Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #16
jkingrph
jkingrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
With the thick button side I find the Oasis easier and more comfortable to hold than the Voyage. It is a bit on the slick side, and I am using it bare now, and am supposed to have a Moko case delivered tomorrow. If that does not feel right, I may just get some skins and an envelope to store it.
jkingrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I put a Skinomi textured skin on the back of mine, and find it just fine to hold without a cover.

When I read in bed, I am laying on either of my sides, and without my glasses, so the screen is about 7” from my eyes. I use a pillow to prop it, and find it easy to hold. Once I have it in a cover, I’ll have to see if I’m able to prop it the same way as I can my Kobo, on its right edge with the cover creating an upside down V when I lay on my right side.

I’m pretty much thrilled with this Oasis, it’s the best one I’ve had to this point. I love how seamlessly the screen rotates when I switch hands, and the screen is beautiful. The extra size is wonderful too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I love the metal (reminds me of the original 505), but had to cover it with a DecalGirl skin, adds grip and feels warmer
I like the idea of the skin, but I keep picturing the troubles I had with putting screen protectors on my old PDAs. Bubbles under the protector, never getting in on just straight! How do you deal with that with one of these skins - which are definitely larger than my little 3x5 screens.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I like the idea of the skin, but I keep picturing the troubles I had with putting screen protectors on my old PDAs. Bubbles under the protector, never getting in on just straight! How do you deal with that with one of these skins - which are definitely larger than my little 3x5 screens.
Both the Skinomi and DecalGirl skins can be peeled up and repositioned. They are also designed so air doesn’t get trapped. I recently removed the Skinomi from mine and put on a Decal Girl skin on the front and back with no problems. I kept the Skinomi too by laying it on a piece of waxed paper.

I’ll take a pic of the new skin and post it in a minute.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have big hands and live in Florida. No problem holding or with temperature.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 AM   #20
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I put decalgirl skins on all my devices, they're nothing like those blasted plastic screen​ protectors. I used to have to order those in packs of ten for my ipad :-/ I refuse to use them, I use glass screen​ protectors and decalgirl skins on everything.
Ive got several of the decalgirl skins for my paperwhite and have switched them out 3 or 4 times. They go on perfect every time. Love em'.
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #21
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I'm still finding the new Oasis very uncomfortable - it digs into my hand when I hold it, and it still feels very heavy to me, even though I've tried to convince myself otherwise after hearing how comfortable most of you find it. I love the screen size, but, when I picked up my Voyage today, after a week of the Oasis, it felt so light, and the velvety feel of the back felt so comfortable in my grip. Plus, it's just as effortless turning pages with the page press buttons. I don't see the point in returning the Oasis and buying last year's Oasis when my Voyage is still going strong, over three years after I bought it.

I think I will be returning my beautiful Oasis tomorrow and going back to my Voyage. (Plus, the battery on my Voyage was still at around 100% after a week of neglect, and I'm disappointed with the poor battery life of the Oasis.) Waterproofing was important to me, as we have a pool that I read beside/in a lot, but I think I can live without it, just by reading beside the pool with my trusty old bashed up Voyage.

The fact that whenever I read the Oasis I'm thinking so much about the metal corners digging into me, and the weight of the thing, means I don't think I can get used to it.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #22
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
I have medium sized hands and find the new oasis very comfortable... In fact I am selling my voyage after using the oasis for the past few weeks.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #23
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
I have medium sized hands and find the new oasis very comfortable... In fact I am selling my voyage after using the oasis for the past few weeks.
That's great, I'm really glad you're finding it so comfortable. I'm going to keep working on it.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
I just moved from a Voyage to the Oasis 2 and find it wonderful. The back is a little slippery, but I have ordered a clear skin for it. I don't see any reason to cover the screen.
But you don't cover the screen while you read. You cover the screen to protect it when you aren't reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #25
enro99
enro99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Do you use the Skintomi Screen Protector + Full Body? Clear skin?
enro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
enro99
enro99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
I just moved from a Voyage to the Oasis 2 and find it wonderful. The back is a little slippery, but I have ordered a clear skin for it. I don't see any reason to cover the screen.

What kind of clear skin can you find that just covers the back? I can't seem to find anything like that.
enro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #27
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You don't have to use both sides of the skins. I started with a Skinomi, then ordered a Decal Girl skin. I did place both sides on the Oasis, for those times when I'm reading it naked.

I have a low cost cover as well for when I take it out of the house.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #28
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I have to admit that I kind of got used to the cold feel of the aluminum body. I found it a bit awkward at first to read in bed like I normally do (holding the device with both hands) but I’ve gotten around to it. For me, it's no problem using my free hand to balance the narrow side a little bit from time to time and according to feeling. I think I like it now, but will keep on observing my behaviour and update you on that
Generally:
Would I prefer a 7 inch Kindle with symmetrical design and rubberised back? Definitely!
Would I want to give up the larger screen? Nah!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #29
Pjama
Guru

I read mine in the bath for the first time today, so I'm definitely keeping it! I quite often read it on a lap tray as I still find it quite awkward. I'm getting used to it, though.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Coming from the very lightweight Voyage and Oasis 1, I found the Oasis 2 pretty heavy and uncomfortable to hold at first. But now I've gotten used to it and don't really notice the weight any longer. I'm still going to read on my older readers too, but I think their smaller screens will take some getting used to, the larger screen of the new Oasis is sooo nice.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote