Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #1
ZHMEN
ZHMEN began at the beginning.

Device: none
Metadata problem when publishing a book on feiyr.com

Hello.
I’m trying to publish a book on the fair.com book portal, but I’ve been rejected again and again.
Indicates missing metadata:
__________________________________________________ ___________
Errors have been detected in the OPF file.

The metadata does not include language(s). The <dc:language> tag is missing in the metadata area of the OPF file.

Errors were found within your PDF file.

Error / Metadata: Important information is missing from the metadata: Title.
Error / Metadata: Important information is missing from the metadata: Author.
__________________________________________________ __________

But my ebub file of the book contains this data.

There are <dc:title> and <dc:creator> (author) and <dc:language>en-GB</dc:language>.

Help me understand where the error is here.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is my content.opf

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package version="3.0" unique-identifier="BookId" prefix="rendition: http://www.idpf.org/vocab/rendition/#" xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" xmlns:fb="https://www.facebook.com/profile.phpid=100090128767249" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
  <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
    <dc:title id="title">Hello, New Ukraine! or Big Offence of little putin.</dc:title>
    <meta refines="#title" property="title-type">main</meta>
    <dc:creator id="create">Oleg Balan</dc:creator>
    <meta refines="#create" property="role" scheme="marc:relators">aut</meta>
    <meta refines="#create" property="file-as">Balan, Oleg</meta>
    <dc:description>This publication is a story about Kiev Maidan, covering the period from November 2013 to February 2014, an eyewitness and participant in the events Oleg Balan. The author gives his opinion on the causes of the war between Russia and Ukraine.</dc:description>
    <dc:publisher>Yurka Lyubchenka Publishing House</dc:publisher>
    <dc:subject>Socio-political publication</dc:subject>
    <dc:language>en-GB</dc:language>
    <dc:identifier id="BookId">urn:isbn:9786177221912</dc:identifier>
    <meta name="Sigil version" content="2.0.1" />
    <meta refines="#title" property="file-as">Hello, New Ukraine! or Big Offence of little putin.</meta>
    <meta name="calibre:author_link_map" content="{&quot;Олег Балан&quot;: &quot;&quot;}" />
    <meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg" />
    <meta property="dcterms:modified">2023-08-30T21:15:05Z</meta>
  </metadata>
  <manifest>
    <item id="cover.xhtml" href="cover.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="cover.jpg" href="images/cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" properties="cover-image"/>
    <item id="content0.xhtml" href="content0.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="content1.xhtml" href="content1.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="content2.xhtml" href="content2.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="content3.xhtml" href="content3.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="content4.xhtml" href="content4.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="content5.xhtml" href="content5.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="contentnotes0.xhtml" href="contentnotes0.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
    <item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
    <item id="css" href="css/style.css" media-type="text/css"/>
    <item id="font_css" href="css/unicode_fonts.css" media-type="text/css"/>
    <item id="index-59_2.jpg" href="images/index-59_2.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-26_1.jpg" href="images/index-26_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-21_1.jpg" href="images/index-21_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-26_2.jpg" href="images/index-26_2.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-28_1.jpg" href="images/index-28_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-32_1.jpg" href="images/index-32_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-33_1.jpg" href="images/index-33_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-34_1.jpg" href="images/index-34_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-37_1.jpg" href="images/index-37_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-46_1.jpg" href="images/index-46_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-49_1.jpg" href="images/index-49_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-52_1.jpg" href="images/index-52_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-54_1.jpg" href="images/index-54_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-57_1.jpg" href="images/index-57_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="navid" href="nav.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="nav"/>
    <item id="intro.jpg" href="images/intro.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-59_3.jpg" href="images/index-59_3.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-25_1.jpg" href="images/index-25_1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="index-25_2.jpg" href="images/index-25_2.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
    <item id="DIN-Alternate-Bold.otf" href="fonts/DIN-Alternate-Bold.otf" media-type="font/otf"/>
    <item id="Georgia.otf" href="fonts/Georgia.otf" media-type="font/otf"/>
    <item id="Georgia-Bold.otf" href="fonts/Georgia-Bold.otf" media-type="font/otf"/>
    <item id="Georgia-BoldItalic.otf" href="fonts/Georgia-BoldItalic.otf" media-type="font/otf"/>
    <item id="Georgia-Italic.otf" href="fonts/Georgia-Italic.otf" media-type="font/otf"/>
  </manifest>
  <spine toc="ncx">
    <itemref idref="cover.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="content0.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="content1.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="content2.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="content3.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="content4.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="content5.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="contentnotes0.xhtml"/>
    <itemref idref="navid"/>
  </spine>
  <guide>
    <reference type="cover" title="Cover" href="cover.xhtml"/>
    <reference type="notes" title="Notes" href="contentnotes0.xhtml"/>
  </guide>
</package>
ZHMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:16 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Nothing looks out of place.

But above you said some errors were in the PDF which is not the same as the OPF.

Have you tried changing en-GB to just en in case they only accept a limited number of languages?

I would try loading your epub in Sigil or calibre and using Doitsu's epubcheck plugin and report all errors it reports about the opf with full info here.

But if this is feiyr.com, I thought we already determined their epub validation was very broken a few months back, at least that is what I remember.

Your package tag does seems to define a number of xmlns prefixes that are not used anyplace and could be deleted.

You can remove the calibre:author_link_map line as epub2 style metadata is ignored under epub3 specs. Same with the Sigil version info.

Just guessing but perhaps the opf is just not well-formed and parsing it is broken? Or maybe you incorrectly typed in the xmlns:dc definition. You should check that but at first glance it appears to be correct.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-11-2023 at 10:35 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:32 AM   #3
ZHMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Nothing looks out of place.

But above you said some errors were in the PDF which is not the same as the OPF.

Have you tried changing en-GB to just en in case they only accept a limited number of languages?

I would try loading your epub in Sigil or calibre and using Doitsu's epubcheck plugin and report all errors it reports about the opf with full info here.

But if this is feiyr.com, I thought we already determined their epub validation was very broken a few months back, at least that is what I remember.

Your package tag does seems to define a number of xmlns prefixes that are not used anyplace and could be deleted.

You can remove the calibre:author_link_map line as epub2 style metadata is ignored under epub3 specs. Same with the Sigil version info.

Just guessing but perhaps the opf is just not well-formed and parsing it is broken? Or maybe you incorrectly typed in the xmlns:dc definition. You should check that but at first glance it appears to be correct.
Hello! Yes, last time I published the same book in russian. There were also refusals several times, but after the 10th attempt the book was published )

This time I want to publish a book in English. Moreover, the structure of the content.opf and tok.ncx files was not changed. Changed only English text. I’ve already tried to publish it 15 times, and I keep getting rejected with various errors. We have already managed to adjust it so that the errors disappear, only those that were described in the post above remain.

The <dc:language>en-GB</dc:language> tag was replaced with <dc:language>en-US</dc:language> - the error disappeared), before it was <dc:language>en</dc:language > - also sent as an error.

The last two failures with the following errors:

The preview images of the eBook are still missing. Please upload them.
--------------
Errors were found within your PDF file.

Important details are missing in the meta data: Title and/or author.

Error / Metadata: Important information is missing from the metadata: Title.
Error / Metadata: Important information is missing from the metadata: Author.

Although everything is in the metadata:

<dc:title id="title">Hello, New Ukraine! or Big Offence of little putin.</dc:title>
<dc:creator id="author">Oleg Balan</dc:creator>
<meta refines="#author" property="role" scheme="marc:relators" id="role">aut</meta>
<meta refines="#author" property="file-as">Balan, Oleg</meta>

I'll try to remove it
<meta refines="#author" property="role" scheme="marc:relators" id="role">aut</meta>
<meta refines="#author" property="file-as">Balan, Oleg</meta>
and id="title" and id="author".

I also don’t understand why they still consider my epub file as a pdf...

Contacting the support service does not give any results.
They just want money, as they openly state in response to my requests.
I asked where the errors were, and also sent the contents of the content.opf file, to which they replied to use their paid services to correct publishing errors)))

Before publishing, I always check files for compliance with Epub 3 rules using the Sigil plugin EpubCheck_v0.4.6.3, also with the service https://draft2digital.com/book/epubcheck/upload
and the official Java applet from W3
https://www.w3.org/publishing/epubcheck/

Validation for current epub: 0 fatals / 0 errors / 0 warnings / 0 infos
Your epub is valid according to EPUB version 3.0 rules.

I removed the ID and meta tags of the author and title, let's see what happens)
Old 09-15-2023, 05:28 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would just try and publish it someplace reasonable instead. Anyone who wants to charge to explain their own error messages is probably just a sham.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:11 AM   #5
ZHMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I would just try and publish it someplace reasonable instead. Anyone who wants to charge to explain their own error messages is probably just a sham.
I would love to, but my client, the author of the book, wants it on this portal.
I have to suffer ))
Old 09-16-2023, 10:50 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It is the PDF thing that drives me crazy. Is there any PDF involved at all? You just uploaded an epub, not a PDF right? Your epub does not embed a PDF or link externally to a PDF by any chance?

So is it trying to create a PDF from your epub, but barfing on reading the opf title and creator metadata, even though epubcheck is perfectly happy with it?

So very strange!