Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Your opinions wanted on a second Kpw3

I was a die hard Nook user since day 1. But in recent years the inability to Save my purchases To my hard drive and the uncomfortable hold of the Nook Glow Plus made me a Kindle user (even though the refuse to use epub).

Anyway I am an avid reader and take my KPW 3 everywhere. Lately It has been taken so many places that I can't keep track of it. It drves me bonkers when I am ready for the next chapter and it is not in my purse where it is normally kept.
For times like these I am thinking about purchasing another for backup.

No I don't want to use the app on my phone because both my phones are tight on space.

Your thoughts?

PS. It would be a perfect world if KPW3 hardware had Nook Glow Plus software.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It would seem somewhat cheaper, not to mention more efficient, simply to make sure that you carry it with you.

You may want to edit your profile to accurately reflect the devices that you currently use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

I keep it in my purse to carry it with me. Problem is if I take it out of my purse at home I lose track.

My major concern in buying a backup is will an updated version be coming out in the next 60 days after I buy it?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think this late in the year a new Paperwhite 3 is unlikely to be followed soon by a new model. If there was a new model it would probably already have been released in time for the shopping season, which we're already starting into. Of course there's no guarantee.

There is one kind of guarantee though. If a new model comes out your new one will still work as well as when you bought it. And it's unlikely the new model will be a lot better. Amazon is doing incremental improvements these days because they're products are pretty nearly perfected. I have a Paperwhite 3 and a Paperwhite 2 and I use them interchangeably. I can't tell the difference even though some people can. They're the same device to me.

It sounds like your current choice is to wait in the small chance there'll be a new model soon and keep living with the inconvenience or just get one and don't worry about it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If you can afford it, go for it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well just cause you have 2 don't mean they going to sync. Be best you remember to add it to your purse before you leave home.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My various Kindles sync very nicely but lately I've pretty much stopped using sync. I read on my Kindles, my Kobo and my phone with Moon+ reader so I've begun working out reliable ways to manually sync. I pretty much have that down pat now and I'm finding that it's simple and fast. I can remember some phrase from the top of the page I'm reading and use search to find that phrase and it's nearly as fast as using Whispersync.

Also I tend to read from chapter to chapter so I often stop at the end of a chapter and then all I need is the number of the next chapter to sync. That's even faster and easier than Whispersync.

I haven't done this long enough to know that I won't go back to using Whispersync but I have a feeling that I won't. Using various devices as I do this is just more practical.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #8
SonDan1
Connoisseur

Thank you Barry and Cini. Keep the thoughts coming. I appreciate anyone taking time to reply.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 AM   #9
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
You could get a used device for carrying in your purse. I've got 4 different devices, one of them I got really cheap so I even take it with me when going to concerts.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have multiple ereaders, one kindle and two kobos, plus I have a Fire. I keep my Voyage in my handbag and read on everything else at home. I do use Sync between the Voyage and my Fire but for the kobos I simply use the search facility to move to my latest location. I like having more than one reader.

If Amazon do any deals on the PW3 and you can afford it, get a new model if you want one. You don't have to justify it to anyone but yourself.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You could also get a Kindle Fire for use at home, and keep the PW in your purse for going out. They should sync up fine, and you'll find using a tablet at home is quite useful.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm a firm believer in having a dedicated purse reader.

For me, it boils down to how important it is for you to sync between devices (it isn't important to me). If you're going to rely on it for holding your place, then it has to be another PW. If you're willing to do a search or go by chapters, or if you read different books, you might consider a Kobo, which has the epub functionality you prefer and far superior organizing capability.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You could also get a Kindle Fire for use at home, and keep the PW in your purse for going out. They should sync up fine, and you'll find using a tablet at home is quite useful.
If the OP wants a tablet she can do an awful lot better than a Fire. It's not a good tablet at all, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #14
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If cost isn't an issue, I think getting a second Kindle dedicated to purse use is a great idea. I have a Voyage and it syncs with my iPad and iPhone (and also with another Kindle when I had 2) with no problem. I've been out on occasion without my Kindle and have resorted to reading on my iPhone (not fun) but it has always synced to the current page I was on.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Where would you be reading when you're out and about? If it's going to be in well lit areas, you could consider buying the basic Kindle for your purse reader. Assuming that you're in the US, that would save you $40--and if you watch out for a sale, the basic Kindles often go on sale for $20 less (or $59).

Just a thought--and my opinion (which isn't shared by my husband) is that you can never have too many readers!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote