Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2023, 07:04 AM   #1
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
Migrating bookmarks and highlights from Moonreader app(android) to a Kindle device

I am pondering upon buying my first Kindle reader device. I have been using moon reader pro app on my phone for over 5 years.

Whenever I changed my phone, I synced bookmarks and everything was set.

How can I migrate that data to a new Kindle device in the most effective way?
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:46 AM   #2
untilyouarrived
Enthusiast
untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Remarkable 2, HiSense Hi Reader
I don’t think it’s possible, I’m afraid. They both store the data in completely different ways.
untilyouarrived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:03 AM   #3
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
i don't think that's possible. Moonreader saves stuff like bookmarks and data (cache etc) in its own folders (.Moonreader and its internal one) and you would have to first find out how exactly everything is saved, then decode it and write new files for the kindle who are compatible.

i don't think thats easy possible and the best way would be to just transfer all your books on your kindle, read all books you currently still read done in Moonreader, and then start fresh books on the kindle. alternatively you could manually go to the page you are on currently in each book.. but that takes a lot of time.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:25 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yet another alternative is to buy not a Kindle, but an eink Android-based reader. You can then install MoonReader on it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:03 AM   #5
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yet another alternative is to buy not a Kindle, but an eink Android-based reader. You can then install MoonReader on it.
That's fascinating. I never knew such option existed! Can you suggest some devices, models and brands?
Old 03-23-2023, 02:06 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archz2 View Post
That's fascinating. I never knew such option existed! Can you suggest some devices, models and brands?
The best known are Onyx devices:
https://onyxboox.com/product

There is an Onyx subforum on MobileRead, where you can get more information:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums//f...play.php?f=220
Old 03-23-2023, 05:56 AM   #7
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
That's fascinating. I never knew such option existed! Can あなた suggest some devices, models and brands?
I can recommend you the Onyx ones. i got myself a Onyx Boox Nova Air a while ago and love it. i even use it as a graphictablet for my computer for drawing (SuperDisplay App from the Playstore), reading mangas with Tachiyomi etc..

it's really nice. but i would recommend you to get a STAEDTLER Noris Digital Pen for it. The Pen that comes with Onyx Tablets seem to have nibs who wear down really quick. i used my nib for around 2-4 weeks and it was already worn down a lot. My STAEDTLER nib is still going strong after weeks without any sign of wearing down. Also it feels nicer and smoother on the Display to write compared with the default nibs.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
archz2
Connoisseur

Now almost after 6 months, I am revisiting this thread because I eventually bought a Kindle device because of limited options available in my country and the workaround of contacting some relative/friend abroad and co-ordinating with him to bring an eInk device to my country would be not successful or take a long time.

The answer will be no, and being hopeful, I'm still giving a shot. Is there any smart workaround of migrating the highlights from Moonreader to Kindle?

The only workaround I know is to manually do the highlights one by one in the same books on my paperwhite device. Is there any other process that has arrived in the meantime?
Old 09-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there any smart workaround of migrating the highlights from Moonreader to Kindle?

The only workaround I know is to manually do the highlights one by one in the same books on my paperwhite device. Is there any other process that has arrived in the meantime?
Unfortunately you're right, the answer is still no and is likely to remain that way.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:49 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Unfortunately you're right, the answer is still no and is likely to remain that way.
But these posts make it slightly less hopeless:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=30
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=32
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:40 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Frankly, I don't understand a word in those posts. In baby words, what do they do?
Old 09-03-2023, 02:32 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Frankly, I don't understand a word in those posts. In baby words, what do they do?
amazon puts bookmarks, highlights locations, annotations, etc. in some of the files in the .sdr directory for the book.

Four years ago jhowell reverse engineered the formats for these files and provided software to read them. He was mainly satisfying his curiousity and has no interest in doing further development.

Very recently, willemml published software that can both read and write these files. I think that willemml is mainly interested in changing these files rather than exporting or importing data from other platforms or converting between kindle formats. But now a programmer wanting to build such tools does not have to independently develop the ability to read and write these files.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:13 AM   #13
archz2
Connoisseur

The highlights are saved in a txt file called myclippings in the Kindle device. Every highlight text has a location number present alongside it.

If someone is programming something, somehow using the same location number for every highlight from the Moon reader highlights could be a way forward.

The Moon reader exported highlights in text need to have a location number.

Deciphering how Amazon kindle location number system works precisely might lead to something. I'm zero in programming.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The highlights are saved in a txt file called myclippings in the Kindle device.
No. Highlights, bookmarks, etc. are logged in that file. It is not used by the kindle except to write to. I always delete it from mine when I accidentally do something that creates it. You can put anything that you like in that file but the kindle will ignore it.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Deciphering how Amazon kindle location number system works precisely might lead to something. I'm zero in programming.
That was worked out years ago.