Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Today, 03:01 AM   #31786
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Currently reading:
The Boy in the Suitcase (Book 1 Nina Borg Series)
by Lene Kaaberbol and Agnette Friis
Having fun with this, it hits a lot of my blindspots as a reader. Murder mystery, thriller, series, current (ish), authored by women, for a female audience. Not that I avoid this type of book, just outside my normal zone.

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
The sex scenes are a bit much but enjoying the ride otherwise. The story is unfolding slowly but is not boring at all.

History of the Sikhs vol 1. by Kushwant Singh
Read this last, for sure most if it went over my head so I'm re reading this.
Full of action, adventure and philosophy from medieval Punjab and surrounding cultures.

Just finished :
Say it with Bullets by Richard Powell
Recentlybegan collecting books from the Hard Case Crime Imprint, this is the first one I read.
Here's a link to my YouTube channel re view:
https://youtu.be/ou0r3RWdeoQ?si=Uv-CHue0ltK5MrJ2

Last edited by BenBanned; Today at 03:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #31787
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Comments on the differences between the Astounding version of Methuselah's Children and the novel version.

I'm not going to spoiler this as the main difference is most interesting, and worthy of discussion.

Generally it's like the Lensman series, minor tweaks here and there all over the place. However, there is a major change in the ending sequence. The pulp version ends with a "gobblegook" version of anti-aging, but the novel version used a totally different concept.

That concept appeared to be another "gobblegook" answer - but it wan't. That was the strange thing. The new answer wasn't actually gobblegook - it was based on a research paper published less than a year before the re-write. The paper was the first parabiosis experiment. (It was difficult to do and because of that) it was not followed up on. By the late 1970's, it was not even mentioned in the molecular biology research. Reading it as a kid, I thought it was like FTL drives, simply a plot device, with no reality behind it.

It's now a major breakthough in aging research. Instead of using whole blood, a select fraction is used. So far it has only increased test animal lifespan by 15-20 percent but it rejuvenates ld lab animals back into young animals. (Two different trial by two different groups, one with rats and one with mice.)

Interesing how Heinlein found and picked that research in the re-write.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote