Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 03:19 AM   #1
henders254
Enthusiast
henders254 began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
deleted

deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-15-2017 at 06:56 PM.
henders254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Extra features with the Voyage are:

1. Metal case rather than the plastic of the PW.
2. Toughened glass screen which (to my mind at least) gives a crisper image than the plastic outer screen of the PW.
3. Flush screen rather than the recessed screen of the PW. Much easier to keep clean - there are no "edges" for dirt to get into!
4. Page turn sensors.
5. Adaptive light sensor which can automatically adjust the light level to suit ambient lighting conditions.

Personally I think the extra cost of the Voyage is worthwhile. You may of course reach a different conclusion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Both have ppi of 300 Unless you want to spend extra on what Harry stated. I don't believe it make a difference. The Crisper letters going from PW1 to the PW3 is whats going to make a difference in reading.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just received my new Voyage today (it finally became internationally available this spring). I chose Voyage over PW3 mostly because it has page press sensors, weighs less (yes, even so small a difference is noticeable to me) and has (at least by hearsay) a bit sharper text/better contrast. Those reasons may not be all that important to you.

Also, the Voyage is known to have an unevenly tinted frontlight, whereas the Paperwhite is not. Mine has a distinct yellow tint on the upper part of the screen, too. Fortunately, it is really noticeable only in a very dim room, and I almost never read in such conditions. So I can live with it.

And now there are rumours of a new Kindle model, so it's reasonable to wait a bit. Just my luck, of course.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I recently got a PW3 to replace my PW1. Visually, I don't find there's much difference, the lighting is a little more even in low light but I don't use it that way. The thing I notice most is that it is significantly more responsive, and I appreciate the improved typography and more refined UI.

I actually think the '$79' kindle has better contrast and bolder fonts, if you have no use for the front-light.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 05:04 AM   #6
henders254
Enthusiast
henders254 began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-15-2017 at 06:56 PM.
henders254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I recently got a PW3 to replace my PW1. Visually, I don't find there's much difference, the lighting is a little more even in low light but I don't use it that way. The thing I notice most is that it is significantly more responsive, and I appreciate the improved typography and more refined UI.

I actually think the '$79' kindle has better contrast and bolder fonts, if you have no use for the front-light.
i agree prob due to the extra level for the touch screen
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote