Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #511
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I've now tried many of my favorite android apps from my EVO (still testing many more, believe it or not), but here are some of my personal must-have apps that mostly seem to work on the NookColo
Thanks for the awesome list, I think I've just downloaded 4, in a rush because I need to get my plug for nc. battery is draining, I'm sure it will get worse because of all these apps. the 15 apps looks interesting but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to side install as I do not see it on appbrain.

I cant wait to try out the aquarium looks like it is a pay app after 2 days so I'm waiting to dl'd tomorrow. I want to show off at a meeting , I'm also hoping to find a program like the forum one you suggested that will let me download and work offline like the net used to be! OMG I think I dated myself bigtime with that one. Does anyone remember the offline readers? I had one on my old 286 I think that was in MB!

I also noticed that not all email downloads so I need to play with that and the calendar to make sure it syncs the way I need it to.

So thanks to you and Scion and the other Nook Experts here for SHARING! and you actually posted links to each app! now that is above and beyond! Karma to you

Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #512
zetlorf
zetlorf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post
Skype is not working. What a pitty. I notice that the NC doesn't have a microphone, but I primarily use Skype for texting and would love to do that on the bigger keyboard than my iphone
Try https://imo.im/ and select Skype. It's working on my Kindle.
zetlorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #513
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
Advanced Task Killer Free!

A must have for Android! It automatically kills all open apps and helps save on battery usage. I had it on my phone, and it works well on the rooted NC too!
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #514
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniren View Post
Advanced Task Killer Free!

A must have for Android! It automatically kills all open apps and helps save on battery usage. I had it on my phone, and it works well on the rooted NC too!
Actually, with Android 2.1 and above (and arguably earlier), automated task killers really do more harm than good. Android manages memory quite well -- it purposefully uses as much memory as possible to pre-load apps so things open fast for you. Having bits in memory does not use CPU or battery. Changing those bits (like a task killer will) does! It's not good having a process pulling out apps from memory willy nilly (which is what 'killing an open app' does), especially since Android will just load them back again later. Causes unreproducible rare but random force closes and the like.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #515
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
Really? I have had it on my phone since I got it and never had problems, but something to think about. Thanks =)
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #516
jtpryan
jtpryan began at the beginning.

Device: color nook
How did you get teamview to work? When I go to connect, it just closes. No error, just goes away.
jtpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #517
pogophile
pogophile began at the beginning.

Device: Nookcolor, iPaq HX4700
Beyond reading

I'm at the tipping point; my wallet is trying to open itself to spring for a NC. And of course, being a compulsive tinker, it will get rooted straightaway.

I've now read all 30-some pages of this thread, and learned so much thanks to the generous sharing most of you do. A fair amount of the discussion has dealt with reader apps, and of course that is still the core functionality of the device, and what I most want the NC for.

But I am also a consumer of media in general, and there has been little or no discussion about other forms. My questions:

- How does this device do as a video player? What apps, if any, expand its capabilities for video?

- How about audio quality? Winamp has been listed among apps here, but I'd like to know about subjective audio quality, especially from any audiophiles in the group. I now have moderate hearing loss, and quality is even more important to me now than it was before.
pogophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #518
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogophile View Post
I'm at the tipping point; my wallet is trying to open itself to spring for a NC. And of course, being a compulsive tinker, it will get rooted straightaway.

I've now read all 30-some pages of this thread, and learned so much thanks to the generous sharing most of you do. A fair amount of the discussion has dealt with reader apps, and of course that is still the core functionality of the device, and what I most want the NC for.

But I am also a consumer of media in general, and there has been little or no discussion about other forms. My questions:

- How does this device do as a video player? What apps, if any, expand its capabilities for video?

- How about audio quality? Winamp has been listed among apps here, but I'd like to know about subjective audio quality, especially from any audiophiles in the group. I now have moderate hearing loss, and quality is even more important to me now than it was before.

Video is limited to m4v at basically 480p resolution (720x480 IIRC?) Extended codec support would take a different kernel / driver build, I believe, and that kind of thing is still in development at XDA. Unless I'm wrong (I haven't read up on the Honeycomb build much).

I like Winamp a lot on the NC. I'm no audiophile though, especially for PMPs. I'm a skeptical home theater enthusiast.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-15-2011 at 10:46 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #519
therealguppy
therealguppy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogophile View Post

Audio Quality is just ok. Pretty much on par with phones using same Chipset. Not nearly as good as dedicated Audio players. Using the Right Headphones and or Speakers is key to this,

Using my High End Headphones I get a Very loud Noticeable Hum, anytime the sound is engaged. however using my cheaper Headphones that came with one of my Mp3 players this hum is pretty much gone, if there is completely silence then i can almost hear it.

I honestly not smart enough when it comes to sound engineering to know what this hum is or why its there. I do know that my iPod can also show this type of hum when using my good headphones, but its barely noticeable in dead silence. I assume apple did alot to minimize this type of problem.

While I'm sure the makers of the nook cared very little about sound.

Bottom line is, Nook wont win over any audiophiles, but for normal uses its fine with the right headphones. I would not suggest high end headphones for the nook as most people are reporting this terrible hum with them.
therealguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #520
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have a number of movies on my iphone; I copied one of them into the video folder and they play perfectly on the nook. Now I am waiting for a very large SD card to arrive to put them all on.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #521
pogophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Video is limited to m4v at basically 480p resolution (720x480 IIRC?) Extended codec support would take a different kernel / driver build, I believe, and that kind of thing is still in development at XDA. Unless I'm wrong (I haven't read up on the Honeycomb build much).

I like Winamp a lot on the NC. I'm no audiophile though, especially for PMPs. I'm a skeptical home theater enthusiast.
Thanks for the input! This is what I've been wanting to learn about. I also belatedly noticed there is another thread talking about video issues in greater detail. The consensus seems to be that if an MP4 is properly formatted, the Nookcolour does a really good job with it.

The good folks behind VLC (so brilliant on Windows) are apparently working on an Android version, but given the platform variables, who knows if or how it will work for the NC.

I'm a Winamp fan, so I'm glad to hear it works well here.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #522
pogophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguppy View Post
Audio Quality is just ok. Pretty much on par with phones using same Chipset. Not nearly as good as dedicated Audio players. Using the Right Headphones and or Speakers is key to this,

Using my High End Headphones I get a Very loud Noticeable Hum, anytime the sound is engaged. however using my cheaper Headphones that came with one of my Mp3 players this hum is pretty much gone, if there is completely silence then i can almost hear it.

I honestly not smart enough when it comes to sound engineering to know what this hum is or why its there. I do know that my iPod can also show this type of hum when using my good headphones, but its barely noticeable in dead silence. I assume apple did alot to minimize this type of problem.

While I'm sure the makers of the nook cared very little about sound.

Bottom line is, Nook wont win over any audiophiles, but for normal uses its fine with the right headphones. I would not suggest high end headphones for the nook as most people are reporting this terrible hum with them.
Thanks for the info. The hum sounds like an issue, but I don't think I'll be listening to this as an audio device very often, and when I do it'll probably be in the confines of a noisy environment like an airplane, where the hum would likely be overwhelmed by similar frequencies. I have an assortment of plugs/phones with differing efficiencies, so I'll probably be able to get the sort of volume I need to watch video happily.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #523
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
I did a thread search and couldn't find it mentioned, so here's another little tidbit:

If your phone will support infrastructure mode (and for you Droid X users it does), Wireless Tether for Root 2.0.6 and the NOOKcolor work very well together... so I'm told.
I just drove from Utah to California across beautiful Nevada. I teathered my NC to my phone using the HTC HD2 Moble Hotspot and it worked fine. Very cool to surf while in the middle of nowhere.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #524
Sanborn32
Sanborn32 began at the beginning.

when you d/l the nooter file its inside a compressed file..you have to extract it to a folder.
Sanborn32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #525
TheMainCat
Nameless Being

Everywhere I see, others have been able to install N64oid and Cordy on their Nook's. Not me. Both apps are telling me installation failed. My nook is rooted and I have copied an app from my Droid 2 to the Nook before. Any thoughts?