Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
What do we think the next new Kobo will be?

I have an ageing Kobo Aura HD. I bought a Libra last year, but found the uneven lighting to be a total distraction. I considered a Forma, but read that it also suffered some lighting issues. The Clara is not new or different enough from what I have to interest me. I'm utterly meh about the Nia. I was excited for this year's new Kobo, what turned out to be the Elipsa, but ultimately it's not what I want for my next Kobo.

So... utter speculation here... what do you think the next Kobo will be, what features it might have and when do you think it might come to the market?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
As a very satisfied Libra owner (either mine doesn't have the lighting problem or I lack the wit to notice them), I'd be tempted by a "fixed" Forma. If they fixed the Forma's power button problem and gave it the display of the Elipsa (which seems to be getting raves), I'd look at going from 7 to 8 inches. All the other flim flam frippery like BT, audiobook support etc has no appeal for me
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
As a very satisfied Libra owner (either mine doesn't have the lighting problem or I lack the wit to notice them), I'd be tempted by a "fixed" Forma. If they fixed the Forma's power button problem and gave it the display of the Elipsa (which seems to be getting raves), I'd look at going from 7 to 8 inches. All the other flim flam frippery like BT, audiobook support etc has no appeal for me
Same.

I did notice the uneven lighting on my Libra when I first got it, but I've never been particularly fussy about lighting issues and soon stopped noticing it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd like an Elipsa with buttons on the side like the Forma has. It already has a wide spot there so it's ready for them. I really like the Elipsa (without the heavy cover or case it snaps into) so if they come out with a Forma that has its warts fixed I don't plan on getting one. They also should use the faster cpu like the Elipsa has; it's noticeably faster after adding some books to it with calibre, when that adding books progress bar pops up.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'd love a Forma type reader (light, flexible substrate) the size of the H2O.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #6
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
I agree with what hobnail said about the Forma but without it being close to double the price of the Libra....
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:40 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd like a 6" reader with both warm light and waterproofing. I believe that is coming soon, but not sure it will be their next reader.

Now a 6" reader with the form factor and features of the Libra and Forma?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
9.7 or 10 inch screen - 300DPI
Form factor like Aura ONE
Comfortlight lighting
keep it as light as possible
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I'd like a Clara with page-turn buttons.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
In order of likelihood, I think an update or replacement for:
  • Clara HD - probably waterproofed
  • Libra H2O
  • Forma - I don't think this is the next device as someone in Kobo marketing will think they can sell more Elipsa's by not updating the Forma.
  • Nia - though this needs to be either abandoned or made much cheaper.

Hopefully whatever comes will get the CPU and RAM from the Elipsa.

I can almost see a Forma sized version of the Elipsa. But, again, I don't think it will be the next device. If this is in the pipeline, I think it will be another year at the earliest.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Elipsa and Forma are really different markets?

A waterproofed Clara HD seems likely. It's the PW4 competitor?
Maybe a revised forma to cost reduce internals, improve lighting and power button.

The Libra is already pretty minimalist internals, works well and we have two (one recent) with no issues on buttons, lighting, or power button. Maybe they might make 32G Flash a default if Flash prices fall.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-31-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I have an ageing Kobo Aura HD. I bought a Libra last year, but found the uneven lighting to be a total distraction. I considered a Forma, but read that it also suffered some lighting issues. The Clara is not new or different enough from what I have to interest me. I'm utterly meh about the Nia. I was excited for this year's new Kobo, what turned out to be the Elipsa, but ultimately it's not what I want for my next Kobo.

So... utter speculation here... what do you think the next Kobo will be, what features it might have and when do you think it might come to the market?
I have the Libra and the Forma and whilst the Libra has better even lighting than the Forma (which does have an uneven bit bottom right of the screen) it’s the Forma I like the most. Because of the Natural light selector is quite easy to cover over the uneven bit by going a bit more yellow. I love the Forma and would get another one if anything happened to it. Both readers are lovely to use.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Elipsa and Forma are really different markets?
They seem like it to me, with the Elipsa's focus on note taking.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:23 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A waterproofed Clara HD seems likely. It's the PW4 competitor?
I think so too. I just hope they don't add waterproofing, but then drop the amber lighting.

There's also been speculation of a Paperwhite refresh coming soon. And waterproofing and amber lighting is about all they can really do feature wise at this point on the 6" readers.

Yeah, larger hard drive, more RAM, new processor. But that stuff is harder to market to a typical buyer.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:34 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
9.7 or 10 inch screen - 300DPI
Form factor like Aura ONE
Comfortlight lighting
keep it as light as possible
Does E Ink even make a 9.7/10" screen with 300PPI resolution?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote