Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
topcat07
Member
topcat07 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2014
Device: kobo touch
When turning off and on sometimes the page of the book has moved backwards?

hi all

hoping someone can help me with this please

So for example i turn off the device on page 150. Sometimes i will turn on the device a number of hours later and it will pick up from page 150 but other times it may have gone back to page 148 :S

what gives?

Thanks
topcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
frankenhooker
Member
frankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura about
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 4452
Join Date: Jan 2013
Device: kobo touch
Same problem here using the latest firmware (3.3?).
frankenhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
GeoffR's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,821
Karma: 19162882
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Te Riu-a-Māui
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat07 View Post
So for example i turn off the device on page 150. Sometimes i will turn on the device a number of hours later and it will pick up from page 150 but other times it may have gone back to page 148 :S
Do you use a sleepcover?

If the sleepcover magnet is not positioned quite right or is disturbed, the device can wake briefly while the cover is still closed and the page turned by the cover touching the screen.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
topcat07
Member
topcat07 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2014
Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Do you use a sleepcover?

If the sleepcover magnet is not positioned quite right or is disturbed, the device can wake briefly while the cover is still closed and the page turned by the cover touching the screen.

Hello

i dont use a sleepcover , just a normal case

have been turning device fully off

if i put it into sleep mode would i get this problem ?
topcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 21,848
Karma: 38446081
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat07 View Post
have been turning device fully off

if i put it into sleep mode would i get this problem ?
It possibly would help. One of the reasons for seeing strange things like this is that the database on the device has become corrupt. In this case, the current reading position doesn't get stored correctly. As long as the device is running, everything seems OK. But, when you power off, the database isn't written to memory and when it turns on, old data is read. It sounds like the book is reopening to a spot near the last place you were reading. If that is the case, it suggests the database is OK, just that something is going wrong in calculating the position to open to.

So, some questions:

- Is this just one book, or all books?
- What format? epub, kepub, sideloaded kepup, PDF? For sideloaded kepubs, are they being sent from calibre via the KoboTouchExtended driver?
- Is the position always off by just a few pages? Does it get worse further along in the book? Does it reopen to the beginning of chapter correctly?
- If you use the table of contents or the navigation bar, does it go to the right place?
- What firmware version are you running?

There has been at least one firmware version that showed a problem like this. I think it was one of the 2.3.x versions. That had a problem that sounds like this one if the margin on the device was not set to the minimum. That has been fixed and I haven't heard of anything similar since.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
GeoffR's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,821
Karma: 19162882
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Te Riu-a-Māui
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat07 View Post
i dont use a sleepcover , just a normal case

have been turning device fully off

if i put it into sleep mode would i get this problem ?
What sort of books are you reading, epub, synced kepub, sideloaded kepub? Faulty books can have navigation problems of various sorts. And the book is sideload as kepub just by changing the filename from .epub to .kepub.epub without using Calibre then a lot of things related to book location won't work.

There was a bug in firmware versions 3.0.x that caused settings to be lost for books on the external micro-SD card. But I think that was fixed in 3.1.x.

Beyond that I don't know. My Glo with firmware 3.5.0 always opens to the correct page whether turned fully off or after waking from sleep. I have tested with sideloaded epubs and synced kepubs in internal memory.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MacEachaidh's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Karma: 578294
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat07 View Post
So for example i turn off the device on page 150. Sometimes i will turn on the device a number of hours later and it will pick up from page 150 but other times it may have gone back to page 148 :S
Hi topcat,
I've got a Touch and Aura HD. I've seen this behaviour on the Touch from the day I first got it, so I doubt it's a issue of database corruption. In any case, at least twice in its life I've done hard resets and reinstalled the firmware, and the behaviour has continued unchecked. It happens on my Aura HD as well, but far less frequently, and I think that's a clue.

What it seems to come down to, in my opinion, is that the Digital Editions logical page and the Kobo display page are often (usually?) different lengths. The difference is affected by font size, line spacing etc. If you switch on the ADE page numbers, you'll see they usually don't line up.

It seems that when the Kobo goes to sleep (or off) and then fires up again, if the display page you were on coincides with the top of an ADE logical page, then the Kobo opens up to the display page you were on. But if the start of the specific logical page you were on actually falls one or even two display pages back from where you were, then that's where the Kobo will open up.

That's how it seems to work for me, anyway. (And just to clarify, I'm only reading ePub books, not kepubs, which I believe use a different display enginge so may get different behaviour in this respect.)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 21,848
Karma: 38446081
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Hi topcat,
I've got a Touch and Aura HD. I've seen this behaviour on the Touch from the day I first got it, so I doubt it's a issue of database corruption. In any case, at least twice in its life I've done hard resets and reinstalled the firmware, and the behaviour has continued unchecked. It happens on my Aura HD as well, but far less frequently, and I think that's a clue.

What it seems to come down to, in my opinion, is that the Digital Editions logical page and the Kobo display page are often (usually?) different lengths. The difference is affected by font size, line spacing etc. If you switch on the ADE page numbers, you'll see they usually don't line up.

It seems that when the Kobo goes to sleep (or off) and then fires up again, if the display page you were on coincides with the top of an ADE logical page, then the Kobo opens up to the display page you were on. But if the start of the specific logical page you were on actually falls one or even two display pages back from where you were, then that's where the Kobo will open up.

That's how it seems to work for me, anyway. (And just to clarify, I'm only reading ePub books, not kepubs, which I believe use a different display enginge so may get different behaviour in this respect.)
Firstly, the bottom of the screen page number is the page number for the first character on the screen. That means the in-margin page number is usually one higher than at the bottom of the screen. And if you use a small font, there can be two or three page numbers in the margin. I don't usually show the in-margin page numbers, but I have never seen the two number not following these rules.

For the reading position, the device does not store the page number. It stores a reference to the current file within the epub, and a pointer to first character on the screen. An example of this is:

Code:
OEBPS/Text/Section0001.html#point(/1/4/6/2/1:126)
The set of numbers in the "point" are a count of the number of tags at each level of nesting within the file. The last number is the count within the tag of the character that is first on the screen.The position above is in the middle of bold text within the third paragraph in the chapter.

Note: The tag counts are always even and seem to counting opening and closing tags. I'm not sure what happens with "<br/>" or "<hr/>".

When the book is reopened, it should be reopened to display that character. If nothing has changed in the reading settings, this same character should be the first on the screen. If the reading settings have changed, then it could be elsewhere on the screen. And if that happened, the page number displayed could be one or two less than when the book was closed.

I don't think this is what topcat07 is seeing. But, I could see the rendering getting slightly different results when paging through a book vs opening to a position. And the further into a chapter, the more likely this would be.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
topcat07
Member
topcat07 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2014
Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It possibly would help. One of the reasons for seeing strange things like this is that the database on the device has become corrupt. In this case, the current reading position doesn't get stored correctly. As long as the device is running, everything seems OK. But, when you power off, the database isn't written to memory and when it turns on, old data is read. It sounds like the book is reopening to a spot near the last place you were reading. If that is the case, it suggests the database is OK, just that something is going wrong in calculating the position to open to.

So, some questions:

- Is this just one book, or all books?
- What format? epub, kepub, sideloaded kepup, PDF? For sideloaded kepubs, are they being sent from calibre via the KoboTouchExtended driver?
- Is the position always off by just a few pages? Does it get worse further along in the book? Does it reopen to the beginning of chapter correctly?
- If you use the table of contents or the navigation bar, does it go to the right place?
- What firmware version are you running?

There has been at least one firmware version that showed a problem like this. I think it was one of the 2.3.x versions. That had a problem that sounds like this one if the margin on the device was not set to the minimum. That has been fixed and I haven't heard of anything similar since.
>all books
>epub via calibre
>not sure on this one havent finished a book yet
>i just open the book without a table of contents of navigation bar
>Firmware 3.3

Thanks for your help
topcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
the.Mtn.Man's Avatar
 
Posts: 666
Karma: 2275446
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I've got a Touch and Aura HD. I've seen this behaviour on the Touch from the day I first got it, so I doubt it's a issue of database corruption. In any case, at least twice in its life I've done hard resets and reinstalled the firmware, and the behaviour has continued unchecked. It happens on my Aura HD as well, but far less frequently, and I think that's a clue.
Just to add some murkiness to this issue, I have never experienced this on my Kobo Touch which I used for several years, nor does my recently purchased Kobo Aura exhibit this behavior. The only time I got random page turns on my Touch is when I closed the cover before flicking the switch to put it in sleep mode, in which case the cover was breaking the infrared beam and causing a page or two turn. Once I got in the habit of putting it to sleep before closing the cover, it never happened again.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #11
topcat07
Member
topcat07 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2014
Device: kobo touch
is this the answer? ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146967

this is actually been mentioned a couple of times; when in sleep mode , the last page you are on stays in the systems ram, which requires power to maintain, and this is why it's much faster to get back into your book from a sleep state. When the device is off, ram is cleared so no power is required to maintain it. There is however, I believe, constant power drain regardless of the power state for the system clock, but this should be negligible.
topcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
open source book scanner with page turning Freeshadow News 0 11-15-2012 07:16 PM
PRS-T1 PRS-T1 - Changing page margins prevents 'touch' page turning Berzelius Sony Reader 2 08-24-2012 04:02 AM
Backwards book listing???? kennyc Amazon Kindle 10 11-13-2009 08:48 AM
Kicked out of book when turning page Tinwolf HanLin eBook 16 11-06-2009 02:06 PM
Hanlin v3 Page Turning Button not always Turning the Page Jakodai HanLin eBook 16 01-21-2009 04:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.