Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many of us are reading exclusively in electronic format?
Yes, I am reading in electronic format only 185 63.79%
No, not all of the books I read are electronic format 105 36.21%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #31
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I am first and foremost, a reader. So while I usually prefer ebooks, for convenience reasons, I have absolutely no issues switching between physical books and ebooks in my reading pursuits. I'm certainly not going to deprive myself of reading something I really want to read by zealously adhering to some random, self-imposed media restriction.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #32
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
The question is really general. I'm going to say I do not read ebooks exclusively as I prefer my video game strategy guides, knitting pattern books, and other graphic-intensive and reference books to be paper.

If the question is directed toward non-graphic reading material, then I *purchase* exclusively ebook, but still have many paper books from my pre-ebook days that are waiting to be read.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #33
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I'll read in any format anywhere anytime.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #34
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The only physical books I read are text books, but more often I read electronic journals therefore I'd say virtually read everything in electronic format these days. I don't miss paperbooks.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
If I can't change the font and text size, I don't want to read it. E-books all the way for me.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I went so far as to buy a copy of a book and send it to a scanner in order to get it into electronic format (A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth -- a brick of a book even in paperback). Reading a paper book is actually uncomfortable for me now (heavy, bulky, doesn't light up). I love my ereaders!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #37
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have lots of paper books on my shelves. I won't just throw them away cause I got an e-reader, so from time to time I grab one of them and read it.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #38
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I have four paper books that I've started which sit in various states of completion, mostly because I can't stand to pick them up anymore. Wish I had Kindle versions, but for one reason or another I don't and don't want to buy them again....

1) ... because I bought it from the author directly, who only sold the paper version ...
2) ... because my company bought it ...
3) ... because it's only available in paper ...
4) ... because I already owned a copy long before the ebook was released ...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #39
SFReader2012
SFReader2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android
There are still an awful lot of ebooks that are the same price as a new paperback. Many paperbacks can be bought for £0.01 plus postage (so a total of £2.69 or thereabouts) and are thus much cheaper. I can sell on my old paperbacks, or easily lend them to friends. I cannot do that with an ebook.
Ebooks are easier to transport, and sometimes one is available for free, but I am not convinced about their longevity. They are only data, and all of my microsoft reader books are an obsolete format. If I can read, a paperback is probably longer lasting. How will current formats fare? Probably we will have newer types so they can do more stuff. I needed something like calibre to convert them so that i can hopefully read them on my Nexus 7 with kindle (or some other e-reader program) installed.
So, I do both.
SFReader2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #40
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm not one of those who is a huge lover of books, how they feel, the smell etc, etc, but despite my initial scepticism of e-readers, now that I own one I just don't enjoy reading physical books. I've read two paperbacks since getting my Kindle, and I couldn't wait to finish them and get back to reading on my Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #41
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
I probably read two pbooks for each ebook that I read. The biggest reason for that is that I only buy non-DRM ebooks. Yes, I could buy a DRMed book and strip it, but if that's what's necessary, I'll just stick with the paper book. Why encourage them?

My ebook TBR (stack|shelf|directory) is fuller than my paper stack (by a factor of 3 or 4) but the limited number of e-publishers with a clue means that the flow of new books is still heavily weighted towards dead tree.

I'm perfectly happy to read either way -- I like the convenience (especially while travelling) of ebooks, but like the ability to easily share a paper book. Also, if there are graphics at all (maps, etc) then the pbook is superior.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #42
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
The last "Dead tree" version I read was "Atlas Shrugged" over ten years ago
stopped reading books entirely until I got my kindle fire one year ago and have read over 20 novels since then .
my qued (to be read) list is at least two years long.
not counting my new hoard of Digital comics from Marvel & Darkhorse

the E-reader has made me a reader again here in my late forties.
i see no useful purpose for paper books personally.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #43
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My reading is exclusively electronic. I just don't think I could go back. I also haven't come across something that wasn't available in ebook-format. Sometimes I have to read in English, because there is no Dutch ebook though.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #44
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I read nothing but ebooks. I like the fact that I can change the font as my eyes are going and some paperbacks are just way to little print for me
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #45
mavtrevor
mavtrevor began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tend to read longer and un-distracted with paper backs than electronically....so i will always have the paper back preference anytime.
mavtrevor is offline   Reply With Quote