Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
PaleoRDR
Stone Tablet Reader
PaleoRDR began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
[Android] Calibre Companion Times out on Sync

I'm having a problem with CC on a google nexus tablet. When I attempt to connect to Calibre as a wireless device, CC pops up a screen that says Waiting for Calibre..., then hangs. On the Calibre side, the task goes through Get Device and Set Library successfully, then hangs up on Get List. After 5 minutes of spinning, it times out and aborts. Here's a copy of the traceback:

calibre, version 3.10.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

There was a timeout while communicating with the device in function: Device did not respond in reasonable time

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 1271, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 633, in _call_client
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 665, in _receive_from_client
TimeoutError: There was a timeout while communicating with the device in function: Device did not respond in reasonable time

FYI - there are approx. 14000 epubs in CC, and about 16000 in the Calibre Library. I can understand a bit of time lag in processing the lists, but this appears to be hanging up before the lists are even transferred. Help?
PaleoRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:48 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Unfortunately the calibre debug log doesn't give any information about why this might be happening. A CC debug log would tell more.

That said, my first guess is that the problem is that CC's "scan for new books" is taking a very long time. Try turning that off in Settings / Connecting to calibre / Wireless Device connection / Scan on connect. Another possibility is that the file system performance has tanked because of the number of books. See our FAQ [Android] I have added a lot of books and now adding books takes forever. What do I do? for more information. A third possibility is that CC is running out of memory.

If none of the above helps then send me a CC debug log. As I said above, that should tell me what CC thinks it is doing.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had the same problem and turning off "scan for new books" worked!

Thanks!
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote