Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #1
eddiezia
eddiezia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Converting Web Pages in to an epub Book Format

Folks I have a question on Converting Learning Material in the form of Web Pages into epub book/s that can be read on an EReader.

There is Learning Documentation available for Microsoft Products for instance. I wish to save these Web Pages in an epub book format to be read on a kobo instead of reading it on a PC. It's kind of Convenient to read it on a Kobo on a bus or a Train ride for instance that doesn't require WiFi Internet accesss to facilitate consumption of Reading Material.

Usually, the Content is laid out in long scrollable Web Pages with Nested links on the left Navbar. Occasionally there are figures and diagrams etc on these web pages, Would it be doable to keep the diagrams and figures appear legible while converting into epub Content?

Moreover I am also concerned about how to conserve the file size in epub with diagrams and figures that may actually bloat the size of the epub file. Are there any ways to keep the epub size manageable? The logic is an image file in bitmap format is much larger then a gif or jpeg or tif file. I hope that makes sense to the experts here.

My next concern is to ensure that the conversion into epub format keeps the sequence of Content to be exactly the same as it is laid out in the knowledge base format. Reading Chapter 2 ahead of Chapter 1 makes little sense.

In case a Document already exists that explains the Steps to achieve the above objective please forward me a link to the Document. I have already tried Searching for it but did not succeed. Thanks in Advance for your help.
eddiezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:29 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It all depends on how much javascript is needed to handle navigation, how the webpages are actually laid out (actual html structure and tags used) and etc. Things like a table of contents and keeping chapter order are standard in epub.

Without seeing the website page source and css, there is no way ti tell if this would be easy or hard.

That said, most browsers support some type of website download and archiving that can be used by the browser when offline. That would be much easier way to achieve what you want.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #3
eddiezia
eddiezia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks Kevin for responding to my query.This is the url I wish to start the epub book to be.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/po...er-bi-overview

Unless I give a reference to a specific web page an expert may not be able to respond to my query in the most optimal manner.

When you load the Above page in a browser the landing page is scrollable page with figures and diagrams etc.
In the Left Nav Bar all Nested Links need to appear in the order as they appear on the Left Navbar.

The size of the epub file needs to remain a manageable size. Please let me have your thoughts on the task. Much appreciated.
eddiezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:10 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiezia View Post
In case a Document already exists that explains the Steps to achieve the above objective please forward me a link to the Document.
dotEPUB might work. (You'll need to disable the Immersive mode option to have it export pictures, too.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:57 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, At the bottom of your learn microsoft page on the left hand side is a download PDF link for each chapter.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:22 PM   #6
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
sometimes I use this service, which is browser add-on dependent:

https://epub.press/
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:08 AM   #7
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

also: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/saveasebook/
Old 06-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sometimes using wget in "make a mirror mode" "Fix references"works to save an HTML directory structure that works with Calibre.

Otherwise I copy/paste to LO Writer, fix layout/format/images/headings etc and save odt, do extra Save As in docx for Calibre and make that to epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:03 PM   #9
Comfy.n

I'm really liking the Save as Ebook 1.4.2 add-on. I'd never given much thought to it, since epub.press works well... but yesterday I set up a mouse gesture that makes it instant to save most webpages. Sometimes it gives an error with the default "Save Page" action, then the "Save Selection" option takes care of it.