Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What about this Minimalist Windows App for Calibre?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #32
solomon
Connoisseur
solomon began at the beginning.

Device: Win 10
Ooh, very close to what I want! I'll drop Marty a note in the thread - looks great, thank you!

Richard
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure thing!

And I see you are a Rick Cook fan too!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #34
solomon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And I see you are a Rick Cook fan too!
I'm sad to say I don't remember where I got turned onto his stuff - might have been right here

Richard
Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I know where I got turned onto his stuff, and it was indeed right here

It started here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29#post2884929
Advert
Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #36
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
... Perhaps you could use a separate eBook library manager and send the books to the reading app just for reading while maintaining them in a separate app like Calibre.

Dale
This is exactly what I'm doing with Book Bazaar. I use calibre both for storing my complete library and sorting and searching. Win Modern interface apps generally use the devices main storage for their file, and Book Bazaar is one. Even when you use calibre to "Save to disk" to a folder on a microSD card, Book Bazaar will make a copy in its own space on the main storage drive. If you load too many books into its library you can fill a device's limited storage quickly.

I have calibre installed on my microSD card so a library of over 1000 books is no problem.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I simply have not found any ereader software that meets even my minimal requirements, except the one provided by Calibre: read the book from the folder where I put it, and leave my CSS alone. The fact that the e-reader software from Calibre is not really touch friendly (but it works) is minor compares to those two (I'd say) very simply requests...

Edit:

Oh, thank you for that link to that Minimalist Windows App for Calibre! I'll look at that this weekend

Last edited by Sweetpea; 02-12-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #38
solomon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
the e-reader software from Calibre is not really touch friendly (but it works)
Do you recall any particular changes you made to make it more friendly? I seem to remember being able to change icon sizes in Calibre itself but not the eReader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Oh, thank you for that link to that Minimalist Windows App for Calibre! I'll look at that this weekend
It (CalibreViewer) is pretty cool, but the author (Marty_B) hasn't signed on here since Halloween I believe so his real life and/or day job may have severely limited our chances of enhancements... Note also that CalibreViewer depends on an external ereader app, so you're still stuck with the "copies book to its own local storage before reading" behavior. I also noted that Book Bazaar at least doesn't work "well" with CalibreViewer because it stays on the last read book - so if you open book A and don't close it within BB, even when you launch book B you'll be back at book A. BB will in fact copy book B and ready it for reading but you won't know that. Freda works more the way I would expect - opening the book it was launched with. You are stuck with duplicate books though as both apps copy into local storage

It would be awesome if Marty continues to make improvements to CalibreViewer, and perhaps a partnership of some kind with the Freda guy would be ideal.... since CV has the underlying Calibre database and on-disk data structure knowledge, and Freda appears to be a good eReader app.

Richard
Old 02-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't change anything to make it more touch friendly. I just curse at it when it doesn't cooperate (which is about every time I want to get out of fullscreen mode). It just almost always refuses to recognize I have a touch screen and it'll give me that tiny menu instead of the nice and large one. And it always refuses ti recognize my right mouse click from my wacom pen.

About the CalibreViewer, I will still use the calibre eBook viewer, but Caliber itself is a major pain to use on an 8 inch screen, even with a wacom pen...
Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #40
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
The general consensus appears to be that caliber viewer is the best reader on a windows tablet. I have tried several and so far I agree, especially I like that the viewer can be used separately from the library management and conversion software so large databases of books can be accessed as required without moving things around. This is not true of ADE although it is a fair reader in a limited way. One reservation I have is it does not number the pages the same as in dedicated ebook readers and aldico and ADE so it can be a hassle to switch to reading on a windows device from one of these in the middle of a book. I noticed some years back when I had an Ipad that it also numbers pages differently. I would be grateful if the reason for this could be explained to me. Having said that the best way to read is on a dedicated eink device and I only use backlit LCD for short term late night reading.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

There is no standardized way of displaying page numbers, many ereaders follow Adobe's 1024-characters role model, Kindles don't show any unless a Real Page Numbers map is included, and very few actual EPUBs include the Page-map which in theory should obviate the need for all the guesswork. I have no idea how calibre calculates it, knowing the development model it probably uses some standard the IDPF came up with but everyone else ignored.

Personally I would just go with chapter numbers and a quote, difficult to mess those up. In fact, the academic world has more or less decided to go with that, and who would know better than they.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I always turn off page numbers anyway. If I read a book on multiple devices (I usually have different books on different devices), I'll just finish the chapter before moving on to the other reader...

Tags
reader software, tablet, windows 8.1