Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hook, nose and stinker! [Ouch! That's a good one!]

Jon, I want a reader. Not popcorn!
You want a Reader. I get that. I really do. But then why the Oasis? It's akin to reading on a Reader in bright sunlight with a fading LG screen. Remember those? Bookerly fades into the background the more you have the light turned up. The screen then looks like a printout from a laser printer with a toner cartridge that's doesn't have enough toner to fully form the letters. The only thing the Oasais is good for is to bash your nose. The cover really helps since it adds some weight.

As for the bashed nose, the Oasis did it's job very well.

And speaking of popcorn, the Oasais is like cheesy butter popcorn without the cheese and butter. You want a Reader that not only gives you popcorn but also gives you the cheese and butter.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-22-2017 at 10:55 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #77
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want a Reader. I get that. I really do. But then why the Oasis? It's akin to reading on a Reader in bright sunlight with a fading LG screen. Remember those? Bookerly fades into the background the more you have the light turned up. The screen then looks like a printout from a laser printer with a toner cartridge that's doesn't have enough toner to fully form the letters. The only thing the Oasais is good for is to bash your nose. The cover really helps since it adds some weight.

As for the bashed nose, the Oasis did it's job very well.

And speaking of popcorn, the Oasais is like cheesy butter popcorn without the cheese and butter. You want a Reader that not only gives you popcorn but also gives you the cheese and butter.

I respectfully submit that you may be confusing the Kindle Oasis with the Sony 600, notoriously known for being unreadable in ANY lighting situation!

(There is an urban legend circulating that the Sony 600 was actually easier to read on when it had a broken substrate. I cannot vouch for this legend, since I accidentally ran over mine with my car about 10 times.)

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #78
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want a Reader. I get that. I really do. But then why the Oasis? It's akin to reading on a Reader in bright sunlight with a fading LG screen. Remember those? Bookerly fades into the background the more you have the light turned up.
If you have the light turned up that far, you are using it wrong. You should turn the light on all frontlit Kindles up only as far as is necessary to make the background white, rather than grey (unless reading in pitch darkness, or something, in which case obviously you turn it up enough that you can read it).

When it's turned up that far, it does not fade at all. Obviously if you turn it up to 24 indoors, the type is going to be overwhelmed by the light level and become much less readable, but, y'know, if you point a bright torch directly at a book point-blank, the same thing will happen. This is not surprising, because it's the same thing: too much light, plus ink.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #79
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
If you have the light turned up that far, you are using it wrong. You should turn the light on all frontlit Kindles up only as far as is necessary to make the background white, rather than grey (unless reading in pitch darkness, or something, in which case obviously you turn it up enough that you can read it).

When it's turned up that far, it does not fade at all. Obviously if you turn it up to 24 indoors, the type is going to be overwhelmed by the light level and become much less readable, but, y'know, if you point a bright torch directly at a book point-blank, the same thing will happen. This is not surprising, because it's the same thing: too much light, plus ink.
Last time I looked too much light in your face with or without ink was blinding.

Edited to add: the last time it happened to me it was natural light.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #80
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post

No, no, no. That's wrong.

If you turn it up when it's light outside, then that makes it darker - outside the ring of circumference where the light is. But making it lighter will often lead to a type of night blindness, wherein the lighted part actually becomes lighter due to the background being perpetually black. I know it's easy to get confused on this point, but hopefully my explanation will shed some light one those darker areas that increase in darkness as the light increases. All back-lit ebook readers react in the same way, unless they are front-lit, which is another issue entirely.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert