Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Ncage1974
Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs up Found good blog demonstrating pdf ability of kindle 3

Just wanted to let everyone know i found a pretty awesome blog on the kindle 3 PDF ability:
http://ireaderreview.com/2010/08/26/...-photos-video/

I've really been on the fence for quite awhile. First of all i have a ton of books in PDF & CHM (which i will convert to pdf before i tranfer). 99.9% of the material i read is tech related (i'm a programmer). I heard that the pdf handling of the kindle wasn't that great even with the Kindle DX. I heard the kindle 3 would be better with PDF but, of course, we didn't have any idea how much improvements would have been made. Right now i lug around my 7 pound Lenovo Thinkpad T61 which is just a pain just to read ebooks. I had some options of course:

1. IPad - Primarily money was a concern. $500 for an ebook reader seems kind of pricey to me. Granted i could probably do a few more things with it like consume video podcast or watch movies but that wasn't my primary reason for buying it. Also the ultra reflective glossy screen might be an issue sometimes but the money factor was why i elimanted it. I couldn't complain about 10 hours of battery life of course but it isn't anywhere near what the kindle would get.

2. Netbook - Definitely not as convenient a form factor as the kindle / Ipad but not nearly as bad as a full size laptop. With some of the better ones you can almost get as good of battery life as the Ipad. I would have probably thrown ubuntu linux on it so i could have done ruby on rails development. There in lies the problem. I would have to use wine to run amazon kindle software which doesn't even work with the current iteration and your forced to use an old beta edition.

So with all that being said. If you read that blog i linked the kindle is definitely descent it seems in its pdf abilities. While i will admit its not perfect i think it might be acceptable.

I think i will wait, just in case, until the samsung android tablet is supposed to be released on September 7th. Just see how expensive its going to be. Also heard that its going to be sold through verizon...which means they will probably stick you with a data contract but we will see. Also if its going to succeed it better not be priced anywhere near the IPad.

Ncage

Last edited by Ncage1974; 08-31-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Ncage1974 is offline   Reply With Quote