Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
phossler
Guru
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Q: Should [Delete File] also delete <link>?

If I delete a Style or Font shouldn't any associated links also be deleted?

(Not sure about images, etc.)

One.jpg is a Sigil generated epub.

Two.jpg is the file loaded into the editor and the two CSS files deleted.

Opening the epub as a zip shows the 4 ttf files and the 2 css files in the root, so I think I have the references correct

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	117445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	117446  

Last edited by phossler; 01-01-2014 at 04:42 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
If I delete a Style or Font shouldn't any associated links also be deleted?

(Not sure about images, etc.)

One.jpg is a Sigil generated epub.

Two.jpg is the file loaded into the editor and the two CSS files deleted.

Opening the epub as a zip shows the 4 ttf files and the 2 css files in the root, so I think I have the references correct

Paul
Kind of dangerous to have happen automatically (did I mention I hate full Automatic anything). You might be getting ready to use those somewhere else/later

IMHO Sigil did a good job with 'Delete Unused..." which then presented a selection List of what it proposes.
This way, there is only 1 person to blame , the one that clicked OK
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
phossler
Guru
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well .... I sort of agree

If I delete a style sheet, I'd expect that the now invalid links would be deleted. After all, I could add new ones and relink. There is a Link Stylesheets option to delete current ones so I use that

The biggest 'un-learning' I've experienced from Sigil is the difference in folder structures: Sigil put .ttf's in ..\Fonts\, .css's in ..\Styles\ etc.

If I open and edit a Sigil epub in Calibre Editor and add files, the folder structure and links get a little confused being in different paths

Starting with a clean Calibre empty book and adding files does not cause problems, although (being an old dog) I prefer the IMHO more structured approach from Sigil.

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Well .... I sort of agree

If I open and edit a Sigil epub in Calibre Editor and add files, the folder structure and links get a little confused being in different paths

Starting with a clean Calibre empty book and adding files does not cause problems, although (being an old dog) I prefer the IMHO more structured approach from Sigil.

Paul
You are in control of the structure. When you add something you can easily determine where it goes by prefixing with the folder name then a slash and then the file name. You can totally keep the Sigil structure if you wish. Calibre supports whatever structure you want and does not change it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dislike automatic deleting of links. The potential for mistakes is too large. Say you delete a bunch of images and the images happen to be linked from multiple html files. You might easily forget to replace the references to the images with in one file. If the original reference is deleted, then you may never realize it. If it is not deleted, the check book tool will warn you about the dangling reference and you can then either delete it or manually change it to point to another image.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #6
Sunlite
Groupie
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Maybe it would be possible to add a more specific repair action to the check book issue?

Like 'delete the file' for not referenced resources and 'delete link' for links to not existing resources.

That way the user has to decide that something is changed, but it would be better than the 'try to fix everything' option, where you have ni idea what it will do.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote