Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Blrp
Blrp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question How to properly add a cover?

When I generate a cover for an ePub in Calibre and then add the book to My Books on Google Play, the book appears to have no cover. Is this Google's fault or is it Calibre's? I.e. is there some generally recognized standard for an image file in, say, an ePub to be recognized as the cover of the file, which Calibre adheres to but Google Play doesn't? Or is the common method just to make the image appear as page 1 of the ePub?

As far as I can tell, when you generate a cover, all Calibre does is put a cover.jpg in the ePub's folder as well as in the ePub file itself. What's even the point of putting the cover file in the ePub itself if it's not gonna function as a cover outside Calibre?

If it's not just Google Play being stupid, what's the best way to make it so cover.jpg is recognized as the cover of the ePub (e.g. how to make it page 1)? Please be explicit as I'm a noob in this area.
Blrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When you update a book's metadata or cover, the format files (ePub, AZW3, PDF, DOCX, etc) are not updated. The Send to Device and Save to Disk tools have options to include the current metadata and cover in the files sent/saved.

How do you add books to Google Play? If you just copy from the library then you'll need to update the library copy of the files before copying. You can use the Polish Books tool for ePubs and AZW3s, the Embed Metadata tool for any format, or the Modify ePub optional plugin. You'll need to use Preferences->Toolbars and menus to make Polish and Embed available.

If you want to retain the original files, I suggest you use the Save to Disk option to add the books to Google Play directly (if that's possible), or save to a staging area and update Google Play from there.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover