device first. If the keyboard is as large as it is in the FCC submitted photo, then no way in hell. I don't mind a tiny thumboard for the once in a blue moon need for text entry. But that mid-sized keyboard really turns me off.
Just an idea to follow on that... the keyboard could be split in two rows, one on each side, that are thumb operated, a little like that numbered button row on that new 505. It could work although with a steep learning curve to be efficient.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was thinking of buttons like this:
http://www.umpcportal.com/gallery/d/5240-2/Q1+Ultra.jpg
But below screen and not split up too much, just enough to allow the average thumb to get to them from the edges of the device.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I was thinking of buttons like this:
http://www.umpcportal.com/gallery/d/5240-2/Q1+Ultra.jpg
But below screen and not split up too much, just enough to allow the average thumb to get to them from the edges of the device.
Yeah, that would work because that umpc keyboard eats up a lot of real estate, but of course they would need it anyway for the huge inards required. Putting the buttons down at the bottom would make it a difficult grip though.

A reader is not so filled up with circuits and drives, so the less outside space used, the better. My suggestion had a drawback too, going up and down requires changing grip at every two or three letters...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote