Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 02:54 AM   #31
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
heres the link to the product > amazon.de
Thanks!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #32
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
So I see complaints that Onyx does not support customers by updating devices to current versions of Android, but I have no idea how that impacts users. Can anyone elaborate?

Is using Android 9 a major reason to prefer the Nova 2 to Nova Pro? Does Likebook do any better?
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #33
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post

Is using Android 9 a major reason to prefer the Nova 2 to Nova Pro? Does Likebook do any better?
Why should a device that appears in 2020 run with a 5 year old Android 6 system ? Of course it is an incentive to buy!
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #34
mtreader
Connoisseur

I asked how that would impact users and your answer gave no relevant information. I have no issues using 7-year old Windows platform on my PC. How exactly would having an older version of Anfroid make a device less functional?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #35
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
So I see complaints that Onyx does not support customers by updating devices to current versions of Android, but I have no idea how that impacts users. Can anyone elaborate?

I suspect that Android 9, in and of itself, wouldn't really affect my experience of the Nova Pro all that greatly. It is a great device and I am very happy with it which is why I'm not rushing to buy the new Nova 2 even though it has some other feateures such as OTG capabilities which I would like.

However, from what I have read, Android 9 is more secure than Android 6. That might impact some users. My Nova Pro is so rarely connected to the internet that that is not a significant issue.

Also, from what I have read, some apps won't run on older versions of Android. So if you require a certain app and it won't run on your device because it has an older OS, that would impact you. Fortunately, the apps which I mainly use still work with Android 6. However, I still have some Android 4 tablets which are perfectly functional but which will not work with some of the apps which I now consider essential. So having a modern OS could be a very real concern for some people.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 12:08 AM   #36
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
As far as I know Android 9 has better power management features which means longer battery life
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:46 AM   #37
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I asked how that would impact users and your answer gave no relevant information. I have no issues using 7-year old Windows platform on my PC. How exactly would having an older version of Anfroid make a device less functional?
I have Likebook Alita and Likebook Ares - both with Android 6 and each device equipped with an internally formatted 512 GB SD card.
I have not yet discovered an advantage for a higher version of Android that would be relevant for eInk screens and the associated applications.
My only reason to be interested in Onyx Boox Nova 2 is that the note function should not only work in pdf files (as with Likebook), but also in epub etc.
The lowest Android version relevant to my needs is 4.4 - from this version all apps I need run.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:01 AM   #38
mtreader
Connoisseur

Thanks for all the insights Question Mark, ottischwenk, psbernitz!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:42 AM   #39
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Of course, I will not only use the device as an ebook reader; I use google services such as gmail, voice input or Chromecast. For this reason alone, a more current OS is an advantage. Features such as split screen mode, night mode are only available in later versions. Improved Bluetooth, power management and security as mentioned earlier. Just look for the version differences and decide whether you need it.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_...roid-Versionen
Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #40
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me is there nothing of interest.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #41
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

I received mine today. If you have any questions I will try to help
Old 03-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #42
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I received mine today. If you have any questions I will try to help
Can you make notes in epub and other book files?
Old 03-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #43
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

yes thats possible
Old 03-31-2020, 07:19 PM   #44
mtreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Of course, I will not only use the device as an ebook reader; I use google services such as gmail, voice input or Chromecast. For this reason alone, a more current OS is an advantage. Features such as split screen mode, night mode are only available in later versions. Improved Bluetooth, power management and security as mentioned earlier. Just look for the version differences and decide whether you need it.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_...roid-Versionen
Thank you for the details.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #45
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

i installed gboard and tried to activate speech recognition without success, i think it is due to missing google services and will keep trying some apps.