Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
Sango10
Sango10 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
10" no browser/distraction apps

Hi,
I want to buy as the title says an ereader that's 10" minimum and which has no browser. I want to take notes on it but if I can't, it's not too bothersome. The main thing is I want to be able to read mangas on it and I want it to be distraction free. And also durable but that goes without saying
I made a post on the onyx subforum asking if I could somehow "limit" the Note Pro/Note 2 to a simple device( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327931) but it seems like it can't be done. I sent an email to boox support team too but I was told the same thing sadly :/
I saw the Remarkable device after that but it seems as if the device is a little bit slow and could do with some improvements. But at that price, I want something better
Thank you
Sango10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:15 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
anything is distraction free if you have the willpower to use airplane mode !

and browsers can be deleted or disabled

stop expecting technology to fix your impulse control, maybe
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2020, 03:32 AM   #3
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
You haven't specified eink, so I'm going to suggest you get a tablet. You will get more grunt for a much lower price at that display size.

Distractions will only distract you if you set them to. Delete or sequester unwanted apps, set all your Notifications to nil, and read on.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:37 AM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Pocketbook InkPad X could be right for you. It has a 10 inch screen and note taking capabilities.
It also has a browser, but normally browsing on Pocketbook devices is very slow and not much fun.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:39 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Web browsing on e-ink is an exercise in frustration. Even if it's there, you're not gonna want to use it unless absolutely necessary so I don't think you'd have much to worry about on that front.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Sango10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
anything is distraction free if you have the willpower to use airplane mode !

and browsers can be deleted or disabled

stop expecting technology to fix your impulse control, maybe
I was waiting for that answer ... it solves nothing but thank you I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by meera View Post
You haven't specified eink, so I'm going to suggest you get a tablet. You will get more grunt for a much lower price at that display size.

Distractions will only distract you if you set them to. Delete or sequester unwanted apps, set all your Notifications to nil, and read on.
Ah, I thought I mentioned eink my bad. In theory that works but I just want a device that solely focus on the things mentioned above and that do them well. I tried the things you mention and other options but I have come to realize it just does not cut it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
The Pocketbook InkPad X could be right for you. It has a 10 inch screen and note taking capabilities.
It also has a browser, but normally browsing on Pocketbook devices is very slow and not much fun.
Nice, I'll look into it thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Web browsing on e-ink is an exercise in frustration. Even if it's there, you're not gonna want to use it unless absolutely necessary so I don't think you'd have much to worry about on that front.
I see thanks. I saw some videos on the Note Pro browser I think and while a little bit slow seemed pretty ok if you had a little bit patience. I guess it has one of the best browser and it's not like that for all devices
Old 03-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
There's the sony DPT CP1. I don't think that has a browser... but, then, it only reads pdfs.

Just chipping in from my own experience. I had an older Onyx with browser, but 1) wifi sucks the battery, 2) the browser experience was clunky, and I hated trying to use the keypad, letter at a time to type in web addresses therefore I never used it. Never connected it to WIFI. Just used USB to access the device from my PC.

Perhaps the newer models have a better browsing experience which would be more tempting... but that was mine. 4 years, never used the net on it...

I think it also kinda hurt my pride... when you have a device famous for its battery life and you turn WIFI on and watch it shrivel up.

I'm surprised you can't remove the browser on the Notes. I'd ask around a bit more about this...
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

try some 10+ inch hardback printed books .

good, clear text; distraction free, no browsers, works in sunlight.....

... not waterproof though
Old 03-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
Sango10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
There's the sony DPT CP1. I don't think that has a browser... but, then, it only reads pdfs.

Just chipping in from my own experience. I had an older Onyx with browser, but 1) wifi sucks the battery, 2) the browser experience was clunky, and I hated trying to use the keypad, letter at a time to type in web addresses therefore I never used it. Never connected it to WIFI. Just used USB to access the device from my PC.

Perhaps the newer models have a better browsing experience which would be more tempting... but that was mine. 4 years, never used the net on it...

I think it also kinda hurt my pride... when you have a device famous for its battery life and you turn WIFI on and watch it shrivel up.

I'm surprised you can't remove the browser on the Notes. I'd ask around a bit more about this...
I'm trying in the end the Remarkable device to see how it goes despite my initial sentiments in the original post. If I'm not satisfied, I'll try the Supernote A5. If it fails again, I'll just buy down tools and resign myself to lcd screens lol
And yeah, seems like wifi drains way too fast e-readers' battery but at least it seems like it's for all e-readers and not some selected models

Quote:
try some 10+ inch hardback printed books .

good, clear text; distraction free, no browsers, works in sunlight.....

... not waterproof though
Second post where you're unhelpful while everyone else is at least contributing.
FYI, I read enough physical books, read more than 50 books last year( I counted). Just because I want a free distraction device does not mean I don't read. Nobody likes a smartass
Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango10 View Post
I'm trying in the end the Remarkable device to see how it goes despite my initial sentiments in the original post.
Personally, I think you gave up on the Note 2 too quickly. Onyx's system tend to be much more customizable than others.

However!please give us an update after you've had a go with the Remarkable. I'm also looking for an e-reader to write on.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango10 View Post

Second post where you're unhelpful while everyone else is at least contributing.
FYI, I read enough physical books, read more than 50 books last year( I counted). Just because I want a free distraction device does not mean I don't read. Nobody likes a smartass
just testing your impulse control / ability to ignore distractions.
still needs work I see

i begin to understand why you need something with no browser
Old 03-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
Sango10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
Personally, I think you gave up on the Note 2 too quickly. Onyx's system tend to be much more customizable than others.

However!please give us an update after you've had a go with the Remarkable. I'm also looking for an e-reader to write on.
It may be very well be so, the best thing would be having them all and testing+comparing them against each other but that would be way too costly.
I'll write my impressions when I get it although I don't know when it will be. I may also try the Supernote A5. I think a mini-review on that device will help a lot of people because there is so little info on that device and it's a competitor to the Remarkable given their focus on the handwriting experience

Quote:
just testing your impulse control / ability to ignore distractions.
still needs work I see

i begin to understand why you need something with no browser
Nice comeback, happy your understanding is getting better