Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
If you choose to use a style tag in the document header it needs to have a type defined. In this instance you would use:

<style type="text/css">
</style>

I would also agree with all the others that it is MUCH better, easier, faster to have the styles in your css page and simply link that css to each of your html pages. One CSS page for your entire book is easier to maintain than xxx chapter pages + front matter + back matter, etc.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
If you choose to use a style tag in the document header it needs to have a type defined. In this instance you would use:

<style type="text/css">
</style>

I would also agree with all the others that it is MUCH better, easier, faster to have the styles in your css page and simply link that css to each of your html pages. One CSS page for your entire book is easier to maintain than xxx chapter pages + front matter + back matter, etc.
I cannot stand multiple CSS files. I will combine them if I have to. But in most cases, the extra CSS is usually in files I end up deleting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:32 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've fixed the Camp Roster page.
Hmmm... deleted the <div class="container"> and changed <ol class="mnc"> to <ol>. Pretty much mean nothing changes in terms of the page display.

The question is if Reasily and ReadEra are now displaying the book as intended.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:38 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... deleted the <div class="container"> and changed <ol class="mnc"> to <ol>. Pretty much mean nothing changes in terms of the page display.

The question is if Reasily and ReadEra are now displaying the book as intended.
I tested it with ADE 2.0.1 and it now works where the chapter title and list are on the same page. Somehow it ended up taking the list as a single block and moving it to the next page when it didn't fit with the header.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:57 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tested it with ADE 2.0.1 and it now works where the chapter title and list are on the same page. Somehow it ended up taking the list as a single block and moving it to the next page when it didn't fit with the header.
The OP did not mention ADE in any version. What was mentioned was Reasily and ReadEra.

Oddly, ADE 4.5.11 was happy with the <div> in place.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:02 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The OP did not mention ADE in any version. What was mentioned was Reasily and ReadEra.

Oddly, ADE 4.5.11 was happy with the <div> in place.
ADE 2.0.1 is all I have one my laptop to test this ePub other then the calibre viewer.

Though I am curious if that chapter now works in Reasily and ReadEra. I also wonder how well they respect the CSS.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:34 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Though I am curious if that chapter now works in Reasily and ReadEra. I also wonder how well they respect the CSS.
The respect for CSS is almost always the big question for most Android ePub apps.

And the thread drift sets in...
Old 09-08-2023, 08:55 AM   #23
WV-Mike
Connoisseur
WV-Mike began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Yes!
Believe it or not I was up at 2am last night thinking about this and decided this morning to to remove the CSS from the list and see if that fixed the problem.
You beat me to it.

I am going to have to set this aside for a few days, but - "I'll be back".

Thanks,
WV-Mike
WV-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:04 AM   #24
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Quote:
That's why I mentioned the missing '}'. In the original version, the stylesheet ended without the closing }. Adding the } on a new line after src: url(../Fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.otf); fixed the issue for me.

Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'SmallCaps';
    font-weight: bold;
    font-style: normal;
    font-variant: small-caps;
    src: url(../Fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.otf);
Thanks! I am catching up with all the help. I am overwhelmed by the response.
WV-Mike
Quote:

I would suggest switching to either Sigil with Doitsu's epubcheck plugin or calibre's e-book editor again with the epubcheck plugin. This allows you to click on the error line number to go to the error. If your Pagina epub checker is not detecting that stylesheet error though epubcheck in both Sigil and calibre's e-book editor are not happy with it, you may to update pagina epub checker. From their webpage, you need 2.1.0 to use epubcheck 5.1.0.

I've attached an image of checking your original epub with pagina 2.1.0. The CSS-008 error at the end of the error list is that missing } which likely makes the font identification impossible.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #25
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That's an inline style. Bad idea, not seen that in years so I'd have to look up the syntax.
We're all familiar with stylesheet links that do this:
Code:
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
So, you would do the same thing with inline styles:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
Today, though, the type attribute is deprecated, because "text/css" is the only option. This tells me that Pagina is a very old program if it requires the type attribute.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:54 AM   #26
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Today, though, the type attribute is deprecated, because "text/css" is the only option. This tells me that Pagina is a very old program if it requires the type attribute.
I just downloaded a Pagina update (pagina-EPUB-Checker_Win-2.0.10) two days ago.

WV-Mike
Old 09-08-2023, 12:16 PM   #27
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Whether or not it's deprecated that's what that error code is looking for.

A solution to get the error to go away is to add the type="text/css" that it's looking for.

The BEST solution is to not have a <style> in the header in the first place and put your styling into a css file, then just link the file.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 03:07 PM   #28
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Problems with an ePub displaying properly in Reasily and ReadEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV-Mike View Post
Yes!
Believe it or not I was up at 2am last night thinking about this and decided this morning to to remove the CSS from the list and see if that fixed the problem.
You beat me to it.
I am going to have to set this aside for a few days, but - "I'll be back".
Thanks, WV-Mike
I am back.
The problem with the blank cover page when viewing with ReadEra is fixed.
I deleted the old cover and added a new one and all is well.
At this point I am going to call this "Done".
I want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.
WV-Mike
Attached Files
File Type: epub e_book_mnc-1970s-reports.epub (215.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-10-2023, 10:58 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV-Mike View Post
I am back.
The problem with the blank cover page when viewing with ReadEra is fixed.
I deleted the old cover and added a new one and all is well.
At this point I am going to call this "Done".
I want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.
WV-Mike
Great to hear that you're a happy camper. Your next projects will be a lot easier as you get comfortable with the tools.

And, personally, it's nice to have worked with someone who stuck with the project and let us know that it was completed.