Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
meandher57
Enthusiast
meandher57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Desktop App and TWO Kobos??

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered... or if it's just so blatantly obvious that it should never have been asked....

My wife has discovered the joys of Kobo so I think we will end up getting her one of her own... so I can get back to reading MY stuff.

The question is... how do you handle two Kobos with the Desktop App? If I plug in hers (once we get it) and sync, is she going to end up with MY books?

Or do I have to log out of the desktop app and create a separate log in with a different email address for her?

Also... for those of you who use the drag-and-drop procedure... can you just drop your epub anywhere, or does it have to be within a specific file on the Kobo hard drive? Until now I have been using ADE to sideload (since I had issues with Calibre) but it's such a long process importing IN to calibre to change format and update metadata... and then importing THAT file into ADE to upload it to my Kobo.
meandher57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
From my perspective, the issue is not that you would both have all the books (after all, there is lots of room), but rather, the sync function if you both are reading the same book at the same time. I would not set up separate accounts--just in case you do want to read the same books without buying them twice.

Try sideloading loading via Calibre again. It really seems to work for most people. Be sure you have the most recent version, and be aware that the newly improved Kobo Calibre driver is scheduled for the next update--through this one seems to work pretty well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
meandher57
Enthusiast

I would love to trust Calibre.... after all it is the one tool that seems to do it all... but SOMETHING screwed up my original Kobo so that it would not disconnect properly.... and it would freeze up after every charging/managing session with my computer and have to be rebooted.

It could be Calibre...
It could have been the SD card...
It could have been my computer...
It could have been a corrupt epub.

All I know is since I have been taking the long way around with my replacement Kobo... calibre...then ADE... I haven't had problems. Knock wood. And I am using the SD card only for external storage of all the books I haven't loaded onto the Kobo yet. Never the twain shall meet!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

never mind--I deleted a response I am quite sure wouldn't have helped.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered... or if it's just so blatantly obvious that it should never have been asked....

My wife has discovered the joys of Kobo so I think we will end up getting her one of her own... so I can get back to reading MY stuff.

The question is... how do you handle two Kobos with the Desktop App? If I plug in hers (once we get it) and sync, is she going to end up with MY books?

Or do I have to log out of the desktop app and create a separate log in with a different email address for her?

Also... for those of you who use the drag-and-drop procedure... can you just drop your epub anywhere, or does it have to be within a specific file on the Kobo hard drive? Until now I have been using ADE to sideload (since I had issues with Calibre) but it's such a long process importing IN to calibre to change format and update metadata... and then importing THAT file into ADE to upload it to my Kobo.
My wife and I both have Kobos (both first gens) and share an account. One of us uses the sync and the other sideloads via ADE for kpubs. For non DRM books we just drag and drop (using windows to the internal memory of the Kobo).

We've never had a problem and it works well for us since occasionally we read the same book...
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Another possibility is to create a separate user account on the computer and just log in as the new user, then create a new account with the Kobo bookstore. One computer, two separate users, two kobo accounts, two Kobo readers. This will work to have two separate ADE accounts, as well. This works with Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux, because they all keep each user's data separate from each other and from the programs.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Another possibility is to create a separate user account on the computer and just log in as the new user, then create a new account with the Kobo bookstore. One computer, two separate users, two kobo accounts, two Kobo readers. This will work to have two separate ADE accounts, as well. This works with Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux, because they all keep each user's data separate from each other and from the programs.
This is the correct approach.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
meandher57
Enthusiast

Do you mean a separate computer log-in? Or a separate Kobo desktop log-in? I see my email address shows up on the Kobo desktop application, so I assume I could log out of it, and create a new user profile for my wife.

If you are suggesting a complete new computer profile and log-in... I don't see that as an acceptable solution.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Posted in wrong thread.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
meandher57
Enthusiast

Wrong thread?

I apologize if that is the case... but this is a follow-up to a question I posed in
the Kobo reader forum... in a thread I started....inquiring about how to handle two Kobos with one desktop application.

As always, I would welcome it if you could point me to the CORRECT thread then.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Wrong thread?
I think taming posted one of her own messages in this thread incorrectly, not yours.

Quote:
I see my email address shows up on the Kobo desktop application, so I assume I could log out of it, and create a new user profile for my wife.
Yes, you can do that, but then she can't download and read any of your books to her e-reader, and vise-versa. If you want to share books, you require the same Kobo account.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I posted in the wrong thread--not you. This early in the morning, my pronouns sometimes fail to appear.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
Do you mean a separate computer log-in? Or a separate Kobo desktop log-in? I see my email address shows up on the Kobo desktop application, so I assume I could log out of it, and create a new user profile for my wife.

If you are suggesting a complete new computer profile and log-in... I don't see that as an acceptable solution.
I was referring to both separate desktop logins and Kobo logins. Each device can be tied to one Kobo account. Each desktop app is tied to 1 Windows profile and can manage one Kobo account.

So you can have 2 Windows accounts and 2 Kobo accounts and 2 devices on one PC; or alternatively Sync multiple Kobo devices to one Kobo account.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
I was referring to both separate desktop logins and Kobo logins. Each device can be tied to one Kobo account. Each desktop app is tied to 1 Windows profile and can manage one Kobo account.

So you can have 2 Windows accounts and 2 Kobo accounts and 2 devices on one PC; or alternatively Sync multiple Kobo devices to one Kobo account.
Since the desktop appears to redownload all material each time you login to it, could you also (as long as you were VERY careful) just login to the correct Kobo account on a single desktop before plugging in the eReader?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
meandher57
Enthusiast

Okay... last stupid question for this thread (I hope!)

if my wife gets the touch...and I reclaim my wifi version... is the desktop application smart enough to detect which version you have plugged in, and only download the appropriate software update?

(I ASSUME that it's different for each model)